Sponsored

Hybrid vs electric mode - what's the real difference

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
May be a dumb question, but I'd still like to ask.

The dealership gave me what I consider a BS answer essentially reading the words on the mode buttons.

I'm assuming in hybrid the ICE kicks in sooner than in electric. However, while driving I can't tell much of a difference at all. If I accelerate hard in electric, the ICE comes on. Maybe in hybrid the ICE comes on sooner under hard acceleration, but again it's hard for me to tell the difference. Maybe it's due to our terrain.

Please provide some free education!
Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
You are correct. The difference is the bias toward electric vs ICE. Same with eSave (bias toward ICE), though with eSave, there's an option in the menu to set eSave between "save" and "charge" mode for the batteries.

Honestly, I haven't seen much of a difference either and don't use Electric mode at all.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
He has many great videos.

I use electric if I know I'm not going to eat up my e range before recharge. Otherwise, keeping in hybrid is always the best option.

Esave can only keep the battery topped at 95, so it will run electric to 94/95 percent before kicking in.

Esave with charge isn't really a good idea to use and doesn't work that well either. Unless you want to get to a camp site to have a little extra for an inverter. Jeep (unlike Ford) didn't give us one.
Sponsored