Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Will be moving to Greenville in September. No idea what to expect for trails here compared to the ones I normally run in the Rockies...
Welcome! You'll be relatively close to the Smoky Mountains in TN and some nice terrain in NC. NW South Carolina is mountainous, SE (lowcountry) South Carolina, not so much ...
Sponsored

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Ordered July 20, arrived at the dealer Aug 16 (27 days total), picked up Aug 25 and drove home - sweetest 9 hour ride ever ...

Jeep Wrangler JL South Carolina Roll Call dc1

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

Will be moving to Greenville in September. No idea what to expect for trails here compared to the ones I normally run in the Rockies...
Unfortunately, there's not much around. Uwharrie, Gulches park, Beasley Knob and Windrock will be the closest ones to you with the Gulches park being the closest. I think Uwharrie and Beasley Knob are about 3hrs away from Greenville and Windrock is about 4hrs out. That's about it. Welcome to Greenville though, are you coming to work for BMW?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Unfortunately, there's not much around. Uwharrie, Gulches park, Beasley Knob and Windrock will be the closest ones to you with the Gulches park being the closest. I think Uwharrie and Beasley Knob are about 3hrs away from Greenville and Windrock is about 4hrs out. That's about it. Welcome to Greenville though, are you coming to work for BMW?
No, still working for a datacenter company full-time remote.

Someone was telling me about a SCAR trail. Is that worth investigating at all?

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

My understanding is it's a mix of paved and unpaved roads in a loop down to the beach and back. Would be fantastic for overlanding if that's your thing. Something like 1000mi total. There's also the Georgia traverse which is similar.

Sponsored

wreck99

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon, 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn
Clubs

I did a little of the SCAR trail earlier this week. It was a good mix of gravel roads, dirt roads, mud, and some pavement. Nothing super technical but some rough parts. All in all good fun. Can anyone recommend other trails in the area? I'm at the very top of SC near Charlotte.

20240116_164642.jpg

20240116_165144.jpg

20240116_165631.jpg

20240116_170125.jpg

20240116_170131.jpg

Tutt

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU and '16 Mini Clubman
I did a little of the SCAR trail earlier this week. It was a good mix of gravel roads, dirt roads, mud, and some pavement. Nothing super technical but some rough parts. All in all good fun. Can anyone recommend other trails in the area? I'm at the very top of SC near Charlotte.

Jeep Wrangler JL South Carolina Roll Call 20240116_170131

I'm from Charlotte đź‘‹

The closest would be Uwharrie (NC) and Gulches (SC).
Uwharrie trails are closed until April 1st but you can still drive the gravel/dirt service roads and camp.

Other than that you got forrest services roads throughout WNC and with very few trails.

wreck99

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I'm from Charlotte đź‘‹

The closest would be Uwharrie (NC) and Gulches (SC).
Uwharrie trails are closed until April 1st but you can still drive the gravel/dirt service roads and camp.

Other than that you got forrest services roads throughout WNC and with very few trails.
Hey there! Cool to see someone close by on here! It is a hike to get there. Is it still worth checking out or best to wait until it opens? There's still the SCAR which is pretty cool and I haven't gone far on yet. I also heard about Old NC 105 which is on my list.

Tutt

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey there! Cool to see someone close by on here! It is a hike to get there. Is it still worth checking out or best to wait until it opens? There's still the SCAR which is pretty cool and I haven't gone far on yet. I also heard about Old NC 105 which is on my list.

Uwharrie is a great place to camp during the off-season. Easier to find dispersed camping and not a lot of traffic.
If you want to test your off-road capabilities, this would be the place to test them out, during the open-season.

The views on NC 105 is what makes that trip worthwhile. Also, an awesome place to camp if you're able to get a spot with a view. Plus, there is a spot to hike down to see the waterfall.

wreck99

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Uwharrie is a great place to camp during the off-season. Easier to find dispersed camping and not a lot of traffic.
If you want to test your off-road capabilities, this would be the place to test them out, during the open-season.

The views on NC 105 is what makes that trip worthwhile. Also, an awesome place to camp if you're able to get a spot with a view. Plus, there is a spot to hike down to see the waterfall.
I've seen a few videos of overlanders traveling NC 105, it looks amazing! I don't necessarily need to camp, it's not that far away but I'm not opposed to it. It's been forever since I've camped. I'm also interested in these badges of honor for the easier trails since I am stock and inexperienced. It looks like there's a couple in the carolinas. I'm new to all of this but excited to check it all out.

Sponsored

Tutt

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen a few videos of overlanders traveling NC 105, it looks amazing! I don't necessarily need to camp, it's not that far away but I'm not opposed to it. It's been forever since I've camped. I'm also interested in these badges of honor for the easier trails since I am stock and inexperienced. It looks like there's a couple in the carolinas. I'm new to all of this but excited to check it all out.
I’m new to the Jeep world, just got mine last week.
I have a non-Rubi but with a 2” spacer lift with 34”. Looking to upgrade the suspension soon and get rid of the spacers.

If you ever need somebody to tag along just send me a message.

wreck99

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I’m new to the Jeep world, just got mine last week.
I have a non-Rubi but with a 2” spacer lift with 34”. Looking to upgrade the suspension soon and get rid of the spacers.

If you ever need somebody to tag along just send me a message.
Hell yeah that would be awesome. Probably best to not go it alone anyways.
Sponsored