Electric mode off-road, +M- vs D.

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
We took our 4xe JLUR off-road for the first time at Peters Mill Run trail yesterday, and everything mostly worked as expected. The one bobble we encountered was, we saved the HV battery in e-save mode until we got to the trail and the group leader suggested we switch into manual shifting mode. In that mode for the first half of the trail we found we couldn't switch into Electric mode as we were planning to do. Halfway through the trail ride, I shifted it back to normal Drive mode (JL was in 4L for the ride.) When in Drive mode the Electric mode was immediately available and we completed the second half of the trail on battery. (Which was awesome! BTW.)

There was another 4xe on the trip with us and she had the same issue. Since we didn't figure it out until we left from the mid-point break, we could only update her at the end. She tried it for a moment there and it worked for her in D mode also.
Sponsored

Reactions: JAY

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Next time you may just want to try sticking in 4hi unless you need low, the electric torque is great.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
If you're in manual mode, and go into 4L, it will knock it out of Ev mode and turn the ICE on. That is how it is designed.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
If you're in manual mode, and go into 4L, it will knock it out of Ev mode and turn the ICE on. That is how it is designed.
I have been quite happy with leaving the transmission to shift itself in low range which allows electric mode to operate. The transmission shift points are very well programmed with way more compression breaking than any other auto tranny I've used...and electric power in low range is great!

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I don't think the 4xe would need to be in manual mode.
Sponsored