Sponsored

Factory Steel Bumper warning

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I think the dealer was being sarcastic because he was complaining about scratching his steel bumper finish. Like it was some kind of factory defect. I wouldn't have been so nice in my sarcasm. The dealership was right in telling him that if he wants the dealership to be responsible for bumper scratches then let the dealership remove the end-caps. don't scratch up your own shit and expect the dealership to cover it.
Yeah I just re-read his post. I didn't realize HE scratched it. Yeah, if I drop my freedom panel that's not under warranty lol. .

The cross threaded bolt though. That should be covered unless it was user error, as well as the rusty hinge and speaker. If the dealer isn't fixing them. Go somewhere else. Those are all easily fixed items.
Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that on this forum I could pay for everyones mods. Not many good dealers for sure which is sad.
I know, it's an annoying answer but it's true. There's good ones around. You're in orange county. There's a couple not too far from you if you need recommendations.

I've been to some total shit dealers, but my current one fixes anything I throw at them without questioning it.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I know, it's an annoying answer but it's true. There's good ones around. You're in orange county. There's a couple not too far from you if you need recommendations.

I've been to some total shit dealers, but my current one fixes anything I throw at them without questioning it.
Always open to suggestions, thanks.

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
That's silly. Find another dealer. That's like saying, freedom tops are only to be removed by the dealer. Those end caps are meant to be removed by the owner. That's why they used the same size bolts that fit the INCLUDED tool kit.
Not trying to be "that person", but just a cautionary note that the supplied tool kit does not come with the necessary size torx bit to remove the end caps. I am only bringing it up because I did try to remove my end caps (without reading the manual ... because who reads the manual) with the supplied tool kit and stripped one of the bolts ... which was super fun to rectify.

The end caps require a T45 and the tool kit comes with T40 and T50.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper warning 1595611423254

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper warning 1595611442139

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Not trying to be "that person", but just a cautionary note that the supplied tool kit does not come with the necessary size torx bit to remove the end caps. I am only bringing it up because I did try to remove my end caps (without reading the manual ... because who reads the manual) with the supplied tool kit and stripped one of the bolts ... which was super fun to rectify.

The end caps require a T45 and the tool kit comes with T40 and T50.

that’s strange. I’ve removed mine multiple times with the bit from my tool kit and I don’t remember it not fitting correctly. I’ll check again tonight. Now I gotta know.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And as tight as the bumper bolts are I wouldn't use that little ratchet.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Being a jeep owner presently and having owned two several years ago with off road in my blood, this thread is embarrassing
When i first read the title to this thread, I was thinking, "Oh No! Not a recall, Or a death hazard warning" "SUPRISE" Its a freekin scratch warning

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
On a serious note. It happens though. I just destroyed a bolt on one of my exposed racks, part due to what I think a bit of bad design, and part because of my own man handling. No biggie.
What did you do to your Exposed Racks? I installed mine with the screws in the wrong direction, had to take off and redo. I really like the streamlined look but directions and explanations are lacking.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
What did you do to your Exposed Racks? I installed mine with the screws in the wrong direction, had to take off and redo. I really like the streamlined look but directions and explanations are lacking.
So the bolts that connect hardtop brackets to the bars. there is very small if any clearance between the hole in the bar and bracket. I think what happened is that the thread of one of my bolts was touching the bar which is made of harder steel, so it ruined the thread. When I went to pull out the bolt I couldn't. It only happened to one though. So you have to be very careful when puting the bolts in or out and make 100% sure they do not touch the rack bars. Is there a proper direction to install them? lol

I am more worried about the small lower bracket with the angled screw. That screw did not go in effortlesly, I do not want to touch that. I was very careful when installing those cause I noticed the design is just a recipe for disaster if those are not aligned. I was less careful about the other ones.

I was intending to use this with top off sometimes, but I think I am gonna pass and just leave it on the hardtop.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper warning IMG_20200723_141423185

These I am more worried about
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper warning IMG_20200724_120059680

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
And as tight as the bumper bolts are I wouldn't use that little ratchet.
I used the factory bit with a bigger ratchet. That little one wasn’t even enough to break them loose originally.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
So the bolts that connect hardtop brackets to the bars. there is very small if any clearance between the hole in the bar and bracket. I think what happened is that the thread of one of my bolts was touching the bar which is made of harder steel, so it ruined the thread. When I went to pull out the bolt I couldn't. It only happened to one though. So you have to be very careful when puting the bolts in or out and make 100% sure they do not touch the rack bars. Is there a proper direction to install them? lol

I am more worried about the small lower bracket with the angled screw. That screw did not go in effortlesly, I do not want to touch that. I was very careful when installing those cause I noticed the design is just a recipe for disaster if those are not aligned. I was less careful about the other ones.

I was intending to use this with top off sometimes, but I think I am gonna pass and just leave it on the hardtop.

These I am more worried about
Yes, I had the same problem but I did not strip the bolts, and the side pieces were a little hard to screw in as you mentioned. As far as the "right "way, I'm not sure but the picture pictured the bolt head towards the front of the Jeep. So I changed them, its a better look anyway.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just removed my end caps last night and several of the bolts were incredibly difficult. Someone several posts up did post images about loosening bolts 1&2... I was unaware because of course I didn’t read the manual.. wondering if that would have somehow made the tight bolts easier?
Sponsored