Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Not possible.
I am curious as to why this would not work, care to elaborate? JScan has Ignition Key Programming for the RF Hub working, so i don't know why a fob cannot be programmed to more than one vehicle.
Gregj
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Got proximity locks? If so, I wonder if you could try taking the RFID chip out of a fob and see if it unlocks the door. Not a solution if you want to start the engine...but wondering.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
There's plenty of threads on here about aftermarket fobs and fob covers, mostly people wanting to make the huge factory fobs a little smaller, right?

But does anyone else have to deal with double the huge fobs taking up your whole pocket?

My wife and I bought 2 JL's in May 2020, so we have a total of four of these mega fobs!

The smaller fob cases are great, but how awesome would it be if they could make fobs for 2 vehicles? Not even both jeeps, but could be programmed for just about any make, right?
@Ex-Nuke

You could take two matching Threedom Model M fobs and fasten them back to back. :idea:

Surprisingly, the combo like that, ends up not being all that big... big, in comparison to carrying two stock fobs...
Jeep Wrangler JL Dual key fob??? Travel Keyfob

OP
OP

Ex-Nuke

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Navy Vet 9
I am curious as to why this would not work, care to elaborate? JScan has Ignition Key Programming for the RF Hub working, so i don't know why a fob cannot be programmed to more than one vehicle.
Gregj
From the way I understand these things to work, when you get a new fob it's frequency and ID are set and you're basically programming your vehicle to respond to it. Not vice versa. So there's probably some procedural compliance thing that prevents dealers from programming the vehicles to respond to just any fob. Would be too close to actual positive customer service.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got proximity locks? If so, I wonder if you could try taking the RFID chip out of a fob and see if it unlocks the door. Not a solution if you want to start the engine...but wondering.
@mnjeeper

You can start any JL or JT with just the RFID chip and drive that vehicle without problem. (You do not need the fob's circuit board and battery)

You cannot enter/open a JL/JT that has Proximity if, if you are not carrying a fob with a circuit board and a battery. You'd need a key.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the way I understand these things to work, when you get a new fob it's frequency and ID are set and you're basically programming your vehicle to respond to it. Not vice versa. So there's probably some procedural compliance thing that prevents dealers from programming the vehicles to respond to just any fob. Would be too close to actual positive customer service.
I know you can program at least 4 fob's to the Jeep, the Installation Instructions for the Mopar Remote start describes the process, so why can't a fob be programmed to more than one vehicle? Is it a rolling code like in the old aftermarket remote kits?

I may have to give it a try.
Gregj

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
@mnjeeper

You can start any JL or JT with just the RFID chip and drive that vehicle without problem. (You do not need the fob's circuit board and battery)

You cannot enter/open a JL/JT that has Proximity if, if you are not carrying a fob with a circuit board and a battery. You'd need a key.

Perfect. Opposite of what I was thinking, but better. OP can remove the key from the fob and find a way to secure the RFID chip to it.

Then, in a few weeks we can answer a thread of "where do I get a new RFID chip?" :)

Or...buy the threedom piece to put the key on a keychain and put the second RFID inside the fob using electrical tape to hold it somewhere. That actually might work.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 Do you care to elaborate as to why it wont work?
Gregj
@Gregj

I learned long ago to never say never..... 8-)

I have a dealer tech friend of mine that has tried but found it a no go. If I remember correctly he tried with both JSCAN and the WiTech ll at the dealership where he works.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Gregj

I learned long ago to never say never..... 8-)

I have a dealer tech friend of mine that has tried but found it a no go. If I remember correctly he tried with both JSCAN and the WiTechll at the dealership where he works.

See now this is useful information, merely LOL'ing at a post is not.
Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know the #'s. Wonder if there's enough "more than 1 JL household owners" to justify creation of aftermarket fobs that hold the guts of more than one OEM fob....
🙋‍♂️
We are a two Jeep household and I would find this Very useful!
Gregj

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
Perfect. Opposite of what I was thinking, but better. OP can remove the key from the fob and find a way to secure the RFID chip to it.

Then, in a few weeks we can answer a thread of "where do I get a new RFID chip?" :)

Or...buy the threedom piece to put the key on a keychain and put the second RFID inside the fob using electrical tape to hold it somewhere. That actually might work.
-And can we implant the chips under our skin?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-And can we implant the chips under our skin?
@One_off

Actually is is possible now... theoretically you could take the JL/JT RFID chip and place it under skin say on your thumb lets say.... probably biggest issue with this is that the size of the JL/JT, RFID chip is a bit big.. and you would take awhile to get used to that foreign body under there.... but to insert that chip is doable.. For the record the RFID chip is a sealed chip...

I'd be willing to bet there is someone out there already with the chip inserted... The deed of doing the insertion would be quite easy... easy for anyone that knows how to suture...

I predict that in the not to distant future you will see chip implants for this being the norm...

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That RFID chip only allows you to start the Jeep, you would still need the key/fob to lock/unlock the doors.
Gregj

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That RFID chip only allows you to start the Jeep, you would still need the key/fob to lock/unlock the doors.
Gregj
Yup.... perhaps someday, you will touch a small pad on the exterior door with your finger that has ae chip in it and the vehicle will unlock... then you use that same finger with chip to start the vehicle.

I believe we will see this or similar... As a 72 yo guy, I have seem lots of would you believe it things technology wise over the last so many years...
Sponsored