Sponsored

fixed wobble and fixed wandering, finally!!

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Just got mine out of the shop from the T/B bracket recall. I mentioned about the jeep wandering when I dropped it off and they performed an alignment (the second one-first one at another dealer) and it has seemed to help some. Its still a little wishy washy though but drives pretty good. I've got a Fox S/S on pre order and its supose to ship this Friday. I'm hopefull that will make a little bit of difference and I'll be happy. If not I'm not sure what to do next.
My JL didn't get the Track Bar Recall. My welds looked OK; but I went ahead and put a Rusty's Track Bar Support Bracket overlay on it, to be sure. After installation, the steering wheel went from straight up (12:00) to the 11:30 position. The bracket must have done something to stiffen the frame. It seems to track better than before. Drives like a car with rack, & pinion steering. Well worth the $110, and easy installation.
Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Do y’all have a shimmy or a wobble? This is actual death wobble. Not a little shimmy
They probably created it purposely just to get some YouTube views:)

JeepFX

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Wrangler
Lmao. Ya that’s something I’d do. Ha
What did steersmarts have to say about the whole thing? I feel like they would be ones to have a good idea as to the actual problem we are all experiencing.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What did steersmarts have to say about the whole thing? I feel like they would be ones to have a good idea as to the actual problem we are all experiencing.
We’re workimg with them. We believe it to be the track bar and drag link. The tie rod I’m doing for piece of mind since I’ve seen the stock ones break and we wheel ours hard

Sponsored

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
We’re workimg with them. We believe it to be the track bar and drag link. The tie rod I’m doing for piece of mind since I’ve seen the stock ones break and we wheel ours hard
The JL does seem to need a stabilizer to help out. Having proper tire pressure and a wheel alignment seems to help some people

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
My JL didn't get the Track Bar Recall. My welds looked OK; but I went ahead and put a Rusty's Track Bar Support Bracket overlay on it, to be sure. After installation, the steering wheel went from straight up (12:00) to the 11:30 position. The bracket must have done something to stiffen the frame. It seems to track better than before. Drives like a car with rack, & pinion steering. Well worth the $110, and easy installation.
I just orderd a Rusty T/B suport bracket, and am waiting on the Fox steering stabilizer. I'll try and install both at same time and see what results I get. I want to be able to drive it and not think about the steering, it should be a none issue.

JeepFX

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Wrangler
@Kevin8086 You beat the crap out of yours lol

I corrected castor, have tried multiple tire pressures, checked and re torched to spec a lot of the steering components and still have had very little success. I’ve been eye balling the steer smarts website for a few weeks now. I also have a Teraflex Adj. SS sitting in the garage ready to go.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Before and After

image.jpg
Wait a second. They literally adjusted nothing besides a littl
I had a little shimming and wondering but not bad the steering right in cold wether until warmed up. Took my Jeep to IWC motorsports in Berdo the specialize in Jeep, Lifts etc...they went through my entire suspension fixing my camber, caster, tow, thrust angle all these come into play ecspecially when lifting and not adding adjustable control arms. The guys over there got it as close as they could since I don’t have adjustable comtrol arms and it rides solid and straight. No issues no tightness in cold weather no shimming I also run the dual RC Steering stabilizers. My next purchase will be the JKS CONTROL ARM KIT. Which then I’ll prbably just do the entire 3.5” kit with control arms and then run the 38” tires I want and regear.

My advice make sure after ur lift ur taking it to OFFROAD 4x4 shop that knows what they doing. Not pep boys, or jimmyjoes alignment shop. and then stay up on it. You should be getting alignments every 6 months or 6,000 mi. That’s depending on how u drive and trail. I don’t mind spending the cash
Fake news dude, no offence but just looked at your sheet and they literally adjusted nothing but your toe and im talking like1/2 turn of adjustment. To add insult to injury, youre running 4.1 degrees caster which tells me you probably have a 2-3 inch lift and have not gotten adjustable arms to correct your caster. And hence the wandering. The recirculating ball can only help so much. I seriously doubt your rig drives that much better than when you brought it.

Sponsored

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a second. They literally adjusted nothing besides a littl

Fake news dude, no offence but just looked at your sheet and they literally adjusted nothing but your toe and im talking like1/2 turn of adjustment. To add insult to injury, youre running 4.1 degrees caster which tells me you probably have a 2-3 inch lift and have not gotten adjustable arms to correct your caster. And hence the wandering. The recirculating ball can only help so much. I seriously doubt your rig drives that much better than when you brought it.
Never said a drive better than stock never said that once I said I start experiencing the shimmy in the wobble at the wheel with tightness in cold temperatures and you’re right I do have a 3 inch lift but the alignment help from the lift I did and the shimmy and wobbling and tightness are gone no one said it was better than stock like I said I’m just sharing what I’m experiencing have to sit here and argue or anything else everybody’s different this is my experience sorry to have ruffled your feathers These forums are turning into social media dramaAnd people throwing tantrums and having attitudes arguing etc. etc. I’ll leave my piece right there and enjoy my Jeep without this forum

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Never said a drive better than stock never said that once I said I start experiencing the shimmy in the wobble at the wheel with tightness in cold temperatures and you’re right I do have a 3 inch lift but the alignment help from the lift I did and the shimmy and wobbling and tightness are gone no one said it was better than stock like I said I’m just sharing what I’m experiencing have to sit here and argue or anything else everybody’s different this is my experience sorry to have ruffled your feathers These forums are turning into social media dramaAnd people throwing tantrums and having attitudes arguing etc. etc. I’ll leave my piece right there and enjoy my Jeep without this forum
I think everyone is just getting a little frustrated over the issues. We enjoy the hell out of our jeep. It has its down sides but the good is really really good. I think people are getting a little upset with one another just from frustration. Let’s all keep it fun guys. We’re here to learn from one another

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is there a video that shows how easy it is to install the track bar support bracket?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Good to know, I am very close to 4x4 in lake Hopatcong.
The dealer fixed mine, they applied a TSB recalibration ( not sure what exactly that is) Electronic steering box?
However I spoke to the tech (he is a wrangler guy) and asked him to check front tire balance, as well as the torque on the BJs and track bar.
He said he found the BJs and track bar bolts not quite torqued to spec and the front passenger tire was out of balance slightly.
It is possible it all stemmed from the unbalanced tire (had a rotation done a week prior to it getting the milkshakes)
and the BJ and track bar bolts loosened slightly as a result.

I have had DW in a few jeeps, so when it happened on the JL I didn't shit myself, just took foot off gas till it stopped.
Sponsored