4xe electric mode performance?

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
I own one as of this past Saturday so I can weigh in on my 200ish miles so far. Mix of mostly highway back from the dealer (2 hours away) and some local rural roads and suburban areas where I live.

All electric mode: Absolutely silent. I mean SILENT. Plenty of power for freeway merging and driving up to at least 75mph. I didn't go any faster than that. It isn't a dual motor Tesla in all electric... but it has no problem getting up to speed in a time similar to most mainstream cars on the road. I was very satisfied with the all electric power.

Hybrid mode: ALWAYS prioritizes electric mode until you push the gas for more power. Don't have to FLOOR it to get both modes at once... just somewhat aggressive acceleration will do the trick. Very quick and quiet and smooth. Don't even notice the gas engine has come on hardly but you sure do notice the power. Quicker than any Wrangler I've driven by a good bit. Especially from like 35-70. Wow. Faster than my 2021 Hemi Ram.

FLOOR IT... hang on. First ten miles per hour are a turbo spool up the same as the 2.0 but with a lot more thrust because of the electric motor. Once you are spooled up and making full power... this thing is freaking WEIRD fast. Front lifts up a lot and it just MOVES! I'm not exaggerating when I say it is faster than a Jeep has a right to be. I haven't timed it but I have no doubt, with the right launch technique, that this thing will absolutely do a 6 second 0-60. Fast it certainly is.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored

BluJay

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Sahara
I own one as of this past Saturday so I can weigh in on my 200ish miles so far. Mix of mostly highway back from the dealer (2 hours away) and some local rural roads and suburban areas where I live.

All electric mode: Absolutely silent. I mean SILENT. Plenty of power for freeway merging and driving up to at least 75mph. I didn't go any faster than that. It isn't a dual motor Tesla in all electric... but it has no problem getting up to speed in a time similar to most mainstream cars on the road. I was very satisfied with the all electric power.

Hybrid mode: ALWAYS prioritizes electric mode until you push the gas for more power. Don't have to FLOOR it to get both modes at once... just somewhat aggressive acceleration will do the trick. Very quick and quiet and smooth. Don't even notice the gas engine has come on hardly but you sure do notice the power. Quicker than any Wrangler I've driven by a good bit. Especially from like 35-70. Wow. Faster than my 2021 Hemi Ram.

FLOOR IT... hang on. First ten miles per hour are a turbo spool up the same as the 2.0 but with a lot more thrust because of the electric motor. Once you are spooled up and making full power... this thing is freaking WEIRD fast. Front lifts up a lot and it just MOVES! I'm not exaggerating when I say it is faster than a Jeep has a right to be. I haven't timed it but I have no doubt, with the right launch technique, that this thing will absolutely do a 6 second 0-60. Fast it certainly is.

Hope that helps.
I have had mine for about a week now and I can confirm that this is a very accurate description of all modes!!

I have also noticed that my battery range is higher than EPA estimates and my Jeep regularly shows me a Max range of 28, and sometimes 30 miles per charge at 100% battery.

Also, the other day I reset my mpg estimator at the beginning of the day, ran around town literally all day and when I got home that evening I had averaged 47 mpg in hybrid mode. 😳

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
I have had mine for about a week now and I can confirm that this is a very accurate description of all modes!!

I have also noticed that my battery range is higher than EPA estimates and my Jeep regularly shows me a Max range of 28, and sometimes 30 miles per charge at 100% battery.

Also, the other day I reset my mpg estimator at the beginning of the day, ran around town literally all day and when I got home that evening I had averaged 47 mpg in hybrid mode. 😳
Same on the 28 mile range being shown. It has shown 22 and 28 on different days when max charged. Weather maybe?

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
All electric mode: Absolutely silent. I mean SILENT.
we’re you able to disable pedestrian alert somehow? In EV mode mine sounds like nails on a chalkboard or scraping metal up to 20 mph. I wish it was silent. Or at least made a noise that was more pleasant.

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
In the video below Jeep Engineer talks about using 4 auto for the fastest acceleration.

Sponsored

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
we’re you able to disable pedestrian alert somehow? In EV mode mine sounds like nails on a chalkboard or scraping metal up to 20 mph. I wish it was silent. Or at least made a noise that was more pleasant.
Mine makes a low hum kind of noise but nothing noticeable. Wonder if there is something wrong with yours.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Short answer: it is not going to drive like a Tesla if that is what you are looking for.

For now, 4xe is not a full BEV, also the electric motor can't magically solve the boxy aerodynamic of Wrangler.

My prediction is once a full BEV version of Wrangler come out, it is gonna accelerate like a upper mid-tier sports car.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Short answer: it is not going to drive like a Tesla if that is what you are looking for.

For now, 4xe is not a full BEV, also the electric motor can't magically solve the boxy aerodynamic of Wrangler.

My prediction is once a full BEV version of Wrangler come out, it is gonna accelerate like a upper mid-tier sports car.
Agree.
The truth is a PHEV isn't really a great driving experience. They do have an advantage in Wide Open Throttle situations but that is really the only time they are better than a full ICE or full BEV. The main benefit of owning a PHEV is they introduce us to the benefits of driving electric while taking range anxiety out of the equation. Range anxiety is really the major barrier with EV adoption at the moment. Price parity is pretty much gone and range anxiety goes away when you drive your BEV for a while.

Many of us have owned a PHEV before we went full BEV. It is a stepping stone to going full electric. As soon as Wrangler BEV comes out then my 4xe will become someone else's baby. And the cycle continues... :)

Another benefit for manufacturers with producing PHEV is they fast track the development curve for system integration and software programming and they can produce more vehicles compared to full BEV versions. This is because battery manufacturing capacity is still the limiting factor with electric vehicle production.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Agree.
The truth is a PHEV isn't really a great driving experience. They do have an advantage in Wide Open Throttle situations but that is really the only time they are better than a full ICE or full BEV. The main benefit of owning a PHEV is they introduce us to the benefits of driving electric while taking range anxiety out of the equation. Range anxiety is really the major barrier with EV adoption at the moment. Price parity is pretty much gone and range anxiety goes away when you drive your BEV for a while.

Many of us have owned a PHEV before we went full BEV. It is a stepping stone to going full electric. As soon as Wrangler BEV comes out then my 4xe will become someone else's baby. And the cycle continues... :)

Another benefit for manufacturers with producing PHEV is they fast track the development curve for system integration and software programming and they can produce more vehicles compared to full BEV versions. This is because battery manufacturing capacity is still the limiting factor with electric vehicle production.
Yes, my next car is either a Cybertruck or a BEV Wrangler. The issue is FCA has never produced a full battery EV yet, unlike Ford (Mach-e) or GM (Bolt and upcoming Hummer), so there going to be some learning curves.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Yes, my next car is either a Cybertruck or a BEV Wrangler. The issue is FCA has never produced a full battery EV yet, unlike Ford (Mach-e) or GM (Bolt and upcoming Hummer), so there going to be some learning curves.
Yeah. There are old habits to break and new things to learn in order to make an electric vehicle. Ford worked heavily with Magna International to design and build the Focus Electric BEV (2012-2018) and Jaguar did the same with the iPace BEV. With that experience they were able to venture forth on their own and produce other models.

aretemorals

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I have been driving my Rubicon 4xe around town in EV mode most of the time since I got it. The driving experience has been great! Get up to speed real quick--the acceleration under EV mode is definitely more than enough for around town driving. I also got on the highway a few times in pure EV mode and honestly it did not disappoint at all. It also got up to speed quickly without the engine kicked on, even though I pressed the throttle pretty hard, which was to my surprise.

But FYI I have been pretty much driving an empty vehicle (with one passenger and a few light items). Would be curious to see how it performs in EV mode when the vehicle carries more stuff.
Sponsored