Floor Jack for Installing Lift

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
OK. So I got my 37's on mu JLUR, still stock height. Have me 2.5 inch lift that I want to install. I have a standard Craftsman 3 ton floor jack. Lifts to about 19 5/6 inches. I went out and tried to lift from the frame behind the front tire and it barely lifts high enough to get the front tire off the ground. I feel like that will not be enough to get the lift in and the the tires back on. Thought about using some blocks to essentially make the jack hit sooner, but that seems like it would make the Jeep unstable. Any ideas? Would using some kind of block be OK?
Sponsored

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
Use the jack under the axle to lift. Put heavy duty jack stands under the frame. Take the tires off and put them on each side under the frame near the end you're working on, as an added safety measure. This will free up your jack to use under the axle as you install the lift. Never ever work under a vehicle lifted only by a jack.

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks. So it is safe to lift from the axle? I do have the jack stands and plan to use them, not going to get under the vehicle when it is just supported by a jack. I was just worried that it was not getting the Jeep high enough.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Use the jack under the axle to lift. Put heavy duty jack stands under the frame. Take the tires off and put them on each side under the frame near the end you're working on, as an added safety measure. This will free up your jack to use under the axle as you install the lift. Never ever work under a vehicle lifted only by a jack.
+1 here.
I used a Husky set to lift at the axle, then put jackstands under the frame. I used a second set of jackstands under the axle when I had the tires off. That was to install a 3.5" lift. With the tires out, the axle droop is enough to work the lift install. Then, lift from the axle again to re-install tires. Using the tires under the frame is good redundancy.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You will probably need taller jack stands than the 3 ton ones. I have 37s abs a 2.5” lift. I got a jack that lifts higher (24 1/4”)and 12 ton jack stands.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You can use some large stacked plywood sections (like 12"x12")to get some lift for your jackstands if you only need an inch or two.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Thanks. So it is safe to lift from the axle? I do have the jack stands and plan to use them, not going to get under the vehicle when it is just supported by a jack. I was just worried that it was not getting the Jeep high enough.
The manual actually recommends jacking on the axle. But having jack stands under the axle requires lower total lift after lowering onto the stands.

The driver-side front has less free axle clearance to allow enough room for a jack plus and jack stand, so you might need to jack higher from the frame first then place the jack stand.

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
Does anyone have photos of a recommend setup that they used?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have photos of a recommend setup that they used?
This isn’t the only way to do it, but this works best for me. And after dozens of lift installs on my garage floor over the past 3 years, and my age, I’m not gonna be looking for a better “mouse trap” now…….😄 .

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor Jack for Installing Lift 79F9606F-7D20-4D40-BCBD-55F797407A1A
Jeep Wrangler JL Floor Jack for Installing Lift 6B07C830-8B20-4B26-BA00-055ED72A6054

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Make sure to avoid the the harbor freight jack stands that had the unexpected auto close feature. I’m sure there are still a few sets of those floating around.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure to avoid the the harbor freight jack stands that had the unexpected auto close feature. I’m sure there are still a few sets of those floating around.
Yup…… I took a set in for refund….

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for all the replies. The equipment that I have is not adequate. I lifted it up, put the jack stands under the frame as tall as they get, and there is not enough droop for the springs to come out. So - I am looking at taller jack stands. The ones that I have only go up to 17 1/8 and are rated for 3 tons. I found some 6 tons ones that go up to 23 13/16. I am assuming that would be tall enough. Any suggestions about those?

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I used to tell people to build some cribbage out of 2x4s and put the jack stand on top of that but with the price of wood that puts the entire project over budget lol. Harbor freight had some 6 ton ones that would with 37s on my Cummins but it looks like they don’t carry them anymore.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I used to tell people to build some cribbage out of 2x4s and put the jack stand on top of that but with the price of wood that puts the entire project over budget lol. Harbor freight had some 6 ton ones that would with 37s on my Cummins but it looks like they don’t carry them anymore.
I have the 6 tons and they work well with a lifted Jeep on 37s.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Something like this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Floor Jack for Installing Lift BD94EBC2-C96E-4D3A-AA25-329A7BA75837

one of my co workers suggested cribbage. He’s a volunteer fireman and said they use it to support fire trucks.
Sponsored