John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
yes! I forgot about not engaging 4L on pavement! thanks for the catch.
Sponsored

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
If you have smart phone ,ipad, computer or equivalent you can bring up where your going in google earth, punch in where your going and print out a map of the area, that’s what we usually do before we go out, even though I have unconnect maps, it’s always good to have hard copy.
Ill be printing out the MVUM map they have available that shows all the trails. It would just be cool to have something digital with real time tracking on my display and/or phone

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
If you have smart phone ,ipad, computer or equivalent you can bring up where your going in google earth, punch in where your going and print out a map of the area, that’s what we usually do before we go out, even though I have unconnect maps, it’s always good to have hard copy.

I still love paper maps. Always will.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
@noloc45

I posted a similar thread recently and got some great responses. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...balance-being-prepared-vs-being-a-tool.28172/

There are many great suggestions in your thread and mine. Toilet paper, paper towels, various types of tape, plastic bags - all seemingly unimportant but are actually very important. Towels, extra clothes, mud boots, ball caps, etc.

Honestly, it's a bit insane the number of things you need to be fully prepared. This varies, of course, depending on how deep off-road you are going.

I'm going on my second run tomorrow and trying to ensure I cover the things I missed the first time. Good luck with yours. It's a learning process, for sure.

BIGGEST TIP - DON'T GO ALONE UNLESS YOU ARE MEGA-PREPARED AND KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
@noloc45

I posted a similar thread recently and got some great responses. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...balance-being-prepared-vs-being-a-tool.28172/

There are many great suggestions in your thread and mine. Toilet paper, paper towels, various types of tape, plastic bags - all seemingly unimportant but are actually very important. Towels, extra clothes, mud boots, ball caps, etc.

Honestly, it's a bit insane the number of things you need to be fully prepared. This varies, of course, depending on how deep off-road you are going.

I'm going on my second run tomorrow and trying to ensure I cover the things I missed the first time. Good luck with yours. It's a learning process, for sure.

BIGGEST TIP - DON'T GO ALONE UNLESS YOU ARE MEGA-PREPARED AND KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
I get the sentiment of that last all-caps line, but don’t really agree.
Certainly, if staying safe is all that matters, don’t go alone.
And pack enough stuff to deal with every conceivable problem. If you can.
Hell, don’t go at all, if you REALLY want to stay safe.
But staying safe isn’t all that matters to me.
I like doing unsafe things.
That is the nature of adventure.
Stretch a bit beyond safe.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I ran 14-16 (shooting for 15) on the stock 33's in Moab and was very pleased.

Shoved the tires up against some situations and didn't lose a bead.

Don't bother w fancy expensive tools. Grab a valve core tool and then just carry some spare cores (cheap) in case you should drop one. Have a decent gauge and just keep checking it w the core out.

I've done this for years and almost always finish all 4 before the guys w expensive deflators.

Not that this shot has all that much to do w tire pressure but this is "The Intimidator" after Easter Egg Hill on Flat Iron Mesa...just to prove I was out 'wheeling *something* ;) Nothing ever looks like much in pics anyhow. But seriously 15 was great. If it was a 15" wheel like the days of old I woulda gone more 11-12 on a lightweight rig like this

11748.jpeg
I guess my biggest concern is how low I can go with stock 33 tires and the new 17x9 wheels. If I recall, the stock rims are 17x7.5?

I know ZIP about "airing down" and the "science" behind the bead is a mystery to me still. I know I know, Im such an amateur but really have never even crossed my mind since Ive never been offroading.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I guess my biggest concern is how low I can go with stock 33 tires and the new 17x9 wheels. If I recall, the stock rims are 17x7.5?

I know ZIP about "airing down" and the "science" because the bead is a mystery to me still. I know I know, Im such an amateur but really have never even crossed my mind since Ive never been offroading.
You shouldn't get too obsessed about airing down. At normal pressure you should have plenty of grip to get over most obstacles. If you start having difficulty getting traction then airing down is something you can do to help your tires get more grip. I have heard airing down some can help soften the ride though, but I can't verify that. I haven't aired down any time I've been off road and It pulls through just fine.

img_1485-jpg.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

I know ZIP about "airing down" and the "science" behind the bead is a mystery to me still. I know I know, Im such an amateur but really have never even crossed my mind since Ive never been offroading.
Trial & error really. I'd still try 15 unless you're gonna be driving like a rally car driver. In soft or sandy conditions you really wanna go as low as possible, it'll really help you float rather than dig.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I wouldn’t worry a bout airing down on this trip, really not that important where your going, let this first trip be your learning experience, try things but use common sense, there will be many more runs to come. Sometimes you can get so overwhelmed that you forget to have fun. Also have you figured out how your group is communicating, cell phone, CB, two ways, etc... it’s important to be able to communicate....:)

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Aww man, that Avenza map is not what I thought it was. Anyone know of a good offline GPS map?
What’s wrong with Avenza? Download the MVUMs for the area you’ll be in. Your location will show up on the MVUM. You’ll stay on roads you’re supposed to be on and you’ll know where you are. What more can you ask for?

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I would recommend airing down to 20 even if you don't need the traction benefit. The ride was horrible with the stock BFG's at 34 psi on some easy dirt roads with washboards. Or you can slow down, that's what I had to do as I did not have the air pump yet.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Update!

So I took the trip and boyyy was it fun!

I ended up going thru a few very tight trails and putting some nice scratches on the clear coat that Im going to try and get out this week. But not worried. Its ok. Sort. Its alright. Doesnt hurt...sort of....

Anyway, it was a very fun time!

I didnt air down. Dont think I had to but I think if I had it might have been easier. Not sure. There was some pretty thick sugar sand roads but a lot of run to ride in.

One thing I noticed, while in 4H and doing this small circuit we saw, at times when I turned the wheel sharply, I felt "something" of a feedback that Im going to say was "binding?" I dont really know how to explain.

Also, at one point I let my little brother in law take it for a spin. He got us stuck in some deep sand and trying to dig himself out of the spot but pressing on the gas for 5-10 seconds, there was a "burning" smell. I got us out and checked underneath, everything looks fine. I checked the temps on the dash and everything was fine.

Found a little steep hill that was easy to go down and we tried up. Using 4L and lockers but I kept bottoming out on the front due to a raised portion in the center. First time doing 4L, easy to shift into. But that hill defeated me. I was upset. When i get the lift, Ill come back for it.

All in all, HUGE fun. Came home to a 4x car cash to get everything out and I still have to go back and really detail it.

What do you guys do to clean the undercarriage? Its really "dusty" even after a few pressure washes. I didnt use soap under there though.

Ill post pics when I get them from my buddys phone.

Also! Other than taking it to a bro...what do you guys do for clear coat scratches? I bought Meguiars Compound and gonna use drill attachments to buff it out. Found a good ChrisFix video where he uses 3000/5000 grit sandpaper and Meguiars 2.0 to remove.
Sponsored