Sponsored

FCA Projects 2019 JL Sales Down from 2018

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
We have a Nuclear power plant (TVA) just about 45 mins up the road. As a result, we have very reasonable electricity prices. I still would like my own solar though.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
We have a Nuclear power plant (TVA) just about 45 mins up the road. As a result, we have very reasonable electricity prices. I still would like my own solar though.
Ditto, but I can't see paying for something that will take me 20yrs to break even on.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I think you are right about TJ values, but I suspect JK values will drop. JL values are not holding, so it makes no sense that JK values hold.
People who are trading one year old JLā€™s are so few and far between I donā€™t see how anybody can make an assumption on long term resell values.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
People who are trading one year old JLā€™s are so few and far between I donā€™t see how anybody can make an assumption on long term resell values.
Simple economics. Huge discounts on new and overstocked lots. A typical FCA problem.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Simple economics. Huge discounts on new and overstocked lots. A typical FCA problem.
Are they discounted though? I havenā€™t seen any. I got a discount on mine but thatā€™s only because I ordered it and had to prove I had an offer from an out of state volume dealer.
ā€œJeep seasonā€ is usually right after tax returns start getting mailed, and during the summer (which is coincidently when they also shut down production for a few months). Looking at inventory numbers during the winter during a government shutdown isnā€™t really much of a data point.

Sponsored

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i know its seems late ... but i think we are seeing the result of the cash for clunker program. they totally destroyed the used car market and companies have to discount current vehicles to keep the product moving. combine with what i read about subprime auto loans and this should be a good opportunity for people with cash or good credit. The vast majority of us ,,,, no so good. the cash for clunkers made it take a long time for used car inventory to get to where it is now and the dealers are struggling to move product. i heard a salesman say that the car company will give a bonus to the dealership for moving cars even if said cars move at a discount. the ads i hear on the radio now from the jeep dealer do not mention JK or JL. only Dodge vehicles that they cant move

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they discounted though? I havenā€™t seen any. I got a discount on mine but thatā€™s only because I ordered it and had to prove I had an offer from an out of state volume dealer.
ā€œJeep seasonā€ is usually right after tax returns start getting mailed, and during the summer (which is coincidently when they also shut down production for a few months). Looking at inventory numbers during the winter during a government shutdown isnā€™t really much of a data point.
Dealership discounts are heavy. Manufacture discounts are pretty much non-existent. In the past, dealers would only offer a small discount if anything on JKs. Now, people have a lot of dealer choices to get hefty discounts. Itā€™s on the person to get the discount though. But it is hard to sell a used JL for ā€˜xā€™ of dollars when a new one is being advertised for the same price on autotrader.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Dealership discounts are heavy. Manufacture discounts are pretty much non-existent. In the past, dealers would only offer a small discount if anything on JKs. Now, people have a lot of dealer choices to get hefty discounts. Itā€™s on the person to get the discount though. But it is hard to sell a used JL for ā€˜xā€™ of dollars when a new one is being advertised for the same price on autotrader.
Thereā€™s really not a vast quantity of used JLā€™s on the market for it to even be an option. As summer approaches, and people start feeling like theyā€™re missing out on good weather, they may be more inclined to make an impulse buy on whateverā€™s left on the lot. Right now when most of the country is buried in snow and freezing weather, thereā€™s probably no urgency. Iā€™m sure a lot of this is regional.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thereā€™s really not a vast quantity of used JLā€™s on the market for it to even be an option. As summer approaches, and people start feeling like theyā€™re missing out on good weather, they may be more inclined to make an impulse buy on whateverā€™s left on the lot. Right now when most of the country is buried in snow and freezing weather, thereā€™s probably no urgency. Iā€™m sure a lot of this is regional.
I currently have my JL for sale. I have always been able to sell my previous model Wranglers very quickly (days if not hours) and close to what I paid. I am having a difficult time selling my JL. The offers have been extremely low, especially trade in offers from multiple dealers. The writing is on the wall.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I currently have my JL for sale. I have always been able to sell my previous model Wranglers very quickly (days if not hours) and close to what I paid. I am having a difficult time selling my JL. The offers have been extremely low, especially trade in offers from multiple dealers. The writing is on the wall.
Do you normally sell Wranglers less than a year after you bought it, one year into the new design year, and in the winter? You have too many other variable to consider before seeing any writing.

As a buyer, I would be thinking this if I saw your ad:
1) I have to do a private party sale which is not as convenient as a dealer.
2) itā€™s less than a year old thus not heavily discounted, yet there are brand new JLā€™s on the lot now and I can order what I specifically want if I have to.
3) Itā€™s less than a year old and already being sold, which might indicate something is wrong with it. (It is the first year run of an FCA product)
4) itā€™s winter time, no rush. Removable doors and roof can wait a few more months,

When I was looking for a 2012 in the summer of 2012, they had a 2011 (with the old engine) on the lot marked down just $1100 from the MSRP of the 2012ā€™s on the lot. It wasnā€™t marked down enough for me to consider it a bargain, but in order for them to list it for $1100 off, they most likely took it as a trade for much lower than that.
Jeepā€™s hold their value when amortized over several years, but that doesnā€™t mean the first yearā€™s depreciation will be equal to the last. First year is the worst and Jeepā€™s are like any other new car in that regard.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you normally sell Wranglers less than a year after you bought it, one year into the new design year, and in the winter? You have too many other variable to consider before seeing any writing.

As a buyer, I would be thinking this if I saw your ad:
1) I have to do a private party sale which is not as convenient as a dealer.
2) itā€™s less than a year old thus not heavily discounted, yet there are brand new JLā€™s on the lot now and I can order what I specifically want if I have to.
3) Itā€™s less than a year old and already being sold, which might indicate something is wrong with it. (It is the first year run of an FCA product)
4) itā€™s winter time, no rush. Removable doors and roof can wait a few more months,

When I was looking for a 2012 in the summer of 2012, they had a 2011 (with the old engine) on the lot marked down just $1100 from the MSRP of the 2012ā€™s on the lot. It wasnā€™t marked down enough for me to consider it a bargain, but in order for them to list it for $1100 off, they most likely took it as a trade for much lower than that.
Jeepā€™s hold their value when amortized over several years, but that doesnā€™t mean the first yearā€™s depreciation will be equal to the last. First year is the worst and Jeepā€™s are like any other new car in that regard.
Yes to all your questions. I have owned and sold a lot of cars.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I saw someone complaining about the jl being all over the road compared to the jk on a non car forum. That is probably not helping either.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
I checked into Solar this Fall, and with the "savings", it would take 20 yrs to pay for the system! WTF...
We have solar systems on two homes, both purchased, not leased. The older system is 62 months old and just broke even. All the power produced from here on out is free, probably will have to add a few panels once Jeep makes the plug-in hybrid. I donā€™t know who told you twenty years.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
We have solar systems on two homes, both purchased, not leased. The older system is 62 months old and just broke even. All the power produced from here on out is free, probably will have to add a few panels once Jeep makes the plug-in hybrid. I donā€™t know who told you twenty years.
It depends on where you live, rebates available. how much your electric cost are, how much sun you get, how long your seasons are, roof shape, etc.
Then there is lost opportunity cost (i.e. investing thousands in solar when the stock market returns an average of 10% would probably be a more cost effective way to offset energy cost), and roof age ( taking down newer solar panels to replace old roof). (Note: Elon Musk doesnā€™t even have solar).
With solar cost still dropping and efficiency continuing to improve, it can be said that buying panels today intended to last the life of the home itā€™s the worst possible time to buy them. Until those improvements level off anyway.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It depends on where you live, rebates available. how much your electric cost are, how much sun you get, how long your seasons are, roof shape, etc.
Then there is lost opportunity cost (i.e. investing thousands in solar when the stock market returns an average of 10% would probably be a more cost effective way to offset energy cost), and roof age ( taking down newer solar panels to replace old roof). (Note: Elon Musk doesnā€™t even have solar).
With solar cost still dropping and efficiency continuing to improve, it can be said that buying panels today intended to last the life of the home itā€™s the worst possible time to buy them. Until those improvements level off anyway.
Yeah I think it's so high for me because my average electric bill is less than $200 a month. So by the time you pay for a $22k dollar system, maintenance and upkeep, it just isn't feasible.
Sponsored