First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Given the potential fuel pump issues, economizing on filter changes may not be the best way to go. I'm a 10,000-miler. I'd do it more often, but I tend to get drenched with the stinky stuff. :)
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
and since we're touching on the note of Fuel Pump Issues, it might be worth re-mentioning here for the benefit of anyone who doesn't already know that it's probably a really good idea to be careful to re-prime the system after changing the FF and before starting it up to make sure we get any air out of the lines.
OP describes the routine on the early pages.

Given the potential fuel pump issues, economizing on filter changes may not be the best way to go. I'm a 10,000-miler. I'd do it more often, but I tend to get drenched with the stinky stuff. :)

Z06

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JLU diesel
Occupation
Retired
Hey Everyone,

Just looking around to see if there are any strong opinions about replacing the diesel fuel filter sooner than the 36k mi / 3 year interval that I believe is the recommended maintenance interval.

Our JLURD has 3,500 miles and is about 2-1/2 years old. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance; but, I'm also a high ranking official in the "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is" club.

My thought is to wait until closer to fall to do the replacement.

Thanks for any opinions.

Jeff
I believe it’s 30,000 miles or 36 months. However, with the super low miles you are running the thing I would worry about is “Microbes, including mold, fungus, and bacteria, can get inside your diesel fuel tank and grow, creating biomass, which is the technical term for the sludge that you might think is algae.” Especially if you live where it’s warm or hot. This stuff can easily plug a filter and could pass through an extended use filter ( because it will collect and grow in the filter) to your pump, fuel rails and injectors. EXPENSIVE SHIT. For the price of a filter and simplicity of changing it at least every two years or annually if you see any signs of contamination I would recommend not waiting too long.

Last edited:

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I believe it’s 30,000 miles or 36 months. However, with the super low miles you are running the thing I would worry about is “Microbes, including mold, fungus, and bacteria, can get inside your diesel fuel tank and grow, creating biomass, which is the technical term for the sludge that you might think is algae.” Especially if you live where it’s warm or hot. This stuff can easily plug a filter and could pass through an extended use filter ( because it will collect and grow in the filter) to your pump, fuel rails and injectors. EXPENSIVE SHIT. For the price of a filter and simplicity of changing it at least every two years or annually if you see any signs of contamination I would recommend not waiting too long.
While the majority of your statements are valid points, I would strongly recommend reaching out to FCA and requesting the "diesel supplemental owners manual." It clearly spells out every 20,000 miles. The use of biodiesel calls out for more frequent changes. With the fuel filter recall and no hope in sight for remedy I change mine every 10,000 miles. Strongly recommend buying the filter yourself ( @ dieselfiltersonline )and installing it yourself. There's several informative how to videos on YouTube. Go to your local AutoZone, Pep Boys Etc. Get yourself a 28 mm socket. It's a rare size most don't have it in there toolbox. You will definitely need it. This could also be used on your oil filter cap.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
and since we're touching on the note of Fuel Pump Issues, it might be worth re-mentioning here for the benefit of anyone who doesn't already know that it's probably a really good idea to be careful to re-prime the system after changing the FF and before starting it up to make sure we get any air out of the lines.
OP describes the routine on the early pages.
IMO that is where a good portion of the fuel pump issues arise.

Sponsored

montanan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jl
After changing the fuel filer I open the water drain plug and have my wife cycle the ignition. I hear all the air come out then close it. Then have her cycle the ignition over and over until I no longer hear air flowing through the lines. I tend to overdo things but it makes me feel better.

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
i have replaced mine twice since i bought it, im at 11k miles ,

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
After changing the fuel filer I open the water drain plug and have my wife cycle the ignition. I hear all the air come out then close it. Then have her cycle the ignition over and over until I no longer hear air flowing through the lines. I tend to overdo things but it makes me feel better.
Interesting. Last time I changed mine I printed it 4 times and it still took 3 attempts after that to fire.

I'll have to try venting it next time per your process.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Interesting. Last time I changed mine I printed it 4 times and it still took 3 attempts after that to fire.

I'll have to try venting it next time per your process.
The book says prime it 3 times. That has pretty much worked for me. But it didn't necessarily catch right away every time I have changed the filter. I may bump that up to 4 or 5 times next time I do it.
Sponsored