KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
To the rich buyers who throw their money around .
Have you driven a new JL or even sat in one yet?

My 2009 2 doorJK (sport S) sold for $10,340 less than a new 2018 sport S ($21,800 vs $32,140). I don’t believe and increase in price of approximately $1,100/year is that great when you factor in the technology and safety improvements that the JL has when compared to the JL.

In addition, the difference in fit and finish from the JK to the JL just blows me away. My JK was rather crude with an overall “cheap” feel to just about everything, especially the interior. When compared to the quality of materials and finish of my new JL they are simply not in the same league.

All that said my JK was a blast to drive and was a billy goat off road that went most places stock rubicon’s could g. She was also mechanically sound over her lifespan with me. When I sold her to buy the JL she had over 140,000 miles and the dipstick on the 3.8 was still at the full mark at every oil change (5000 miles).

Everything goes up in price over time and I think the value of the JL when compared to a similar configured JK is actually better. Time will tell on the reliability aspect but I’m hoping for the best in that regard.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
My 2009 2 doorJK (sport S) sold for $10,340 less than a new 2018 sport S ($21,800 vs $32,140). I don’t believe and increase in price of approximately $1,100/year is that great when you factor in the technology and safety improvements that the JL has when compared to the JL.
All that said my JK was a blast to drive and was a billy goat off road that went most places stock rubicon’s could g. She was also mechanically sound over her lifespan with me. When I sold her to buy the JL she had over 140,000 miles and the dipstick on the 3.8 was still at the full mark at every oil change (5000 miles).
Now this is a reasoned and understandable defense of the JL , while discussing the basic qualities of the previous model .

Is the 2018 JL price of $32,140 an msrp price , or a discount price . If so , approximately how much was the discount .

Also , approximately how much did you sell the 2009 JK ? Thank you .

OP
OP
Taxman

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase

Everything goes up in price over time and I think the value of the JL when compared to a similar configured JK is actually better. Time will tell on the reliability aspect but I’m hoping for the best in that regard.
This argument is flawed. When comparing purchasing power over a period of time, you can't look at dollars, you need to look at percentages. A $10,340 increase in the price of the same vehicle over 9 years represents a 47% increase over the 9-year period. The annual inflation rate using the standard 4-item consumer price index model during that time averaged about 1.783%, whereas the price of the Jeep increased by about 4.321% annually. Using the standard inflation rate, the price of your 2018 Sport S JL should really be about $25,500. Now ask yourself have there been $6,500 worth of improvements to the JL from the previous model? I don't know the answer to that question, but maybe.

To make it more relatable, take a job for instance where in 2009 paid $50,000 per year. Does that same job today pay $73,500 per year? I'm not sure that it does. The price increase in the JL certainly jumped up more than an average car. However, I think there are three components to the price increase in the JL: 1. Inflation, 2. Improvements and 3. Increased profit margins. From my example above, we know inflation is responsible for about 1/3rd of the price increase. I think the improvements probably represent more than 1/3rd because the JK (especially the pre-2011 models) were very spartan. They didn't have much trim or extras. At least in my Rubicon, there are easily more than $3-4k worth of improvements that my 2008 JKUR didn't have (LEDs, nicer interior, better suspension, larger tires, better radio, better soft top, etc).

I remember there was a also a significant bump in the price when the JK got the redesigned interior in 2011. More stuff = more $$. Whether you think the price increase is justified or not, will depend on whether you appreciate the improvements made to the JL. Just my 2 cents.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
This argument is flawed. When comparing purchasing power over a period of time, you can't look at dollars, you need to look at percentages. A $10,340 increase in the price of the same vehicle over 9 years represents a 47% increase over the 9-year period. The annual inflation rate using the standard 4-item consumer price index model during that time averaged about 1.783%, whereas the price of the Jeep increased by about 4.321% annually. Using the standard inflation rate, the price of your 2018 Sport S JL should really be about $25,500. Now ask yourself have there been $6,500 worth of improvements to the JL from the previous model? I don't know the answer to that question, but maybe.

To make it more relatable, take a job for instance where in 2009 paid $50,000 per year. Does that same job today pay $73,500 per year? I'm not sure that it does. The price increase in the JL certainly jumped up more than an average car. However, I think there are three components to the price increase in the JL: 1. Inflation, 2. Improvements and 3. Increased profit margins. From my example above, we know inflation is responsible for about 1/3rd of the price increase. I think the improvements probably represent more than 1/3rd because the JK (especially the pre-2011 models) were very spartan. They didn't have much trim or extras. At least in my Rubicon, there are easily more than $3-4k worth of improvements that my 2008 JKUR didn't have (LEDs, nicer interior, better suspension, larger tires, better radio, better soft top, etc).

I remember there was a also a significant bump in the price when the JK got the redesigned interior in 2011. More stuff = more $$. Whether you think the price increase is justified or not, will depend on whether you appreciate the improvements made to the JL. Just my 2 cents.
Excellent argument and presentation , but unfortunately you omit the JL quality control problems which do not increase the value , and ought not increase the price .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I agree, if you look at almost any car on the market you have to spend between $30,000 and $40,000 before you get anything really decent, in my opinion.

As for the Jeep Wrangler, how popular and how many do you think would be selling if they remained true to form as pre JK? Can you imagine today if all wranglers were the little 2door models of yesteryear.

Seriously, making Jeeps is like making every other kind of automobile in the industry. You design and build what sells and makes you money, PERIOD!
Excellent argument and succinct presentation , but omits the ethical obligation of the JL manufacturer to address quality control problems ; which problems decrease the value , and raise the frustration of those who care about how they spend their money .

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Now this is a reasoned and understandable defense of the JL , while discussing the basic qualities of the previous model .

Is the 2018 JL price of $32,140 an msrp price , or a discount price . If so , approximately how much was the discount .

Also , approximately how much did you sell the 2009 JK ? Thank you .
The price I quoted is MSRP direct from Jeep website and I sold my JK for $10,000, which is amazing in itself considering it being 9 years old with 140,000 miles.

OP
OP
Taxman

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent argument and presentation , but unfortunately you omit the JL quality control problems which do not increase the value , and ought not increase the price .
What quality control issues have not been resolved?

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
To the rich buyers who throw their money around .
What rich buyers? I mean sure there are folks with money buying but you certainly do not have to be rich. It’s basically the same for Jeep as many other vehicles. All you need is...

Job
Decent credit
Willingness to take on a 6, 7, or 8 year auto loan

Now is the above the smart way to do it? Let’s not bother going down that rathole.

OP
OP
Taxman

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
You are respectfully referred to the forum : " Issues , Repairs , Warranty , TSB , Recalls " .
Exactly. They’ve all been addressed and resolved. Most of the press surrounding the JL is overwhelmingly positive. These issues that we read about on the forum are the extreme ends of the spectrum and are not representative of the majority of JL owners.

I’ve read all the threads on issues here, but all of them have been addressed by FCA. I don’t think those issues reduce the resale value or marketability of the JL.
Sponsored