Exterior Color Selection

jparty1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JGC
Honestly, the red Rubicon accents are 80% of the reason I have a Sahara and not a Rubicon. I did *extensive* research on this before ordering. It is stupid expensive to truly get rid of them, but there are basically 3 ways to do it (4 if you count just buying a Sahara. :)):
  1. Order a 4xe = probably the easiest, but also the most expensive. The 4xe comes with a BEAUTIFUL set of blue accents. They're just lovely. The tax credit makes this a bit better, but it's still a premium.
  2. Order black cloth/leather and remove yourself = cheapest, but a hassle. The dash panels and decals are obviously pretty easy to get rid of. It's the stitching that's a pain. Red stitching EVERYWHERE. The most common DIY solution is a fabric marker, but this is tedious as you have to go over every single thread, and it risks that coming off on your clothes/hands over time. No thanks.
  3. Order tan leather interior (to get grey stitching/accents) and then use Katskinz to go back to black = pretty pricey. It's $1.7K for the tan leather, and then another $1.8K for Katskinz (in my area) to go back to black. So you're dropping ~$4K extra (on top of Rubicon pricing) just to get a normal colored interior.
As I'm not likely to be doing many trails that need a Rubicon (that a Sahara can't handle), I'm happy with my Sahara.
Great great points. I also won't be wheeling a ton. I just like Rubicon hood vents and extra height (without having to get a lift).

Has anyone come across a good chart to highlight spec / feature differences across models?
Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
There's no way for me to know how many of this audience actually use your Wranglers for long off-road or overlanding excursions. And, for those of you who don't, any color is a fine choice. It's all about aesthetics. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But, for those of us who have and do use their Wrangler in remote areas and potentially dangerous situations and often alone and don't travel or perhaps prefer not to travel as part of a guided tour or jamboree, there are other considerations.

If you're in a black, grey, brown, or dark greenish kind of Wrangler and you slip off your route, down into a ravine, and get stuck, perhaps injured, in a wooded setting, then rescuers, including aerial searchers, are going to have a harder time spotting you through the trees before you maybe liquify and they can go by scent.

In those circumstances, one of the brighter colors, one that might even seem clownish at the mall (if you care), might be a better choice. If you think you might get turned completely over, you might even think about metalcloak armor or painting another brand of armor a bright color. White is a bit cheaper; but, red is very good practically all year and yellows and oranges are good anytime other than a short time during peak fall foliage. Again, if you care, these bright colors might make city dwellers think you're silly or eccentric; but, off-roaders and other folks who have been there and done that will get the picture.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Easy choice for me is Hydro Blue. I would have that if it would have been a choice between that and Mojito! I lean towards blue anyway, but I especially like this particular blue on the JL. Stands out a bit but not too much.

Deleted member 59498

Really need to see them in person to get a better idea. They all look better first hand.

Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Of your listed choices I would go with the Crystal Granite. As others have said the Billet Silver is no longer available so you can cross that off the list. Sting Gray was my original 1st choice but it became too trendy and now seems kind of lifeless to me. Like someone else said see the colors in person. There is a Crystal Granite where I work and it looks great. I had eliminated Snazzberry based on the Jeep website rendering of it. As soon as I saw it in person I realized that it is actually Octane Red with a different name. I ordered Snazzberry.

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Hi there

I am planning to buy my new wrangler before the end of this year, thinking to get the Sport model 4-doors, but very confused about the exterior color. I would like to hear your opinions and preferences to help me choose better. I am a 40-year-old Male and want to use the Wrangler for casual use.

Colors: Sting-Gray, Sarge Green, Billet Silver, or Granite Crystal.

I feel the Granite might be too dark though.

thanks
My wife and I ordered our 80th in Granite. It is an amazing color. No regrets.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
There's no way for me to know how many of this audience actually use your Wranglers for long off-road or overlanding excursions.

But, for those of us who have and do use their Wrangler in remote areas and potentially dangerous situations and often alone and don't travel or perhaps prefer not to travel as part of a guided tour or jamboree, there are other considerations.
This is me!

If you're in a black, grey, brown, or dark greenish kind of Wrangler and you slip off your route, down into a ravine, and get stuck, perhaps injured, in a wooded setting, then rescuers, including aerial searchers, are going to have a harder time spotting you through the trees before you maybe liquify and they can go by scent.
Precisely why I chose grey, I don’t want to be found. Not all of us have bright colorful lives and family we need to get back to.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Precisely why I chose grey, I don’t want to be found. Not all of us have bright colorful lives and family we need to get back to.
[/QUOTE]

Steven, you need to rethink things. Despite so much of the horse manure that permeates our society, none of us really have any "divine purpose" laid out for us. It's arrogant to think God would willingly expend time planning our personal parties. But, there are needs in the world and all of us can find a way to pitch in and make it better.

If you have the resources to build that elegant vehicle, then you have the resources to pursue education/training to develop capabilities needed in the world. Use those capabilities ethically and, whether you like it or not, somebody will come to depend on you. If you're as "homeless" as you claim, use those resources to build a home and there will be plenty of folks who'll want to share it; if not someone where you're at, then look farther afield. Even if all you had to your name was that tricked-out Wrangler, there are folks around the globe in such dismal straits that they would think they had died and gone to heaven to get to share even that with you. You just have to be proactive, cautious, flexible, tolerant, and think about how you could give them a chance. The only rule that you have to follow is to forget about yourself. If at first you don't succeed, ponder whether you had anything better to do anyway, then try again.

At my age, I often like to be alone; but, it's because, at my age, my thoughts and pursuits don't always fit what others need, want, or like at the moment and not because I haven't had a "bright colorful" life as you call it or don't have a family. My "bright colorful" life started with many miserable years pursuing an education, then working on our national security, followed by years after that helping with search and rescue and wilderness first response. During all of those years, I worked with folks who had problems, physical and otherwise; but, we found a way for them to contribute. I dedicated much of my life to others needs and have a family that needs me, just not all the time at this point. I followed the advice I now give you.

Sponsored

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Easy choice for me is Hydro Blue. I would have that if it would have been a choice between that and Mojito! I lean towards blue anyway, but I especially like this particular blue on the JL. Stands out a bit but not too much.
Could not agree more
Jeep Wrangler JL Exterior Color Selection 0D340B65-613A-4543-8AD6-AD501B4B4CF1

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Never even bothered to look at snazzberry until I saw one in person.
I was leaning towards black, until I saw a snazz on the lot.
The web photos don’t do these colors justice. Gotta head to the lot and see for real.
Ditto. I really had no idea just how much the Snazzberry paint color pops.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exterior Color Selection 20210304_104806

au1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe, BMW X1
Occupation
Chickens
My .02 from someone who has a Granite 4xe on the way.

A Wrangler is one of the few vehicles out there that can pull off a bold color so don’t be shy about looking at something off the wall...Gecko for instance. Snazzberry is stunning in person!

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
^^ agree- Snazzy is great up close.