Finally test drive a 392

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
So a slightly used beautiful 392 @ a great price. I figure why not. Took my new JLUR 2.0 over to the dealer got an almost sticker trade in and took the 392 out for a spin. Not for me. First, took out my stop watch. Didnt meet the under 5 seconds from a stop just by pressing on the gas. 2nd,the theatrics we see online about getting thrown back into your seat is complete BS. Not the thrill they claim. 3rd, its VERY HEAVY with a deep brake and lots of play in steering. Would I buy it? Yes but not nearly what they are asking. The hemi even feels old compard to the 2.0. I leave with saying that the 2.0 technology is awesome (much more so than the 3.6) and Im really looking for to the inline 6 twin turbo
This has to be utter and compelete BS. Sorry man. I have owned many a stupidly overpowered automobile, including the absolutely dangerous 427 SC Cobra. You either drove the only diesel powered 392 wrangler, are totally full of it and this is a joke, or need an emergency room for the stroke you are having. I drove one myself. Is it Turbo 911 S fast? No. But it, without question, hauls ass and makes you wonder how they decided this was OK to green light for production to the masses. The torque is phenomenal. Its, well, perfect!
Sponsored

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition
So a slightly used beautiful 392 @ a great price. I figure why not. Took my new JLUR 2.0 over to the dealer got an almost sticker trade in and took the 392 out for a spin. Not for me. First, took out my stop watch. Didnt meet the under 5 seconds from a stop just by pressing on the gas. 2nd,the theatrics we see online about getting thrown back into your seat is complete BS. Not the thrill they claim. 3rd, its VERY HEAVY with a deep brake and lots of play in steering. Would I buy it? Yes but not nearly what they are asking. The hemi even feels old compard to the 2.0. I leave with saying that the 2.0 technology is awesome (much more so than the 3.6) and Im really looking for to the inline 6 twin turbo
I bought the 4Xe and suggest you try that and take out your stopwatch. Comparable to what the 392 is supposed to be. Trust me, you will be surprised.

OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
This has to be utter and compelete BS. Sorry man. I have owned many a stupidly overpowered automobile, including the absolutely dangerous 427 SC Cobra. You either drove the only diesel powered 392 wrangler, are totally full of it and this is a joke, or need an emergency room for the stroke you are having. I drove one myself. Is it Turbo 911 S fast? No. But it, without question, hauls ass and makes you wonder how they decided this was OK to green light for production to the masses. The torque is phenomenal. Its, well, perfect!
well im happy to hear that. What you and others have said is what i was expecting and why I sat in traffic after work to look at it. But even if the dealer filled up with regular and I didnt use a launch control (if it has ) or let the engine warm up , it wasnt anything like what you guys described. it was used with 6,000 miles on it. This attack on my review makes me want to give it another go and see if another is different.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
well im happy to hear that. What you and others have said is what i was expecting and why I sat in traffic after work to look at it. But even if the dealer filled up with regular and I didnt use a launch control (if it has ) or let the engine warm up , it wasnt anything like what you guys described. it was used with 6,000 miles on it. This attack on my review makes me want to give it another go and see if another is different.
Excellent idea, and post some pictures so there's no doubt about this being legit.

RharrisLVNV

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392
Excellent idea, and post some pictures so there's no doubt about this being legit.
I agree! I finally got my 392XR that I ordered November 17 on June 3rd. It killed me going through the break in procedures. LOL! But now I can finally enjoy it. This thing is so awesome. I don’t know what he drove but it’s definitely not what I own. Crazy fast and so much fun in the off-road plus mode!

Sponsored

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Something ain't kosher. That is for sure. Try another one if you can. If that fails to impress your senses or tickle the butt hole pucker control, you may want to consider a career in bull shark tooth collecting, on live sharks, or squirrel suit base jumping etc. 😂

RharrisLVNV

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392
Something ain't kosher. That is for sure. Try another one if you can. If that fails to impress your senses or tickle the butt hole pucker control, you may want to consider a career in bull shark tooth collecting, on live sharks, or squirrel suit base jumping etc. 😂
LMAO

OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I bought the 4Xe and suggest you try that and take out your stopwatch. Comparable to what the 392 is supposed to be. Trust me, you will be surprised.
This has to be the dumbest post I have seen.
It may have been a special engine designed for the 13th Regiment Airforce division . oorah! + farts

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
  • What do you think is a "great price" on a slightly used (potentially messed up) 392? If it isn't much cheaper than what you can find on here, then it's far from a "great price"
  • Using a stopwatch whilst driving is going to add time to the ET; use an accelerometer
  • Nobody claimed under 5 seconds "from a stop just by pressing on the gas" (cf. the performance manual re: torque reserve) and at altitude (see if TFL timed it at altitude)
  • I've gotten 5-5-1/2s on slight inclines with several hundred pounds of cargo, SoT open and windows down with my fully-loaded XR (Tazer-timed)--it breaks the tires loose and regains traction a few times and still keeps it straight, compliant
  • I'm still getting used to the lack of play in and feather-light responsiveness of the steering; the one you test drove must have an issue
  • The engine is heavier, yes, but also has a lift and a different suspension as a result and so many people commented that it drives nicer than a non-392 Rubicon. (I wouldn't know, the last Jeep I rode in was a friend's new YJ)
  • Launching this thing throws all 6k lbs back, practically lifting the front end off the ground--like a bucking bronco (the animal, not the Jeep-lite)--and I'm wondering how much the stability control is mitigating that. You will be pulled into your seat but that feeling is mitigated by the soft suspension and your height (you move in an arc, not a straight line, so you don't feel all the inertia); this is completely different than in a performance vehicle, low to the ground and with a stiff suspension (my tuned PT GT feels faster--subjective--even pins me in my seat much harder--relative--but it is most definitely not faster than the Jeep, per my accelerometer drag times--objective)
  • Newer/"modern" doesn't mean better (genetic fallacy). What is "awesome" about "the 2.0 technology"? Turbo lag? "Performance is Limited - service fuel system" that baffles dealerships? Carbon deposits on the valves? Two batteries that get drained and leave you stranded (for that Range Rover-like experience)? Yeah, the predictable smooth early-on push-rod torque and mechanical simplicity and longevity definitely feel "old" ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I could just be a really bad driver or possibly this used unit out of the thousands manufactured had a flaw. But I’m one person blogging and ur 20 people half of whom could be Jeep reps. Had it been a great experience O would be very favorable as I am with my current one. Premium fuel makes a big difference in the turbo.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Altitude makes a big difference. Try one at sea level instead of at 4500 feet, and it will feel like it has 15% more power, because it does. That is an extra 70 hp. Or, stated differently, the 392 you drove had 400 hp, because of altitude. Did it feel like a Jeep with 400 HP?

I have noticed this over the years with numerous vehicls. ATVs tend to be under powered in general. I would read about a sport utility ATV in a magazine, and the writer would claim that it had so much power that it would wheelie, just by pressing the throttle all the way. Funny, I owned the same ATV and mine wouldn't do that at my home at 6000 ft elevation. Then a few months later, on a trip to the Dumont sand dunes, elevation 700 to 1200 ft, and suddenly my ATV could pull wheelies just by pressing the throttle from a dead stop.

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
What's your daily driver? Maybe that's the problem... My other car is a 2013 Viper and the 392 still feels fast cause it's 100% traction at launch. 170 HP difference but it's all usable in the Jeep.

I have to say I drove mine up to Vegas this week and it's a great road trip car. Tons of power at any speed (except above 100)! Funny some owners say why would you need a Jeep to go faster than 100 mph. After taking this on the highway, I know why.

But the passing power, uphill, into the wind, etc. didn't matter, it just pulls and was a blast.

On your next test drive, definitely turn on Offroad+, stomp on the brake and gas for about 2.5 seconds until you hear the pitch change, release the brake, and let us know how you feel. I swear last time I did that it felt like the front tires were off the ground. Lightheaded, stomach feels like you're on a roller coaster. There's a reason everyone who launches this on Youtube either laughs or screams uncontrollably. Literally everyone.

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
You go Boy! Tell’em how it is after 1 test drive…2.0 all the way 😂😂😂

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If anything, I see soccer moms trampling each other to get their hands on a Jeep Wrangler.
This. Jeeps have never been for their known for stability, they are known for the capability. For the soccer mom/mall cruiser they are all about “the look”. There is a dealer in my neck of the woods (whose name shall not be listed to protect the guilty) who always has a pretty basic Sport S JLU with monster tires and a lift sitting on the showroom floor, typically marked WAAAY up in Rubicon range $$ wise. Sells them pretty steadily to the “cool kids”. I doubt many of them ever drove a Jeep before, and crash results definitely don’t fit into the equation😏
Sponsored