Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
@Space ace

Your choice when to change. I'm not sure if the dealership will give you one of your freebe oil changes if you only have 2500 miles on the vehicle. Reality is, it is no big deal to leave the oil in for 5,000 miles. As I said, I would at least change the oil filter at 2500 miles as it may have picked up some debris over the 2500 miles.

Lots of guys/gals have different ideas on this but what I have mentioned is pretty acceptable by most all..

You can also get the MO-349 filter at Walmart. Of course you will pay about $12 for the filter there. Oil Filter is very very easy to change.
I haven’t looked at the filter location, but will you lose any oil from just changing the filter?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Space ace

Filter location is on top of engine. Easy to get to. Oil Filter is a cartridge and you pull it upward to remove. No, no oil is lost other then the light coat of oil on the filter itself and a drip or three... Changing filter does not require you to add any oil.

You use a 24mm socket to remove the oil filter cover. Can be done with a large adjustable wrench if you don't currently have a 24mm socket.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
@Space ace

Filter location is on top of engine. Easy to get to. Oil Filter is a cartridge and you pull it upward to remove. No, no oil is lost other then the light coat of oil on the filter itself and a drip or three... Changing filter does not require you to add any oil.

You use a 24mm socket to remove the oil filter cover. Can be done with a large adjustable wrench if you don't currently have a 24mm socket.
Ok, just changed the filter, only one in inventory was a Wix.. I did find a small piece of metal shaving in the old filter... is that normal with a new engine?

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Yes, their database is out of wack... is wrong. I see this alot in regard to Amazon.

It is the correct oil filter.. I have purchased say 15 of those filters in the last 4 years. $6.39 is a great price!

Here is the link one more time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZPE0DLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I see there is a new version named “AC” from Mopar introduced quite some time ago that carries features the “AB” version seen in the link does not. They could be sending out the updated version but the listing does not say that. Just FYI for everyone.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see there is a new version named “AC” from Mopar introduced quite some time ago that carries features the “AB” version seen in the link does not. They could be sending out the updated version but the listing does not say that. Just FYI for everyone.
@BoisetheCat

Well, they are in fact sending out the 68191349AC MO-349

Also, I would have no issue using the "AB" version.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, just changed the filter, only one in inventory was a Wix.. I did find a small piece of metal shaving in the old filter... is that normal with a new engine?
Not unusual to find a tiny tiny sliver of metal. The Wix filter is aok. Decide what brand filter you plan on using and order 2 or 3. They won't go bad sitting on the shelf for a year or so til you use.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
@Space ace

Easiest oil filter removal ever! The oil drips down back into the motor, not all over your hand. Why didn't engineers think of this years ago?

Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Did my first oil change this morning on my Jeep. Oil level was full. I was surprised how much oil there was splattered on the rear of the engine, and front of the transmission. There was no oil on the engine drain plug or the oil pan. Very little oil on the transmission pan. Pulled the 2 rubber plugs that are located at the mating surface of the engine/transmission to see if maybe the rear main seal was leaking but no oil was on top of the plugs. Can’t find out where the oil is coming from. Guess I’ll just have to check it every once in awhile to see if I actually have a leak or not.

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
I'll have mine done tomorrow at the dealership. I'm right at 3k but I'm getting the cruise control recall done too. If I'm not mistaken, almost all new engines are filled with conventional oil for the break-in period. Maybe things have changed but I thought there was something about synthetic not being good for the break-in period.

I thought so also. Does anyone know is there a special break in oil that it comes with from the factory? Is it conventional? Or synthetic?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeep 5150 2112

I believe after reading here on the forum for the last few months that most feel it is probably a blend... not that it matters. No, not s special break in oil.

Regarding the 5150 in your user name. ... Is that something you were deemed when you resided California?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I thought so also. Does anyone know is there a special break in oil that it comes with from the factory? Is it conventional? Or synthetic?
0W20 is synthetic. Of course, that word doesn't mean much, since virtually all "synthetics" come from petroleum base stocks before the pixie dust is added. :cwl:
Sponsored