first oil change

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
did my first oil change at 2k miles and this is the easiest oil change I have ever done!
Sponsored

phxrubijl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Why did you change the oil at 2K. Its synthetic ? My dealer told me first change at 5K

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did my first oil change this week as well, 1499 miles. It is just helps me sleep better at night!

OP
OP
Mud2Sno

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
My sales guy told me 2500 but I wanted to change early just to make sure. I have never gone wrong changing oil more frequently

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Why did you change the oil at 2K. Its synthetic ? My dealer told me first change at 5K
I'll have mine done tomorrow at the dealership. I'm right at 3k but I'm getting the cruise control recall done too. If I'm not mistaken, almost all new engines are filled with conventional oil for the break-in period. Maybe things have changed but I thought there was something about synthetic not being good for the break-in period.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You're not going to find a conventional oil that is 0W-20. A synthetic blend at the most.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I'll have mine done tomorrow at the dealership. I'm right at 3k but I'm getting the cruise control recall done too. If I'm not mistaken, almost all new engines are filled with conventional oil for the break-in period. Maybe things have changed but I thought there was something about synthetic not being good for the break-in period.
Myth. Another common myth is that synthetic oil is too slippery. Regardless, you won't find a 0W20 that isn't synthetic. In actuality, "synthetic" has become a marketing term, since virtually all synthetics start with petroleum as the base. They're still superior to conventional oil, though.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Changing the oil at 2,000 miles is totally unnecessary but if you're concerned about break in metals and contaminates, as I was, all you need to do is pop in a fresh oil filter. $9 bucks and 15 seconds of work. At 2,000 miles the oil hasn't even changed color yet. Total waste of resources to drain it now.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Changing the oil at 2,000 miles is totally unnecessary but if you're concerned about break in metals and contaminates, as I was, all you need to do is pop in a fresh oil filter. $9 bucks and 15 seconds of work. At 2,000 miles the oil hasn't even changed color yet. Total waste of resources to drain it now.
To each his own

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Honestly, I can't see the harm in changing the oil early. The only thing OP is going to hurt is his wallet.

As stated above, to each his own.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I checked my oil at 3000 miles to see if it needed a change, and it still has a very light color and is very clean. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see when I should do the first change, but my computer says 90% oil life remaining... I'll take that with a grain of salt though.
Sponsored