4xe electric mode performance?

Cysco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU, 2006 911 50th Anniversary
Can someone give me some idea what the driving experience is going to be like on electric only mode? Not mileage, but acceleration, top speed and over all driving experience? (I’m new to EVs) I’m concerned that using only the 134hp motor will be a horrible driving experience. I’m not expecting Tesla performance, but I’m not sure I’d be ok driving EV mode daily if the thing is painfully slow. I like the idea of an electric commute, but not sure I could handle it if I’m the slowest thing on the road.

So what say ye? Is EV only mode going to suck if you’re used to driving a “normal” 2.0 JLRU ever day?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
cmon now, nobody ever buys a wrangler for it's ev mode...

I think more importantly, we have a priority issue here.

giraffemode

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sahara, '20 JTR Gator, '21 JLUR4xe Nacho
Occupation
Project Manager
Not that anyone"s buying a Wrangler for speed.... But I expect the 4xe in electric mode will accelerate better than the 3.6. Electric motors have instant high torque output. I've never been disappointed in the pedal response when I've been behind the wheel of an EV.

Caveat: taking that acceleration for granted will eat into your range.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I thought that the electric mode in the E-Selec gives you access for full torque and horsepower. the 375hp and 470 ft lbs. I know i dont know much. I honestly think that the 4xe has a lot of potential. All electric commute would be great. I owned a Prius when i was 16 and boy did that thing boogie. Instant power, 0-60 wasnt turbo fast, it wasnt much to be proud of, but i sure never had trouble taking over a lane or getting up to speed. I own the 2.0L right now. If i could afford it I’d get the 4xe. Electric will never feel like a gas engine. Since you have 3 modes to choose from (hybrid, E-save, and electric) if you feel that you are going too slow, or you miss having gas burning, you can throw it in hybrid and get the best of both worlds. I mean you only get like 25 all electric miles. It’s barely an EV, in my opinion, I’d say its a hybrid with an electric mode

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
This is an excellent question, one that I'm really curious about too. I'll give you my speculation based on my experience with a Volvo XC90 PHEV, a Tesla and a Jeep JK 3.6...

The Volvo XC90 PHEV weighs almost exactly the same as the Jeep 4xe, and has less EV only horsepower (87 hp 0-60 ~17 seconds); . The Tesla has 670 hp, also about the same weight (0-60 ~2.5 seconds). So the 4xe is in EV only mode is going to drive a much more closely to the Volvo than the Tesla, though a bit faster. If I had to guess, I think the 4xe could probably do 0-60 in EV mode in about 13 seconds.

Typically the way the PHEVs work, the accelerator pedal has a notch towards the end of the travel, and if you push past that notch, it will engage the gas engine almost instantly to give you extra power. So when you're in EV mode, and the EV motor isn't giving you enough power, if you push hard enough, it will kick in the gas engine. Curious to see if Jeep has engineered it in a similar way.

Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Typically the way the PHEVs work, the accelerator pedal has a notch towards the end of the travel, and if you push past that notch, it will engage the gas engine almost instantly to give you extra power. So when you're in EV mode, and the EV motor isn't giving you enough power, if you push hard enough, it will kick in the gas engine. Curious to see if Jeep has engineered it in a similar way.
This is exactly what I don't get = you're cruising along on battery alone, then you need to accelerate as fast as possible. The system starts the ICE and immediately romps on the throttle to give you full power? That can't be good for the longevity of that engine.

Unbelievable this vehicle doesn't have multiple 3rd-party reviews all over the internet covering the product & how it performs while finished units are sitting in a hold lot ready to be shipped.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If the ICE functioned only as a generator, not propulsion, as Jeep envisioned way back in 2008, that would give you full time electric, with no range " anxiety ". The ICE is feeding the electric propulsion motor until you reach a charging station. Way back, 2008, a small diesel was going to be the on board charging system. Bankruptcy and Cerebus destroyed those plans

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
This is exactly what I don't get = you're cruising along on battery alone, then you need to accelerate as fast as possible. The system starts the ICE and immediately romps on the throttle to give you full power? That can't be good for the longevity of that engine.

Unbelievable this vehicle doesn't have multiple 3rd-party reviews all over the internet covering the product & how it performs while finished units are sitting in a hold lot ready to be shipped.
Yea, I would agree, it can't be very good for the engine. That said, in my experience with my Volvo PHEV - according to my Volvo app, 75% of my miles are done on EV alone - so, when I have 100K miles on my car, I'll only have 25,000 miles on the engine - that usage pattern probably more than offsets the longevity issues created by the rare instance when the gas engine has to go from cold to full power quickly.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Have same question, 90% of my daily use will be under 25 miles. As gas as I know, only one person on the forum has actually driven one. There is a thread somewhere, maybe he could chime in...from the video I watched with the head engineer he had no problem achieving highway speeds using all electric mode...

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Have same question, 90% of my daily use will be under 25 miles. As gas as I know, only one person on the forum has actually driven one. There is a thread somewhere, maybe he could chime in...from the video I watched with the head engineer he had no problem achieving highway speeds using all electric mode...
Everyone has a different "idea" of what achieving highway speeds with no problem means. It is why it is impossible to please everyone.

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Can someone give me some idea what the driving experience is going to be like on electric only mode? Not mileage, but acceleration, top speed and over all driving experience? (I’m new to EVs) I’m concerned that using only the 134hp motor will be a horrible driving experience. I’m not expecting Tesla performance, but I’m not sure I’d be ok driving EV mode daily if the thing is painfully slow. I like the idea of an electric commute, but not sure I could handle it if I’m the slowest thing on the road.

So what say ye? Is EV only mode going to suck if you’re used to driving a “normal” 2.0 JLRU ever day?
It might only be 134 hp but it's also 220 ft lb tq. Which is almost the equivalent of the gas engines it self.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
It is all about torque as that is what wranglers need to get up and go.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I took a 30 mile test drive today in a 4xe Sahara. I don't try to out run everyone stop light to stop light, but I don't drive slow either. I was surprised how often the gas engine kicked in even in electric only. On the interstate the transmission seemed to down shift to keep it in electric mode then the gas kicked in and it upshifted. Then the gas shut off and it down shifted and started all over again. In Hybrid mode it was much smoother but still noticed some of the same. This was only a short test drive so maybe it gets better with use.
Sponsored