flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Long-time Jeeper here, who just ordered a 2-door Sport JL. I have read pages and pages about "death wobble" in this forum...what it is, when it happens, what to do about it, etc., but none have really explained what it FEELS like, or how I know that it is occurring. I have decades of driving experience with CJs and TJs, but this isn't an issue with those models. Before I drive my JL for the first time, I'd just like some idea of how it manifests so I can promptly identify it. Thanks in advance, and best of luck to those who are still contending with this issue. Much appreciated.
Sponsored

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
A true death wobble is when your front tires start turning left and right rapidly and uncontrollably. It's entirely unpredictable and you have to slow to a near stop to get it to stop.

I think the term gets over used here by people coming from ifs to describe a shimmy as you hit expansion joints or railroad crossing.

Whoisalejo

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I just beat it with new ball joints and a beefier track bar, my issue was weak ball joints so the tire would wobble with what I imagine was the top of the tires going out and back.

What it feels like though is this: imagine going on the most wash-board road but instead of up down, it's L/R. You feel the steering wheel oscillate with a ~2-3 inch amplitude and the way to stop it is by slowing down.

I wouldn't trust the stock ball joints, I'm sure they'll arrive fine from the factory, but they have plastic insides which will wear, some ppl say 8k miles like mine, others up to 20k+

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes! Appreciate both responses above. Given the severity/frequency of this issue, and the likelihood that these components wear faster in Jeeps compared to road-only vehicles, I can't imagine why FCA wouldn't have issued a recall. Better yet, they could have just installed decent ball joints in the first place. Seems like a significant safety issue that could easily be resolved, and I'm surprised that this hasn't been a contributing factor in one or more accidents to date. Given that this has been going on for awhile, I suspect that folks have already advised NHTSA about it, but have we heard any response?

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
It’s typically found on modified/lifted vehicles running larger tires at a much higher frequency than stock vehicles; so Karen’ing to NHTSA isn’t really going to solve anything.

the way to go about correcting it is either use all mopar parts and stay within the specs they stipulate; or when you build- do it right.

i’d hazard a guess that the vast majority of wobbles come from improper install and people using “eh, that’s probably good enough” instead of the specified TQ specs. A close second would be people cheaping out, and you see the threads frequently. “Do i really need ball joints for my 42”’s? How about 37’s??” “can i skip upgrading the tie rod and drag link?” Etc etc. people also lift and cheap out on control arms, and their caster never gets right.

Build it right, dont cut corners, and you wont have wobble. That includes HD ball joints, tie rod, and drag link for the HD wheels and tires that get added.

There are, of course, some people who get legitimate component failure through no fault of their own; but they are the minority. There are many of us that did the build right and can go down the interstate, at speed, while loaded down, on big tires, and never get a wobble no matter what we hit. My truck is 100% stable 100% of the time. đź‘Ś

Sponsored

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
My first Cherokee XJ i bought had a nasty case. If i didnt know any better id swear each front tire was taking turns jumping off the pavement, coupled with uncontrollable vibration that would make your teeth hurt! It was Truly dangerous. Fixed with Moog ball joints as well as other freshend up front end components. Went on to be lifted 3.5” i only ran 31” Duratracs on it but i never had a single wobble again. Smooth and stable Jeep. Like @Kurt0 said. Built properly and smart it shouldn’t be an issue.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Been driving Jeeps for decades, so I agree about building right or just staying within MOPAR's spec. That should be common sense. I was only thinking about NHTSA for those cases where people had legitimate wobble concerns, which is not Karen'ing. When you read the pages upon pages about it in this forum, you'd think that every other Jeep coming off the assembly line was affected, so I'm glad to hear that's not really the case. I think I'm going to keep my JL Sport as stock as possible, perhaps only upgrading my rims/tires to those offered on the Willys. BTW...anyone have a set for sale? ;)

Last edited:

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
no shit. I had a wheel on my motorbike that went out of true during a trail ride. Highway back was freaky. Then I changed the steering damper and used blue instead of red And it happened again.

not fun.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
no shit. I had a wheel on my motorbike that went out of true during a trail ride. Highway back was freaky. Then I changed the steering damper and used blue instead of red And it happened again.

not fun.
I hear ya, buddy! Due to bad head bearings, I had a nasty tank slapper at about 75mph. There was no salvaging that pair of pants. Lol!
Jeep Wrangler JL Explain Death Wobble? 20140222_161059-1-1

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I hear ya, buddy! Due to bad head bearings, I had a nasty tank slapper at about 75mph. There was no salvaging that pair of pants. Lol!
Jeep Wrangler JL Explain Death Wobble? 20140222_161059-1-1
damn. Glad youre ok. I managed to stay up somehow.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
damn. Glad youre ok. I managed to stay up somehow.
Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that it stopped after 2 or 3 seconds. I never went down, but I pulled over for a well needed cigarette right after it calmed down.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR