Sponsored

Floor Lifts, Jack Stands, Bottle Lift?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Wasn't sure where to put this one, but I figure a few people doing their own lifts for the first time might have this question.

Recommendations on floor jacks/jack stands/bottle jacks?

My use is somewhat limited (I'm not a shop, and am rarely needing to jack things up), so I'm wondering if there's a cost and space effective option here... maybe a combo bottle jack + jack stand option?

Obviously, safety is paramount in this topic. Is the conventional floor jack + jack stand approach the only way to go?

Or would a combo like the below work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJJZ5NI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

On both fronts, what products are recommended for someone who might use these once a year for a project.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@aug0211

Well, were it me... I would just go to Harbor Freight and buy 4 cheapy jack stands and one of their floor jacks. Those things you pictured are pricey, heavy and... well, overkill probably for a guy like you. Over the long haul lets say, you will be better off with a floor jack and of course the 4 jack stands.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The link you sent is interesting but it would be kind of pricey because you have to buy more than one.
Just get the jack stands and a floor jack. Harbor Freight is ok but there are better options for little more money. Don’t go with a low profile that doesn’t reach much.
I got mine at Sams Club. I’ll look for a link.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Torero

Yes, Sams, BJ's, etc. and others often have decent floor jacks at decent prices.

@aug0211 .. As @Torero mentioned do be sure you get a floor jack that lifts high. Shop for price and max lifting height of floor jack.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Jack stands are pretty much jack stands. I have had very good luckvwith the floor jacks and motorcycle jacks from harbor freight.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, jack stands are simple and cheap. However I prefer the ones that have the ratchet over the pin. Ratchet much easier to set up and to take down.
As for the jack, my first one was from Harbor Freight but after a couple of winters started leaking. No big deal, replaced the o-ring. Then a year later again.
The one from sams is nicer with the double speed up and hasn’t leak after 4 years.

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
The link you sent is interesting but it would be kind of pricey because you have to buy more than one.
Just get the jack stands and a floor jack. Harbor Freight is ok but there are better options for little more money. Don’t go with a low profile that doesn’t reach much.
I got mine at Sams Club. I’ll look for a link.
@Torero

Yes, Sams, BJ's, etc. and others often have decent floor jacks at decent prices.

@aug0211 .. As @Torero mentioned do be sure you get a floor jack that lifts high. Shop for price and max lifting height of floor jack.
However I prefer the ones that have the ratchet over the pin. Ratchet much easier to set up and to take down.
Thanks all! Very helpful.

It sounds like max lift height + ratchet style (instead of pin) jack stands, plus a floor jack that will get high enough for me, and not break down after a year.

Any luck finding links/examples?

I'm not sure what a good lift height actually is/what I need to be able to get my vehicle up high enough to also be able to droop the axle. I have 37s, which will of course come off fo the suspension work (but it'd be nice to have plenty of clearance for any future work.

Potential Jack Stand Options?
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80037/10002/-1 (I live right by them so shipping is super fast and/or I can pick it up from the warehouse)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CODPF6/ref=twister_B00HQ7SGWY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026Z3DQ/ref=psdc_15708041_t1_B000CODPF6
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074R17GL4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 --> max height of 23", ratchet mechanism, double lock

Potential Floor Jack Options?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SVQVBY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 --> max height of 22"

I guess if I had to decide right now I'd go with the last option in the jack stands and the only floor jack I listed.... thoughts? Other recommendations?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 inches is good. With 37 inch tires you need 17 inches just to get the tire off the ground lifting from the axle.

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
22 inches is good. With 37 inch tires you need 17 inches just to get the tire off the ground lifting from the axle.
Yeah I’ve been surprised how hard it is to find anything higher :(

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
6 ton floor jacks seem to be the right height for getting jeep high enough to take wheels off and for being able to do suspension work

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice!!! Thanks for connecting the dots for me there.

Now... I just need to find a floor jack that can get the vehicle up high enough to use those suckers!

Any leads on a 30” floor jack?
Don’t sweat it. The 22 inch is fine. I got a 4x4 block of wood that I cut to fit in the little plate and works great.
You want the tall jack stands to hold the Jeep from the frame when you need to work on suspension and such.

OP
OP
aug0211

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Don’t sweat it. The 22 inch is fine. I got a 4x4 block of wood that I cut to fit in the little plate and works great.
You want the tall jack stands to hold the Jeep from the frame when you need to work on suspension and such.
Thanks, suspension is my first use for these (and oil change, tire rotation).

Some reviewer comments on those 30 stabilizers make me a bit skittish. Are those definitely legit to use as jack stands?

Next question - should I plan on 4 stands to have everything up and level for the suspension work? Or is it fine to do front end then back end with just two stands?
Sponsored