Floor Lifts, Jack Stands, Bottle Lift?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Thanks, suspension is my first use for these (and oil change, tire rotation).

Some reviewer comments on those 30 stabilizers make me a bit skittish. Are those definitely legit to use as jack stands?

Next question - should I plan on 4 stands to have everything up and level for the suspension work? Or is it fine to do front end then back end with just two stands?
I wouldn’t use 4. Work one axle at a time.
As for the Jack stands, any will be wobbly fully extended. You don’t want to do that. You lift, take tire off and set the jack stands in position but much lower. No need to keep the Jeep that high. Lower is safer. lower the jack to have the frame meet the jack stand. You only need enough height to let suspension fully drop. You don’t need to clear the tire at this stage.
Sponsored

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I wouldn’t use 4. Work one axle at a time.
As for the Jack stands, any will be wobbly fully extended. You don’t want to do that. You lift, take tire off and set the jack stands in position but much lower. No need to keep the Jeep that high. Lower is safer. lower the jack to have the frame meet the jack stand. You only need enough height to let suspension fully drop. You don’t need to clear the tire at this stage.
Thanks for all of your help!

About to pull the trigger on this setup. I believe it will have me covered between 2” of lift and 37s, with a 22” floor jack and then jack stands at 23.5”.

Any concerns before I click the button?

8CE4DD70-43B7-4A76-8143-CDF0681656C6.png

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

About to pull the trigger on this setup. I believe it will have me covered between 2” of lift and 37s, with a 22” floor jack and then jack stands at 23.5”.

8CE4DD70-43B7-4A76-8143-CDF0681656C6.png
Sure!! Just try not to use the jack stands at full extension regardless of brand.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
There are concerns with some of the ratcheting type jack stands that they could start quickly ratcheting down if bumped by a tool or whatever when they are lightly loaded. As such, some manufacturers have started to add pins to the stands as an additional safety measure.

In my opinion, the old pin type jack stand where you have basically two pieces of pipe (or square tubing) sized such that one easily slides inside the other and holes drilled in the upper piece at the various height adjustments is probably the most fool-proof and easy to inspect for potential problems. If you need a finer level of adjustment on the height though, the screw type mechanisms are nice to have.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are concerns with some of the ratcheting type jack stands that they could start quickly ratcheting down if bumped by a tool or whatever when they are lightly loaded. As such, some manufacturers have started to add pins to the stands as an additional safety measure.

In my opinion, the old pin type jack stand where you have basically two pieces of pipe (or square tubing) sized such that one easily slides inside the other and holes drilled in the upper piece at the various height adjustments is probably the most fool-proof and easy to inspect for potential problems. If you need a finer level of adjustment on the height though, the screw type mechanisms are nice to have.
I agree with you. Like you say the ratchet type when lightly loaded could be bumped and fail. The ones the OP is looking at have the extra pin.
I have both types, the square pipe with pin and the ratchet. I always go for the ratcheted because is so easier to use. I don’t compromise on safety. I still do as my dad taught me, and throw the tire under the car for last backup. :like: Some of my friends think it’s silly, but I grew up working (and watching) with heavy equipment. Suspended loads are something not to play with.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

If you are only jacking on the axles as recommended in the JL's manual, then the amount of lift does not matter, only half of whatever increase in wheel diameter matters. If you are needing to support the frame because you are doing work on the suspension, then that would not be the case and as such, body or suspension lifts could make a difference.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t compromise on safety. I still do as my dad taught me, and throw the tire under the car for last backup. :like: Some of my friends think it’s silly, but I grew up working (and watching) with heavy equipment. Suspended loads are something not to play with.
Agreed... It all boils down to:

GRAVITY SUCKS...

:)

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I agree with you. Like you say the ratchet type when lightly loaded could be bumped and fail. The ones the OP is looking at have the extra pin.
I have both types, the square pipe with pin and the ratchet. I always go for the ratcheted because is so easier to use. I don’t compromise on safety. I still do as my dad taught me, and throw the tire under the car for last backup. :like: Some of my friends think it’s silly, but I grew up working (and watching) with heavy equipment. Suspended loads are something not to play with.
Never heard that idea before. But I like it. Thanks!

Gadgetguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I just got done putting a 3.5" lift on my wife's JL. I used 4 jack stands (Craftsman, standard height), 2 floor jacks (Craftsman 3-ton and 4-ton), and an 8-ton bottle jack. And lots of 2x4's cut into 1 foot lengths. I'll say it was a bit sketchy at times, even though I've worked on plenty of vehicles, it always makes me a bit nervous having a vehicle on jack stands. Have to get the Jeep way up in the air to remove and install the springs. Had to use 2x4's to make bases for the jack stands so they would be high enough. Also had to put wood blocks on the floor jack to get it to lift high enough. Helps if the surface you are working on is completely flat which my driveway isn't. Would have also been nice to have another person to help but I did it solo. I did the front in one day and then did the rear the next day.

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I just got done putting a 3.5" lift on my wife's JL. I used 4 jack stands (Craftsman, standard height), 2 floor jacks (Craftsman 3-ton and 4-ton), and an 8-ton bottle jack. And lots of 2x4's cut into 1 foot lengths. I'll say it was a bit sketchy at times, even though I've worked on plenty of vehicles, it always makes me a bit nervous having a vehicle on jack stands. Have to get the Jeep way up in the air to remove and install the springs. Had to use 2x4's to make bases for the jack stands so they would be high enough. Also had to put wood blocks on the floor jack to get it to lift high enough. Helps if the surface you are working on is completely flat which my driveway isn't. Would have also been nice to have another person to help but I did it solo. I did the front in one day and then did the rear the next day.
I’ll probably be splitting between two days, too.

Can I ask why so many stands and jacks?

My plan is to jack the front, put two stands under the frame (one on driver side front, one on passenger side front), then use the jack to droop the front axle slowly/controlled. Then move on to the back (likely day two, like you did) and repeat.

I have been assuming this would take just the two stands + one jack. Bad plan?

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

My plan is to jack the front, put two stands under the frame (one on driver side front, one on passenger side front), then use the jack to droop the front axle slowly/controlled. Then move on to the back (likely day two, like you did) and repeat.

Good plan. One axle at the time. I’ve done it before. You want a helper and you may need some kind of pry bar or lever to move things around.
I have a pair of cheap coil spring compressors from Harbor Freight that makes it much easier but not a must have.

Last edited:

Gadgetguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara

I used the additional jacks and stands for extra support and for supporting or raising and lowering the axle while working on the lift kit. I just liked to have extra support while working under the Jeep, although realistically it was probably just more of a mental thing than the additional stands actually doing anything. Also supporting the front driveshaft while disconnected or removing it. You might not need to do that depending on the lift kit. My kit came with a new front driveshaft so it would get removed completely.

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I used the additional jacks and stands for extra support and for supporting or raising and lowering the axle while working on the lift kit. I just liked to have extra support while working under the Jeep, although realistically it was probably just more of a mental thing than the additional stands actually doing anything. Also supporting the front driveshaft while disconnected or removing it. You might not need to do that depending on the lift kit. My kit came with a new front driveshaft so it would get removed completely.
Thanks!

I'm spending more than I wanted to (and probably more than I *need* to), but I think I'm going to go with what is attached. I'll get 24.25" of lift out of the jack and the jack stands are overkill at 12 tons (nice confidence boost there). The stands have great reviews and will give 30" - so I can drop them down to 24" (just under my the floor jack height) and have adequate clearance without fully extending the stands.

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.22.13 AM.png

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
With a 12 ton, your probably never going to need anything higher for sure. Its nice to have too much than not enough. Also, you might want to get some hockey pucks or some scrap 2x4's for the jack. Add a little cushion between the jack and whatever your lifting from on the jeep

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
With a 12 ton, your probably never going to need anything higher for sure. Its nice to have too much than not enough. Also, you might want to get some hockey pucks or some scrap 2x4's for the jack. Add a little cushion between the jack and whatever your lifting from on the jeep
Good idea, thank you!

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I just placed the order, finally.

I’ll report back with my findings in hopes that it can help the next person.
Sponsored