Flat-tow Set-up

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
roaniecowpony, It will let you save the cost of having a wiring harness installed and/or the challenge of installing it yourself. Everything else is the same. I hung a board with all required lights on the back of a john boat for years. It works.
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
It is unfortunate that misinformation scared you toward a BlueOx base plate on the assumption that it is safer - it's not.

Our last towed car had a BlueOx and when we had a small accident from a person running a stop sign, we did a minor $800 dollars damage to the passenger door of the other car and our Blue Ox was damaged and required replacement. During this exercise, we also found that the base plate attachment bolts had become loose. The dealer who did the install (recommended by Blue Ox) did not Locktite the bolts. Their and BlueOx's comment was, you should check the bolts annually. This was fine in concept but on that car, checking those bolts required disassembling much of the car's front, a 2-hour job. At least it will be easier for you to access and retorque the bolts on a Wrangler.
The Blue OX baseplate on the Wrangler is very easy access and has full visability of the entire plate including the welds. Any bumper tow connection the weak link (Frame face plate) there is no way to inspect stress or welds without removing the bumper. Each bolt is easily accesable in the wheel well including visually without going into the well.

Personally I feel much better using a product designed and engineered and endorsed by the largest towbar manufactures versus a bumper tow set up only backed by a small fabrication shop. Sometimes relying on industry professionals (tow industry) makes sense. Moreover the fact Mopar does says not to tow via the frame-plate should speak volumes. Although with LOD's new frame anchor system I would consider bumper towing.

Here is my Blue Ox tow bar set up with the ready brute elite towbar, this has the ready brake system so no electric braking system is required in the jeep. AS the brakes are applied on the RV that black lever that sticks up on the front (silver) piece of the bar, that lever moves forward and is connected to the brake pedal via that black cable. This provides progressive braking, meaning the harder the RV brakes the harder the wrangler brakes. Whereas some of the electric brake systems are not progressive.

Tow%20setup_zps6oxthzjt.jpg

tow_zpsyuryn8ls.jpg

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Good news all. I am happy to report that the LOD frame tie in brackets work almost perfect with the rock hard patriot bumper.

I say almost perfect because the bolts that come with the bumper are too short to account for the thickness of the bumper, tow adapters, bumper mount on the Jeep, and the LOD tie in brackets.

I have to run to ace, and pay a small fortune for some grade 8 bolts and washers to get everything fitted up.

Rock Hard certifies their bumper, and mopar certifies their frame, so this gives a total safe & secure solution.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Good news all. I am happy to report that the LOD frame tie in brackets work almost perfect with the rock hard patriot bumper.

I say almost perfect because the bolts that come with the bumper are too short to account for the thickness of the bumper, tow adapters, bumper mount on the Jeep, and the LOD tie in brackets.

I have to run to ace, and pay a small fortune for some grade 8 bolts and washers to get everything fitted up.

Rock Hard certifies their bumper, and mopar certifies their frame, so this gives a total safe & secure solution.

Where do you see that Mopar certifies their frame? Cam you post a copy of the certification

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
It is really frustrating to post something to try to help others when there is one person being a complete jackass in a thread. You have made your feelings known.

Your comment on my post is nothing but you trolling trying to make another argument.

I am going to assume that they certify their frame can handle a tow bar mounted to the frame, since they make and sell a flat tow wiring harness for the JL.

Unless you know of a magical way to flat tow a jeep that does not involve a connection to the frame. I have yet to find a tow bar base plate that doesn’t connect to the frame.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Another Rock Hard Patriot aluminum bumper here. A Blue Ox tow system and cool Tech wiring harness.
JL Rock Hard bumper.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It is really frustrating to post something to try to help others when there is one person being a complete jackass in a thread. You have made your feelings known.

Your comment on my post is nothing but you trolling trying to make another argument.

I am going to assume that they certify their frame can handle a tow bar mounted to the frame, since they make and sell a flat tow wiring harness for the JL.

Unless you know of a magical way to flat tow a jeep that does not involve a connection to the frame. I have yet to find a tow bar base plate that doesn’t connect to the frame.
Towable bumpers do not connect directly to the frame or there is a weak frame base plate.

Advising someone to do something that MOPAR does not recommend or endorse is not doing anyone a favor. How many times does it have to be said contact Mopar or Dealer yourself. The Frame-plate the bumpers attach to are not designed to support flat towing according to Mopar ( there are just two small welds and a light weight L-bracket that holds that frame plate to the frame), it is just thin sheet metal. Now since LOD has just introduced their new tow plate Bracket that ties the bumper tow connection directly to the frame that is the game changer as now the tow connection is tied directly to the FRAME itself and not just the frame-plate, however without that it is problematic. Additionally the other problem is when bumper towing (unless you have the LOD frame tie in bracket) with the bumper plate connection there is NO way to periodically inspect the connections or integrity of the frame plate without removing the bumper.

Look tow at your own risk.

My comment on your post was asking you for what certifications you were referring to and by what agency's or entities. Sounds suspect.

Regardless I will be bumper towing shortly myself as I am ordering the NEW LOD Tie In Bracket and Blue Ox connection and will be Bumper towing shortly.

As you can see below that frame plate is not very robust and this tie in bracket seems to be the answer, Kudos to LOD

jft1801_install_11.jpg

jft0701-1801_diagram.jpg

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I will be flat towing for the first time in 2 weeks. I got the motorhome out of storage and will start getting ready this week. I will be using my LOD bumper with blue ox adapters. I also order LOD new Bracket just to be extra safe. I hope they arrive before my first trip.
Tow package
2016 Jayco 30ft class c Motorhome
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon with mopar lift and 35 inch tires
LOD flat tow ready Bumper
Blue Ox 6000lbs tow bar.
Blue ox Patriot brake system
Cool tech light harness
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How are folks able to tow Rubicons behind Gas Class A or Class C Motorhomes?

Our last Class a was a Class A 2014 Bounder 33c and was rated for 5000lb max towing, we sold that and wanted to get a new RV with better towing without having to go Diesel however an exhaustive search of the newer RV market we just cold not get past 5000lb pounds limits. We looked at every brand whereas pretty much every class of RV is on the same chassis Class Sub 38' are on a Ford F53 chassis. While nearly all brands were showing 5,000lb limits one or two others cheated claiming 8000lb on the very same chassis, however all the dealers said that was just a marketing thing the reality was once you scaled your Motorhome you are still at 5,000lb or less when loaded to be under GCWR,

We bought a Sahara because of weight limitation of nearly ALL gas Motorhome both class A and C. After adding Bumper winch and 35's and near full gas to the Sahara we are just over 4900lbs, Additionally here in Washington they require you to provide documented Dry weight of the Motorhome to title and license so I scaled the RV dry.

I have scaled both the RV and the Sahara with Black and grey empty, 1/4 water, propane full and with the 4900 of the Sahara I am over GCWR (gross combined weight) by 300lbs. Keep in mind this is dry with only one person. That also does not include tow bar and drop receiver weight. A rubicon would have put me way over.

Has anyone else scaled both their RV and Wrangler more specifically the Rubicon. That was the only reason I did not buy the Rubicon because it weighed more. I can only imagine with 37" tires and other mods the Rubicon could easily be pushing 6000lbs. Are most ignoring the GCWR or is there a workaround?

For me to run at GCWR weight I have to run dry. Wet would put me 1500-2000lb over

How are Rubicon owners or other dealing with this who are driving Gas Motorhomes 36' or less, assuming you have scaled both rigs (which everyone should do).

Keep in mind you have to ignore the hitch towing capacities and comply with the GCRW as that is the only towing metric that matters.
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat-tow Set-up {filename}

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Towable bumpers do not connect directly to the frame or there is a weak frame base plate.

Advising someone to do something that MOPAR does not recommend or endorse is not doing anyone a favor. How many times does it have to be said contact Mopar or Dealer yourself. The Frame-plate the bumpers attach to are not designed to support flat towing according to Mopar ( there are just two small welds and a light weight L-bracket that holds that frame plate to the frame), it is just thin sheet metal. Now since LOD has just introduced their new tow plate Bracket that ties the bumper tow connection directly to the frame that is the game changer as now the tow connection is tied directly to the FRAME itself and not just the frame-plate, however without that it is problematic. Additionally the other problem is when bumper towing (unless you have the LOD frame tie in bracket) with the bumper plate connection there is NO way to periodically inspect the connections or integrity of the frame plate without removing the bumper.

Look tow at your own risk.

My comment on your post was asking you for what certifications you were referring to and by what agency's or entities. Sounds suspect.

Regardless I will be bumper towing shortly myself as I am ordering the NEW LOD Tie In Bracket and Blue Ox connection and will be Bumper towing shortly.

As you can see below that frame plate is not very robust and this tie in bracket seems to be the answer, Kudos to LOD

So after all the comments you are taking off your blue ox baseplate?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So after all the comments you are taking off your blue ox baseplate?
That is correct however only due to the fact that LOD now has a base plate solution with their new Tie In bracket, I originally ordered the LOD bumper until I learned that Mopar said the frame plate should not be used for flat towing, I then canceled the bumper order and installed the Blue OX base plate.

I made it clear in my positions from the start that I would have preferred to bumper tow except there was NO safe way to do it, now LOD has made that possible. I already have a bumper that will work just need to add the tie in bracket and Blue OX bolt through connection. However I may wait till there is a 4-bolt version, not a big fan of the two bolt Blue OX connection bracket.

The other issues non tow related with all the towable bumpers is they were steel at the time and still today they are all tall meaning that they did not improve clearance over the base plate option, now because my Barricade bumper is lower profile than most I will gain a couple inches.

My bumper tow position has not changes I wold not tow soley or directly off the bumper frame plate and I would encourage anyone who is to seriously take a look at the LOD Tie In bracket. It also looks like a very easy install.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Barricade bumper
Are they safe for towing. When I was looking into them there was no mention of towing adapter and I thought the D-Ring attachment was part of the bumper and not a bolt through like on the LOD and Rockhard. It surprises me that after all this time and repeated posts telling everyone on here that the Blue Ox baseplate was the only safe way to go that you would now jump to a bumper that doesn't even mention it is flat tow capable.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are they safe for towing. When I was looking into them there was no mention of towing adapter and I thought the D-Ring attachment was part of the bumper and not a bolt through like on the LOD and Rockhard. It surprises me that after all this time and repeated posts telling everyone on here that the Blue Ox baseplate was the only safe way to go that you would now jump to a bumper that doesn't even mention it is flat tow capable.
Other than the LOD hard that uses a welded tow connection unlike Rock Hard and others like barricade that use a thru bolt connection and now the Tie in bracket connects that tow connection to the frame itself not just the thin frame plate, (now read closely) THE BUMPER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOW CONNECTION SINCE THE TOW CONNECTION IS JUST A THRU BOLTED BRACKET (again with the exception of welded tow connections, however the new tie in bracket also benefits those bumpers as well since it then ties the bumper to the frame.)... The bumper itself is nothing more than a spacer with the LOD Bracket and Tie in Bracket the bumper is not even relevent and NEVER was except for those that use a welded tow connection with no direct thru bolting.

Why do you think LOD created this bracket??? It is in fact a base plate I am just trading base plates whereas my level of safety is maintained, why is that concept so difficult for people like you to comprehend. Why are people like you against safer flat towing?

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
why is that concept so difficult for people like you to comprehend. Why are people like you against safer flat towing?
To the best of my knowledge we have never met. You have no clue who I am nor what I know, like, or dislike. Please tell me, what "people" am I part of?

I'll wait.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hence the question and question Mark (?)
Sponsored