Sponsored

Engine studder and thottle lag anyone else having this issue

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

im not sure how i missed this, but im trying this today.
Sponsored

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Please let us know how you make out with this. I'm a little concerned; as line one, "Insert ignition key," is not even applicable to a JL. I wonder where this info originated? I realize you can use the ESS button to turn it on; but the procedure was obviously not originally written for the JL.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Rev hang is one of my biggest frustrations. The surging in 1st went away when I moved to 37s, in fact, although it's slower, my Jeep feels waaay better with 37s, upshift at 3000 and rpm always drops to near 2000 for the next gear. It's like they chose the ratios for 35 or 37" rubber.

I tried the pedal commander and it was useless. Made the throttle harder to control and did nothing for the rev hang. I removed it in less than a week

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Rev hang is one of my biggest frustrations. The surging in 1st went away when I moved to 37s, in fact, although it's slower, my Jeep feels waaay better with 37s, upshift at 3000 and rpm always drops to near 2000 for the next gear. It's like they chose the ratios for 35 or 37" rubber.

I tried the pedal commander and it was useless. Made the throttle harder to control and did nothing for the rev hang. I removed it in less than a week
Agreed, the rev hang is my number one most hated "feature" of my manual JL. If someone were to make a mod/tuner/chip/part/whatever that could eliminate this rev hang, I would buy it in a second.

Rishsd

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I may have found the fix. Hill start assist is enabled. Once I disabled this feature the problem seemed to go away. It is in settings, safety/driving assistance.

Hill.jpg

Sponsored

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I may have found the fix. Hill start assist is enabled. Once I disabled this feature the problem seemed to go away. It is in settings, safety/driving assistance.

Hill.jpg
Thanks for your post. I have this thread flagged to my email. As soon as your post came in, that day, I switched my hill start assist off, before driving home from work. Now it has been a few days, this way. I gotta say, while my engine still is not what I would consider "right," I have not noticed the actual BUCKS and JERKS that usually come with prolonged, steady-pedal driving. So far, it does seem to be an improvement for me and you may be on to something! I hope it is not just the power of suggestion. In my case, the problem is sometimes better, sometimes worse; and there is no figuring what makes the difference. So, my jury is still kind of out on this. I will drive it a whole week without HSA and then switch back for a week and see if the problem gets worse again. But I have gone three whole days now where I could at least tolerate the way the thing runs, which is the first time I can say that in about 2400 miles! I am almost enjoying driving it, for a change. Let me know if yours continues to be good! Thanks again!

CUtigerInAL

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S, 1995 YJ
So I have a 2020 JLU Sport S 6MT, I definitely have the power drop/lugging/surge issue at constant throttle. This is not an issue with lugging the engine as this happens on flat road in 3rd or 4th gear at engine speeds above 2000 rpm or so and the accelerator is nowhere near fully depressed, probably 20% or so. It feels like a quick dip in power that drops for one second and then the power comes back. I have also had the engine speed hang with the clutch depressed. The lack of throttle response is unforgivable. This engine has been nerfed from the factory, I know 3.6 pentastar is better than this, come on Jeep. My 1995 4.0L YJ is way more responsive and probably quicker below 40 mph, or at the least feels likely it.

Anyone have any updates on this issue?

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Very interesting that they still have done nothing with this problem, for 2020, which is the third model year. Absolutely pathetic. There has been another thread started on this. There are a few threads actually, although none are very long, because only manuals have a VERY NOTICEABLE problem and they are few in number. Also, there is no factory solution. So, every thread dies. Here is what I just posted on the new thread:

Without reading every word of every posting in this thread, let me tell you I have been down this road. Half the people don't even understand what the problem is. FCA doesn't CARE about the problem. Quote from a regional tech: "I have felt better, I have felt worse and we're not doing anything about it right now." Let me tell you what actually helps. One: In settings, on you dash display, find "hill start assist," and turn it to OFF. You will find about a fifty percent improvement in run quality and find it EASIER to start on a hill. Second, and this is new......I just changed my wheels to some new-take-off Sahara wheels. They are 255 70R 18 Bridgestones.. Since I have put these on, the misfire problem is 95% gone. Old wheels were 245 75R 17 Goodyears. Side by side, there is about one inch difference in height. I agree that the gearing is horrible, throughout the entire range. You have to be going over 70 to even think about sixth. But this tire height, for what ever reason, seems to have changed ratios just enough to made a huge difference in my case, when just driving normally around town, between 35 and 45 mph.

Third, one other cheater trick is that when you hold a steady speed, the computer seems to dial in and lean it out too much, to save gas, I guess; and you get the misfire. If it starts doing that, if you change the throttle position ever so slightly on and off, it confuses the computer and it runs smooth again for awhile.

Since I have done the three things above, I no longer feel like pulling over and setting the vehicle on fire, in anger. like I used to. Lol.

Keep in mind that, sure, you can rev the hell out of the engine and you won't feel the problem. In the old days, that was called the "Italian Tune-up." Anybody that calls that a solution, including FCA, is just kidding themselves.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
By the way, I know of at least two early posters to these misfire threads, who have actually traded their Jeeps in because they got nowhere with FCA and just couldn't stand to be driving a vehicle that ran worse than a Model T Ford.

401nate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6m/t
Very interesting that they still have done nothing with this problem, for 2020, which is the third model year. Absolutely pathetic. There has been another thread started on this. There are a few threads actually, although none are very long, because only manuals have a VERY NOTICEABLE problem and they are few in number. Also, there is no factory solution. So, every thread dies. Here is what I just posted on the new thread:

Without reading every word of every posting in this thread, let me tell you I have been down this road. Half the people don't even understand what the problem is. FCA doesn't CARE about the problem. Quote from a regional tech: "I have felt better, I have felt worse and we're not doing anything about it right now." Let me tell you what actually helps. One: In settings, on you dash display, find "hill start assist," and turn it to OFF. You will find about a fifty percent improvement in run quality and find it EASIER to start on a hill. Second, and this is new......I just changed my wheels to some new-take-off Sahara wheels. They are 255 70R 18 Bridgestones.. Since I have put these on, the misfire problem is 95% gone. Old wheels were 245 75R 17 Goodyears. Side by side, there is about one inch difference in height. I agree that the gearing is horrible, throughout the entire range. You have to be going over 70 to even think about sixth. But this tire height, for what ever reason, seems to have changed ratios just enough to made a huge difference in my case, when just driving normally around town, between 35 and 45 mph.

Third, one other cheater trick is that when you hold a steady speed, the computer seems to dial in and lean it out too much, to save gas, I guess; and you get the misfire. If it starts doing that, if you change the throttle position ever so slightly on and off, it confuses the computer and it runs smooth again for awhile.

Since I have done the three things above, I no longer feel like pulling over and setting the vehicle on fire, in anger. like I used to. Lol.

Keep in mind that, sure, you can rev the hell out of the engine and you won't feel the problem. In the old days, that was called the "Italian Tune-up." Anybody that calls that a solution, including FCA, is just kidding themselves.
this was posted on the thread I started. Shutting hill assist off hasn’t had any effect nor has running 93. Still happens. What’s frustrating is it is primarily only in 3rd gear which is my around town cruising gear. I’m trying to adjust my driving style a bit and see if that helps but it is rather frustrating. I have a lift and 35’s on order so maybe it will change what rpm I’m at whencruising in town. Love the Jeep but it is certainty annoying.
Had my first oil change at 500miles at the dealer and took the foreman for a drive but the street they are on is a 40mph street so I could not replicate it.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Not even sure why they messed with anything from the JK tune.
Well you kind of have to retune when you increase the compression ratio, change the pistons, add two-stage variable valve lift, upgrad the VVT, add EGR, a new intake manifold, new fuel injectors, and new ignition coils, among other things.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
While I haven’t experienced the rev hang yet that I know of, the engine “hiccups” were quite noticeable in the 1600 interstate miles I put on this weekend. Last night I turned off the Hill Start Assist and did not notice any hiccups in about 20 miles of interstate driving.

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Autos are having the same issue, it's pining-pre detonating due to aggressive leaning out on cruise. Jeep wont fix it because releasing a new tune means issues with their EPA. First and last jeep for me...... hows that bronco looking ? lol

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Autos are having the same issue, it's pining-pre detonating due to aggressive leaning out on cruise. Jeep wont fix it because releasing a new tune means issues with their EPA. First and last jeep for me...... hows that bronco looking ? lol
Most of us knew what we were getting ourselves in to and we still did it because of the vehicle... that's what makes a true Jeeper. You definitely sound like a lost Toyota or even a Bronco guy (no one knows how the Bronco is either) :CWL:

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Most of us knew what we were getting ourselves in to and we still did it because of the vehicle... that's what makes a true Jeeper. You definitely sound like a lost Toyota or even a Bronco guy (no one knows how the Bronco is either) :CWL:
I added the last bit to at some revival to this thread... it worked :)
Sponsored