Engine studder and thottle lag anyone else having this issue

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
Thanks for your post. I have this thread flagged to my email. As soon as your post came in, that day, I switched my hill start assist off, before driving home from work. Now it has been a few days, this way. I gotta say, while my engine still is not what I would consider "right," I have not noticed the actual BUCKS and JERKS that usually come with prolonged, steady-pedal driving. So far, it does seem to be an improvement for me and you may be on to something! I hope it is not just the power of suggestion. In my case, the problem is sometimes better, sometimes worse; and there is no figuring what makes the difference. So, my jury is still kind of out on this. I will drive it a whole week without HSA and then switch back for a week and see if the problem gets worse again. But I have gone three whole days now where I could at least tolerate the way the thing runs, which is the first time I can say that in about 2400 miles! I am almost enjoying driving it, for a change. Let me know if yours continues to be good! Thanks again!
Today I turned off the Hill Start Assist, and the clutch feels much better. What I mean is that the engagement feels normal, no more of the vague, mushy engagement where you have to hope she doesn't stall cause the RPM's have dropped too low. I suggest everyone try it. It could be the placebo effect, but its worth a try.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I experience the same issues as everyone else below 2000 RPM, and driving in parking lots is the absolute worst. The vehicle bucks and kicks like a sick mare.
Mine did this too until my PCM was updated, now low speed driving is normal.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
A lot has been said about the fact that you have to wind the 3.6 above 2000 before everythng is fine. Also, we are supposed to stop whining because if we do whine, we're not true Jeepers. Well, I have had a lot of Jeeps and I feel this JL is not a Jeep. It is a brick-shaped Lexus. Between the lack of low end torque from the engine and the somewhat high ratio gearing, especially in reverse, God help you if you're trying to tow even the smallest trailer. A Jeep with no low end sack is not a Jeep. I'm sure opinions may vary.

Natek

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo E
Same here I have a 2018 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo automatic and it stutters some where in-between 20 an 40 mph , someone told me there's was doing that and then the radiator blew.

DuckmanUS

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 dr.
Mine is still stock, JL 2 door, 3.6L 8 spd and yes, on the 100 mile drive home I noticed it. (Skipping at highway speed) I read this entire thread and it really annoys me that a new vehicle does this with no fix by FCA. I'm about to have it lifted and tires/wheels/steering stabilizer among other things installed this week. I'll keep an eye on mine and report back if I see any changes.

Sponsored

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
My Jeep has been sputtering first thing in the morning for the last few weeks..(Not cold out ..70+ degrees)...The other day it practically stalled out....It seems much better during the day.
There is a slight puff noise when I punch the throttle with slight lag all the time

MissyDre

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Turbo
Have a JLUR- auto. The stutter is not isolated to those with manual transmissions for sure. I haver or 11K miles and have been trying to isolate when it how it happens. So far only when accelerating at a slow pace. Punching it no problem. Also notice higher occurrence when its cold out. Not sure what the issue is. It was not initially this way...it crept in about 3K and has gotten worse.
Will be having it looked at next service...coming up soon.
I have the same issue with my 2019 JL and it’s driving me up the wall. I thought maybe it has something to do with the turbo engine, but from reading endlessly it appears all the JLs are having an acceleration issue from full stop to slow speeds. It’s worse when I’m in traffic and I find it dangerous trying to get my engine to respond quickly enough in highway merging traffic. I have driven JKs before, never felt something like the sluggish start of my JL. Oddly enough I notice it more at the 10mph mark up to 15mph. And I clearly can see the RPMS bouncing around and the studder/jerking sensation. On the highway in speeds above 30mph it is usually smooth and easy shifting but once in a while I push the pedal quickly and I can feel is shifting rather roughly. I have been driving it on manual in traffic. It’s a terrible problem. Makes me want to trade out of Jeep all together. Very disappointed, I will be taking the dealer tech on a drive with me the next time I go, since they couldn’t figure it out on my 1st visit.

MissyDre

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Turbo
At what speeds are you guys noticing your stutter? Mines always at 42-43 mph. Almost like it's on ice for a second. Just something weird with it holding steady speed at that speed. It's def wierd and irritating.
Mine is doing it at low speeds, 10mph -15mph 1/2 gears usually. But recently noticed in higher gears too.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Seems like everyone's problem is the same...misfire...but at different speeds and temps. Very strange. Anyway, just a report here: Last May, I had a driver's side mirror that melted and warped, in the sun. After waiting almost two months, they replaced it under warranty. When I picked up the vehicle, I noticed that my phone was no longer synched. I asked them what a mirror change would have to do with a possible reflash and they wouldn't answer. However, ever since then, the engine has run very noticeably better. Not my imagination. It's better. Not perfect, but much better. I think they had a fix and did a reflash, but kept it quiet because doing so would change fuel economy ratings. That's my best guess. All I know is that I can finally drive it without feeling like I'd like to pull off the road and set it on fire.....

Sponsored

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I am experiencing this at low speeds with my 2021 JLU. Was there ever a fix?

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I brought mine in to fix a mirror and after that, it ran much, MUCH better. That was in May, 2021. They didn't admit until much later that they reflashed the PCM. They probably didn't admit it because I had been telling them there was something wrong with the vehicle since day two of ownership and they pretty much had told me I had my head up my butt; there was nothing wrong. That was from the lead tech. If yours is an early 2021, there may be hope for you, with a reflash.
Sponsored