Doors without the bolts

Par-T-Rex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander
I‘ve been driving my JK for 14 years without the nuts. No problems with the doors. I think because they’re so heavy, they stay in place just fine with no bending. At some point I put the guides on the upper hinge, but not the lower.
One of the first things I did with my JL was take off the nuts and I’ll never put them back on.
Sponsored

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I use the guides/pins and they're probably the best cheap thing I've done to my JLR. Taking doors on/off is so much nicer with them.

Voodonala bolts

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Take the door pin nuts off and throw them away. That's what I've done with every Wrangler I've had doors off of over the past 15+ years.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had the door hinge bolts installed on our JLUR since June 2018. I do park in a garage every night. If I didn’t, I would think twice about it. Only because I’ve had the doors stolen off of my TJ before when it was parked in the driveway.

I do always reinstall the door check bolts after going no doors because it’s a nice feature that was added to the JLs, especially if you have kids.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
Ahh ok. My hinges are LineX'd so not a concern about that but seems like a good idea. I may grab another set off Amazon. Thanks.
🤔 LineX'd the hinge... got a picture? Did you just do the hinge on the door, the side connected to the body, or both?

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I took them out and do not plan to put them back in.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
You will be fine without them. CJ's and older didn't have a nut for the door pins and the pins were smaller than the JL. My guess is that the nuts are there as a safety feature for door retention during an accident.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I‘ve been driving my JK for 14 years without the nuts. No problems with the doors. I think because they’re so heavy, they stay in place just fine with no bending. At some point I put the guides on the upper hinge, but not the lower.
One of the first things I did with my JL was take off the nuts and I’ll never put them back on.
I was about to write exactly the same thing.
Take them out and leave them out. Can't lift when the door is closed.

Also, putting on a top pin guide only allows you to line up the top hinge first, install it a quarter inch, then line up and install the lower pin.

With no guides or with 2 guides you have to line up the pretty much at the same time.

fourseasons1621

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16JK 21JLR 20FXLRS 21PanAmerica
Alignment pins on my full doors and don't care for the nuts, but with the half doors I have to use the nuts because when removing the upper portion the doors wants to pull off the hinges. Slightly added Security with the nuts on the half doors too.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The only reason those nuts are there is to prevent theft. Back in the days of the CJs through the Tjs, full doors would get stolen often as they were an expensive option.

The only doors I would be concerned about getting stolen these days are factory half doors. Which is funny, because with Yjs and Tjs, you couldn't hardly give them away.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
🤔 LineX'd the hinge... got a picture? Did you just do the hinge on the door, the side connected to the body, or both?
I took all 16 pieces off and got them colour matched LineX. I did it myself on my JK in black with bedliner but I like the durability of LineX more.
Jeep Wrangler JL Doors without the bolts 20220603_172721

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I just grease the holes, put the doors back on and put them back on, if this is too much of a challenge for me I should probably work out more. Then again how did I get the doors back on then ? 🤔
I can't imagine someone taking doors on and off who can't operate a torx socket, then again how did they get them off the first time then ? 🥴
Hmmm... lifting the fu$%#@ng doors on and off twice a year and storing them vs putting in a couple bolts.... All that work to get lazy at the very last second seems odd
Do what you want, unsure why you would need a guide pin for such a simple job and would forgo securing the doors to use them but... to each his own

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Don't see how that could cause rust. Think a lot of people run without bothering to put the bolts back, I left mine out all last winter. You could always leave them out when the weather is good and put them back before cool temps and road salt arrive.
This is my approach, they come out in the spring, and go back in late fall, just to try to keep a little winter crud out of the hinges. Might be placebo but I feel better about it.
Sponsored