Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So awesome! Glad to see all this stuff worked out well for you! How are you liking that fox stabilizer? My factory stabilizer isn’t liking all that extra weight it has now 🤣
Haha the fox stabilizer is great. Got it last year for 140 bucks lol at 4wp they had a listing error. I reccomend an ats one i like adjusting it
Sponsored

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Just wanted to check in with @Moto_21 and see how your liking the Dstrac axle still?

I might have missed it, but looks like the front locker you have is some kind of air locker? Seems like two air lines running to it, does it allow the control of locking each axle separately?

Looks like they also offer some kind of e-locker as well, I wonder if it wires up to factory switches. I really wish they had more details on their website. I do see they now/also offer the RPM steering for it.

These have peaked my interest being beefier D70, hi and low pinion options, more gear choices, and upgrades to 40 spline axles for about $15K.

If the Florida warehouse is well stocked with parts and can be had quickly, this becomes even higher on my list.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to check in with @Moto_21 and see how your liking the Dstrac axle still?

I might have missed it, but looks like the front locker you have is some kind of air locker? Seems like two air lines running to it, does it allow the control of locking each axle separately?

Looks like they also offer some kind of e-locker as well, I wonder if it wires up to factory switches. I really wish they had more details on their website. I do see they now/also offer the RPM steering for it.

These have peaked my interest being beefier D70, hi and low pinion options, more gear choices, and upgrades to 40 spline axles for about $15K.

If the Florida warehouse is well stocked with parts and can be had quickly, this becomes even higher on my list.
Axles been good, since i had one of the first ones without the rpm steering they went ahead and sent me the upgraded rpm steering and a new knuckle to fit it.

ive had minor issues with the c clip on the outter shafts and i had a locking hub break, but thats one of the only parts they outsource and they started testing everyone that goes through the factory before they put it on, but he overnighted me new ones and me new axle shafts made with the proper c clip depth. I just didnt put them in. I think the c clips popping off rubbed the hub enough to break it honestly. But no biggie.

the airlocker only has 1 line the other line is the diff vent. Its been solid everything works good. Its been a solid axle and the customer service is really top notch.

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thanks @Moto_21 !!

Sounds like only some minor issues to me really, anything can happen to anyone's axle out there but it's the customer service that really makes the deal in the end for me, and sounds like they have been on top of it for you. The hubs was the one thing I had not heard of before, seems like most are using the Warn or Yukon stuff. I am also looking at Fusion, but don't know where I will end up yet.

Thanks for your honest feedback.

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @Moto_21 !!

Sounds like only some minor issues to me really, anything can happen to anyone's axle out there but it's the customer service that really makes the deal in the end for me, and sounds like they have been on top of it for you. The hubs was the one thing I had not heard of before, seems like most are using the Warn or Yukon stuff. I am also looking at Fusion, but don't know where I will end up yet.

Thanks for your honest feedback.
No prob. I guess avm hubs are super big in the european and south american offroad scene, but i never heard of them either. They are a very simple hub.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
@Moto_21 how tall is your rig? I need to get mine down to 7 feet to ship between Hawaii and the mainland. I might have to get smaller wheels to ship it.

I was interested in their portals but @DOOKEY had me check if I could run them on the highway. Right now you can't. I'm building a dedicated off road rig but I do need some highway driving.

Now I'm looking hard at the DS Ultra 70 Front Axle JL 40-Spline HP, and a 70 in the rear, LP. It's either that or Elite™ ProRock XD60®/80 Axle-Set for Jeep JL
The DSTRAC 70 is stronger in the front and the XD80 is way over kill for the rear. Dynatrac is 12-18 weeks out right now and it might get worse.

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
@Moto_21 how tall is your rig? I need to get mine down to 7 feet to ship between Hawaii and the mainland. I might have to get smaller wheels to ship it.

I was interested in their portals but @DOOKEY had me check if I could run them on the highway. Right now you can't. I'm building a dedicated off road rig but I do need some highway driving.

Now I'm looking hard at the DS Ultra 70 Front Axle JL 40-Spline HP, and a 70 in the rear, LP. It's either that or Elite™ ProRock XD60®/80 Axle-Set for Jeep JL
The DSTRAC 70 is stronger in the front and the XD80 is way over kill for the rear. Dynatrac is 12-18 weeks out right now and it might get worse.
Dont know havent measured it, probably somehwere in the mid 80 inches. Bottom of the rubi rock rail is 27” from the ground i know that

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Portals are really cool but have issues with longevity at higher speeds.

AMG tried to make them livable on the street in the G-wagons but not very much success. From what I understand that has been 100% disaster and pulled as an "orderable" option.

Also check with Currie - they had options as well and certainly a well known name in axles.

I was researching axles when I had my 2nd factory front failure; but went the RCV route and so far happy. But nowhere near the machine you are considering.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Portals are really cool but have issues with longevity at higher speeds.

AMG tried to make them livable on the street in the G-wagons but not very much success. From what I understand that has been 100% disaster and pulled as an "orderable" option.

Also check with Currie - they had options as well and certainly a well known name in axles.

I was researching axles when I had my 2nd factory front failure; but went the RCV route and so far happy. But nowhere near the machine you are considering.
Portals break at slow speeds as well. It's another gear set that adds complexity and weakness. My buddy has broken several portal units while crawling in his buggy. They are the weakest link in his setup.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Portals break at slow speeds as well. It's another gear set that adds complexity and weakness. My buddy has broken several portal units while crawling in his buggy. They are the weakest link in his setup.
More complexity more problems ;)

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Portals break at slow speeds as well. My buddy has broken several portal units while crawling in his buggy. They are the weakest link in his setup.
He's got the wrong portals. The DS Ultra 70 Portal Competition Rear Axle JL would be the strongest driveline link on JLUR with 42's. And you'd have the equivalent of a JLUR on 50's.

. It's another gear set that adds complexity and weakness.
Complexity bad like fuel injection over carb. Bad like Transfer case vs one axle pulling. Carburetors suck compared to fuel injection at high altitude, high pitch and roll rates, fuel economy. Locking differentials add complexity, but they're worth it (maybe? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/)

Getting the equivalent of an 8" taller tire by going with portals is worth the added complexity. The only problem with portals right now is they're not made for highway speeds. Even though I'm building a dedicated crawler, I won't be going with portals because:

• I need some highway driving
  • I don't want to pay a shop to figure out something new and radically different.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
He's got the wrong portals. The DS Ultra 70 Portal Competition Rear Axle JL would be the strongest driveline link on JLUR with 42's. And you'd have the equivalent of a JLUR on 50's.

Complexity bad like fuel injection over carb. Bad like Transfer case vs one axle pulling. Carburetors suck compared to fuel injection at high altitude, high pitch and roll rates, fuel economy. Locking differentials add complexity, but they're worth it (maybe? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/)

Getting the equivalent of an 8" taller tire by going with portals is worth the added complexity. The only problem with portals right now is they're not made for highway speeds. Even though I'm building a dedicated crawler, I won't be going with portals because:

• I need some highway driving
  • I don't want to pay a shop to figure out something new and radically different.
He didn't break axle shafts or housings, he broke portal gears. When you run 42" stickies you'll eventually find the weak link.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link