First trail ride tomorrow...advice!

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Aww man, that Avenza map is not what I thought it was. Anyone know of a good offline GPS map?
I download the map area on Google maps, so even if I lose signal I still see how where I am.
Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The "binding" you are referring to is normal -- it's exactly that. The two front wheels want to turn at different rates but cannot so you get "crow hop". The burning smell was probably tire rubber. Yes, going off road get crazy dusty. I keep tack cloths in the Jeep to clean the basics, but it always requires a good shop vac to get the rest. Can't help you with scratches, I don't care about them!

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
The "binding" you are referring to is normal -- it's exactly that. The two front wheels want to turn at different rates but cannot so you get "crow hop". The burning smell was probably tire rubber. Yes, going off road get crazy dusty. I keep tack cloths in the Jeep to clean the basics, but it always requires a good shop vac to get the rest. Can't help you with scratches, I don't care about them!
I thought this happened if you used 4WD in pavement and not some sort of loose terrain such as sand? Sorry, totally new to this.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I thought this happened if you used 4WD in pavement and not some sort of loose terrain such as sand? Sorry, totally new to this.
You will still feel it on loose terrain, but it's less likely to cause any damage, because the wind-up will be released. That's not the case on the road, which is why it is dangerous. These videos are great resources. I'm glad it went well for you. I get to go next weekend!

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Aww man, that Avenza map is not what I thought it was. Anyone know of a good offline GPS map?
I purchased the Magellan TR7 GPS. A bit pricey, but if I get lost on the trail, it will always route me back out.

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Hey guys/gals!

You all have been extremely helpful since last year when I joined and helped me buy my Rubicon.

Tomorrow I hit my first trail at the Ocala National Forest.

I just want some first time pointers!!

My Setup....

1. Avenza offroad map
2. 12k Winch
3. Gloves
4. Shovel
5. Traction Boards
6. Emergency Med Kit
7. Recovery Strap + Tree Saver + Snatch Block
8. Cooler with water and sandwiches
9. Seal Pup knife
10. Tire Inflator

....I think thats all

Any recommendations?

I keep hearing about airing down the tires and such...Im not 100% educated on that. I have the stock 33s on 17x9 rims. How long can I air down?

Should I be on 4H at all times? What if there are turns? Can I turn while in 4H/4L if its dirty/rock roads?

Any help and suggestions...!! Oh and Ill be riding with a friend who will be in his 4x4 Tacoma
Lots of good tips so far. Here's one simple piece of advice: whatever electronic map, phone or GPS device you use, be sure to mark a waypoint or drop a pin or mark a favorite (or the equivalent) at your starting point where you all aired down. You can get really turned around in the woods on narrow trails and worst case just having a point you can navigate back to can help a lot.

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l, ‘20 JT Sport S
When in 4WD the front/rear axles are on the same drive train so to speak. When turning, the wheels have to turn at different speeds. When on gravel, you'll feel them spinning a little to keep pace with each other. If you do this on pavement, then can't spin to keep up with each other, and that energy binds up your system. Too much energy and something's gonna give. If the wheels don't peel out, then something in the system will fail or break to release the energy.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Do you have the 8.4" UConnect? It won't show off-road trails, but it can save your route and show breadcrumbs.

In 4L, you will never get past about 20 mph, so keep that in mind. It's good for obstacles, but not for travelling. Like others have said, practice where you can control it. 4L makes distinct clunking noises, and so do the lockers. It's important for you to know what those noises sound like in normal circumstances, before you go off road and wonder what they all are! The Rubicon e-lockers disengage when you shut the Jeep off, so that's extra noises to get used to. Don't try to turn the Jeep in 4L if you're not on dirt or gravel, you can cause a lot of damage.

Oh, and you should add something to clean up minor spills to your kit. At very least a roll of paper towels and a garbage bag.
Whoa whoa whoa stop the clock, the 8.4 saves routes and has bread crumbs...how does this work

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Hang upside down so you will know how it feels when you roll over.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I would recommend airing down to 20 even if you don't need the traction benefit. The ride was horrible with the stock BFG's at 34 psi on some easy dirt roads with washboards. Or you can slow down, that's what I had to do as I did not have the air pump yet.
I would recommend airing down to 20 even if you don't need the traction benefit. The ride was horrible with the stock BFG's at 34 psi on some easy dirt roads with washboards. Or you can slow down, that's what I had to do as I did not have the air pump yet.
in airing down from 34 to 20 psi, this will obviously Increase your tire grip and soften your ride. But, how much will this decrease your ground clearance and isn’t that a huge concern as well?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I used to do 4x4 101 for my Jeep club. Here's your crash course:

1). Be in 4 Low when you're on the trail.
2). Air down. When I had a TJ on 33x12.50x15R on 15x8 wheels, I would air right now to 12 psi.
3). If your Jeep is equipped, disconnect the sway bar. it gives more articulation to the front axle and allows you to get over things a bit easier.
4). Line choice is EVERYTHING. I grew up on ATV's so when I made the jump to Jeeps, I was trying to dodge the rocks and bumps in the trail. I realized eventually that you use them as stairs, or ramps- almost like a rock climbing wall.
5). Spend some time looking over your Jeep to get a feel for where components are located in relation to your track width (Width of the axles/ space between the tires) and your wheel base. This will help you judge your lines a little better.
6). Finally, as John Cappa once said:
"A good driver knows where his tires are; A great driver is already looking where he wants his tires to be next". The rationale behind this is simple: IF you're looking where you want your tires to be, you're already making the adjustments necessary to get them there and so the rest kind of just falls into place. It takes a little bit of getting used to but it works.

Other than that? Don't go alone, taking a strap or a winch line and driving home is better than not doing that and going home on a flatbed, and drive within your abilities: If you're not comfortable, don't attempt it.

Good luck!

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I used to do 4x4 101 for my Jeep club. Here's your crash course:

1). Be in 4 Low when you're on the trail.
2). Air down. When I had a TJ on 33x12.50x15R on 15x8 wheels, I would air right now to 12 psi.
3). If your Jeep is equipped, disconnect the sway bar. it gives more articulation to the front axle and allows you to get over things a bit easier.
4). Line choice is EVERYTHING. I grew up on ATV's so when I made the jump to Jeeps, I was trying to dodge the rocks and bumps in the trail. I realized eventually that you use them as stairs, or ramps- almost like a rock climbing wall.
5). Spend some time looking over your Jeep to get a feel for where components are located in relation to your track width (Width of the axles/ space between the tires) and your wheel base. This will help you judge your lines a little better.
6). Finally, as John Cappa once said:
"A good driver knows where his tires are; A great driver is already looking where he wants his tires to be next". The rationale behind this is simple: IF you're looking where you want your tires to be, you're already making the adjustments necessary to get them there and so the rest kind of just falls into place. It takes a little bit of getting used to but it works.

Other than that? Don't go alone, taking a strap or a winch line and driving home is better than not doing that and going home on a flatbed, and drive within your abilities: If you're not comfortable, don't attempt it.

Good luck!
Im wondering if I could have made it up that little hill had I disconnected the sway bar.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I kinda doubt it based on what you said above. It *sounds* like your tires were in ruts on the hill face and the face had an elevated center that you were "bottoming out" on by hitting probably the front differential or the front skid for the front sway bar. Did you try and climb out of the ruts? You'd need to disco the sway bars for that most likely. It sounds like line selection was your problem most likely but without pics/video, it's hard to say.
Seconded!
Sponsored