Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Im assuming ac would lower it as well?

weve noticed in winter our hybrid pacificas electric range drops. And not even that cold. In the 60s, maybe 50s
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
60% suburb, 40% highway
Due to the aerodynamics (or lack thereof), the electric doesn't really have an efficiency advantage over the ICE at constant high speed. So maybe go hybrid (or even e-save) on the highway and save the electric for surface streets where it will have the biggest advantage over the ICE.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
And this is just one of the reasons we are years away from all electric cars for most folk
Not exactly the Wrangler is just as bad on electric as it is on gas, it's just that people tend to notice it more because of the 22 mile range.

Like other gas vehicles, other PHEVs and EVs are significantly more efficient than the Wrangler

People who's round trips pushes towards the upper limit of the 4xe electric range, they will have some balancing to do.

When it comes to vehicles, it's all about having the right tool for the right job, for most people the Wrangler is rarely the right tool, for me it doesn't really matter since the vast majority of my driving is basically joy riding for fun, and in the past I never really paid much attention to mpg, until recently when the gas prices spiked, coupled with the Canadians saying they will keep jacking up the gas prices, both by carbon taxes and by also squeezing the supply.

Ideally I would be a lot better off driving a BEV over a PHEV, but that means no more Wrangler, so for me, I'll pay the penalty to keep driving a Wrangler.

People that maxes out a tank of gas regularly, and have limited charging options will be better off driving ICE, not exactly sure how many people that applies to, as it is I don't know many people that maxes out a tank of gas regularly. Talking to people I was surprised I was one of the few that went through a tank every few days.

Once you do less than 70 miles a day, and can plug into a regular 110v outlet, EV range is a non issue. Less than 150 miles + a level 2, after that some compromising, or stick to ICE.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
And this is just one of the reasons we are years away from all electric cars for most folk
I agree to an extent, electric makes the most sense as commuter vehicles. Even with my long commute (100 miles round trip) a ~200 range more than covers me even if the cold knocks down the range. But evs arent inexpensive enough to justify that yet for myself and I assume most people. Our 4xe is my daily and our family hauler. Most evs out their are in my opinion, are more like secondary vehicles, atleast in our price range. We will see what GM does in the next couple of years with their new offerings but until EVs drop from the high 40s to around 30k I cant see mass adoption.

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
I always set the driving mode to Electric for the 25 mile commute. During colder weather, would setting the driving mode to Hybrid be more efficient?
It would be more or less the same efficiency. Just be prepared that the Jeep is going to tell you when it needs to run the ice. It will override your choice and run the ICE if the draw is too great. Just let it do its thing at that point.

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
I always set the driving mode to Electric for the 25 mile commute. During colder weather, would setting the driving mode to Hybrid be more efficient?
"Efficient" gets really hard to calculate in that scenario. Presumably if you're using the heater, running in hybrid mode would result in overall more total range on a full battery/tank than running 100% electric and then running 100% engine afterward.

If your concern is which method costs less per mile to run, that entirely depends on how much range you get out of the battery on EV mode, your specific route, the amount you're paying for electricity (charging at home? Do you get discounts for off-peak hours? Is charging at work free?) and the cost of gas at the present.

If you have access to cheap charging at both ends of your commute I'd probably do EV mode as much as possible. If you're only charging once a day and the battery isn't lasting until you get back home then hybrid mode may the the best choice.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Not exactly the Wrangler is just as bad on electric as it is on gas, it's just that people tend to notice it more because of the 22 mile range.

Like other gas vehicles, other PHEVs and EVs are significantly more efficient than the Wrangler

People who's round trips pushes towards the upper limit of the 4xe electric range, they will have some balancing to do.

When it comes to vehicles, it's all about having the right tool for the right job, for most people the Wrangler is rarely the right tool, for me it doesn't really matter since the vast majority of my driving is basically joy riding for fun, and in the past I never really paid much attention to mpg, until recently when the gas prices spiked, coupled with the Canadians saying they will keep jacking up the gas prices, both by carbon taxes and by also squeezing the supply.

Ideally I would be a lot better off driving a BEV over a PHEV, but that means no more Wrangler, so for me, I'll pay the penalty to keep driving a Wrangler.

People that maxes out a tank of gas regularly, and have limited charging options will be better off driving ICE, not exactly sure how many people that applies to, as it is I don't know many people that maxes out a tank of gas regularly. Talking to people I was surprised I was one of the few that went through a tank every few days.

Once you do less than 70 miles a day, and can plug into a regular 110v outlet, EV range is a non issue. Less than 150 miles + a level 2, after that some compromising, or stick to ICE.
I am reminded of the Top Gear episode where they had a used Nissan Leaf and could only drive a handful of miles on a full charge. It's not so much charging the batteries as their durability. The fast chargers also kill the lifespan of the battery. I saw a repair bill for a Chevy Bolt...$25k for a new battery at 70k miles. That kind of math just doesn't work. Not to mention we don't have the raw materials or infrastructure for all electric commuters. It's noble to save the planet but it's not going to happen using batteries.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Oh boy let's have another debate on the electrification of automobiles. That will def help the OP make the most of the 4xe that he owns and drives daily.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I am reminded of the Top Gear episode where they had a used Nissan Leaf and could only drive a handful of miles on a full charge. It's not so much charging the batteries as their durability. The fast chargers also kill the lifespan of the battery. I saw a repair bill for a Chevy Bolt...$25k for a new battery at 70k miles. That kind of math just doesn't work. Not to mention we don't have the raw materials or infrastructure for all electric commuters. It's noble to save the planet but it's not going to happen using batteries.
All the manufacturers have extended warranty on batteries. That's a non issue. Lots of people get rid of cars after they blow a motor at 10 years because they don't want to drop the $$$ into a new motor. Batteries for an 8-10 year old car are the same. If you choose to keep a vehicle after warranty, that's on you when shit needs fixing. No different than any other vehicle.

It's noble to save the planet by doing even the smallest things. Period. Technology will catch up. I won't discount it just because I can't drive 1000kms and go offroading afterwards on battery.

The ICE has had over 100 years and is STILL being improved upon. Batteries are making leaps an bounds from even 10 years ago. There is a shit ton of technology to catch up but it's happening, whether or not people want it to.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Oh boy let's have another debate on the electrification of automobiles. That will def help the OP make the most of the 4xe that he owns and drives daily.
Op has had the issue resolved. They used electricity, that electricity comes from somewhere where it wasn't replaced. Lol.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I'm not in it to save the planet, I might get banned from this board if I give my views on the EV scam, most people I know that are the "save the planet types" live in oversized houses with 3+ gas guzzlers on their driveway.

I'm in it to save my pocket book, I'm no EV fan, but using expensive Canadian gas($4.50+USD a gallon) makes zero sense for me when I can drive for free to very cheap on electricity.

The end goal of EV isn't about moving people, it is about restricting people movements, and tightly controlling where, and when people can go, saving the planet is just a sexy emotional cover for the scheme.

OP
OP
ALT

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
This thread was not meant to debate the virtues of one fuel type vs another so let's get back on topic please.

On my commute home I did not turn on the heater and had several miles of electric range left, even though the temps were colder than my morning drive. Will do some more testing with/without the heater on and report back here.

I get free charging at work and home so my motivation is to use EV mode as much as possible.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm not in it to save the planet, I might get banned from this board if I give my views on the EV scam, most people I know that are the "save the planet types" live in oversized houses with 3+ gas guzzlers on their driveway.

I'm in it to save my pocket book, I'm no EV fan, but using expensive Canadian gas($4.50+USD a gallon) makes zero sense for me when I can drive for free to very cheap on electricity.

The end goal of EV isn't about moving people, it is about restricting people movements, and tightly controlling where, and when people can go, saving the planet is just a sexy emotional cover for the scheme.
Let me guess, big fan of the Convoy eh? Lol. Don't bother answering.
Sponsored