Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
TL;DR: Clusterf*cks know no boundaries.

The OP's weekend experience illustrates pretty well why I refuse to participate in group motorcycle rides. There's simply too broad a distribution of riding skills and personalities. More to the point, the penalty for mistakes or rudeness is demonstrably worse than what the toughest Jeep trail could ever impose.

It's unfortunate that the aspiring idiot Vlogger wasn't taken to task sooner for his choices. Let it be a reminder for us to stay frosty at all times and in all places.

P.S. -- We're a pretty good bunch of folks here in PA. :) Said idiot is an outlier.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Hello all, was just sitting this afternoon and thinking about a situation we had this past weekend at the Jeep Safari.

My son and I went down on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, the last day of the event, we were signed up to run "Fins n' Things", a Badge of Honor trail.

It quickly became apparent that many of the people on this particular trail group were newbies. Most had never been to Jeep Safari (myself included), several had never even been Offroad before. As we started rolling, people were on the CB's asking if they should be in 4LO, or 4Hi, and if so, how to get the jeep into 4lo and 4hi. No big deal, we all start somewhere.

Anyway, as we're lined up to leave from the air-down spot, we are told to go out in the order that we were lined up in while airing down. I'm near the back of the first "column" of jeeps, and we're pulling out when the guy at the front of the second column decides he doesn't want to wait, he darts out, cutting me in line, and nearly clips my front end as he cuts me off. I figure that maybe he didn't hear the trail leader's instructions (several had no Com's for this run).

Well when we make a stop part way in, he gets out to shoot the breeze with everyone. Seems like a nice enough guy, maybe a little odd, but nice enough. He's from PA, and is on a several week long road trip out west. He even sent me his contact info and asked me to send some footage my son had captured of him going down an obstacle just in front of me. Apparently he's a budding travel blogger/ YouTube Vlogger and he'd like the footage for his trail report.

Well it quickly becomes apparent that we're not making good time as a group. We decide to split into a faster and slower group. He and I both decide to go in the faster group, and again, he cuts me off as we're leaving.

Several people in the faster group need to hit the road to make it home on time, and so we're trying to sort of hustle. My son and I plan to ride an MTB trail before heading home, and we see the window to do that rapidly closing, we're now in a bit of a hurry too.

Well the group leader would take all major obstacles first; then pull her jeep up a ways from the obstacle, and people would do the obstacle, then pull in behind her while she spotted those that needed spotting, then she'd run back up to her Jeep, climb in, and we'd continue on.

This guy decides at every single obstacle, that he needs to get out, video/photograph everyone coming up the trail. But when she heads back to take us further down the trail from one particular obstacle, he doesn't want to get back in his friggin' jeep. The slower group is just down the trail, and he wants to photo them too. Several of us shout to him that we're moving, but he just keeps snapping photos.

Eventually I just go around him, he sees me do this, and starts sprinting back to his Jeep. The person behind me waits and lets him go, and now instead of being just in-front, he's just behind me. This seems to really bug him.

A little further down the trail, there's an unsanctioned "short cut" which he uses to break ahead. He waits for everyone else to pass, until I'm going by, at which point he darts out in front of me again. I don't know if he was pissed that I pulled around him, or maybe he's really concerned that he was supposed to maintain his spot in line.

Well we come up on a section of trail with a super steep climb. There are two options, a harder and a slightly less hard line. Trail leader comes over the CB and tells everyone that we're going to take the easier of the two lines. Apparently a year or two earlier, she was leading a group; and someone let their teenage daughter try the more difficult line, she lost her nerve and nearly rolled. Leader's son was a mid-gunner (as a teen), and tried jumping on the rock slider to weigh the jeep down, and he nearly gets thrown over the top. Jeep didn't roll, but she now calls the obstacle "Jamie's Casket", and she's obviously still shook up over seeing her teenage son nearly killed. Not only does she say we're taking the easier line, but she kindly requests nobody try the other one.

Well we all respect her request except for one driver. You guessed it...that guy. And now I can see he has a CB strapped to his A-pillar grab handle, so he definitely heard the instruction not to take the line. But he doesn't care.

Well he doesn't make it, has to back down. He ends up holding us up a full 5-10 mins while the tail gunner helps spot him back down the hill in reverse and we wait for him to catch up. He again cuts a few people off and tries to regain his position on the trail before we finally finish.

Wanna bet if I'm going to send him that footage he wanted?

Don't be that guy...

post the footage or photos you have of "that guy"

sounds like a total doucher

Jeep Wrangler JL Don't be "that guy" 1650594845604

Last edited:

RemisPaPa

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-350
Occupation
Retired Marine, DoD Civilian
It is full of drunk rednecks, I just keep my distance from the jerks.
Not sure what one has to do with the other. A lot of fun can be had and/or witnessed with a bunch of Rednecks.
Jerks on the other hand happen to annoy most of us.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all, was just sitting this afternoon and thinking about a situation we had this past weekend at the Jeep Safari.

My son and I went down on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, the last day of the event, we were signed up to run "Fins n' Things", a Badge of Honor trail.

It quickly became apparent that many of the people on this particular trail group were newbies. Most had never been to Jeep Safari (myself included), several had never even been Offroad before. As we started rolling, people were on the CB's asking if they should be in 4LO, or 4Hi, and if so, how to get the jeep into 4lo and 4hi. No big deal, we all start somewhere.

Anyway, as we're lined up to leave from the air-down spot, we are told to go out in the order that we were lined up in while airing down. I'm near the back of the first "column" of jeeps, and we're pulling out when the guy at the front of the second column decides he doesn't want to wait, he darts out, cutting me in line, and nearly clips my front end as he cuts me off. I figure that maybe he didn't hear the trail leader's instructions (several had no Com's for this run).

Well when we make a stop part way in, he gets out to shoot the breeze with everyone. Seems like a nice enough guy, maybe a little odd, but nice enough. He's from PA, and is on a several week long road trip out west. He even sent me his contact info and asked me to send some footage my son had captured of him going down an obstacle just in front of me. Apparently he's a budding travel blogger/ YouTube Vlogger and he'd like the footage for his trail report.

Well it quickly becomes apparent that we're not making good time as a group. We decide to split into a faster and slower group. He and I both decide to go in the faster group, and again, he cuts me off as we're leaving.

Several people in the faster group need to hit the road to make it home on time, and so we're trying to sort of hustle. My son and I plan to ride an MTB trail before heading home, and we see the window to do that rapidly closing, we're now in a bit of a hurry too.

Well the group leader would take all major obstacles first; then pull her jeep up a ways from the obstacle, and people would do the obstacle, then pull in behind her while she spotted those that needed spotting, then she'd run back up to her Jeep, climb in, and we'd continue on.

This guy decides at every single obstacle, that he needs to get out, video/photograph everyone coming up the trail. But when she heads back to take us further down the trail from one particular obstacle, he doesn't want to get back in his friggin' jeep. The slower group is just down the trail, and he wants to photo them too. Several of us shout to him that we're moving, but he just keeps snapping photos.

Eventually I just go around him, he sees me do this, and starts sprinting back to his Jeep. The person behind me waits and lets him go, and now instead of being just in-front, he's just behind me. This seems to really bug him.

A little further down the trail, there's an unsanctioned "short cut" which he uses to break ahead. He waits for everyone else to pass, until I'm going by, at which point he darts out in front of me again. I don't know if he was pissed that I pulled around him, or maybe he's really concerned that he was supposed to maintain his spot in line.

Well we come up on a section of trail with a super steep climb. There are two options, a harder and a slightly less hard line. Trail leader comes over the CB and tells everyone that we're going to take the easier of the two lines. Apparently a year or two earlier, she was leading a group; and someone let their teenage daughter try the more difficult line, she lost her nerve and nearly rolled. Leader's son was a mid-gunner (as a teen), and tried jumping on the rock slider to weigh the jeep down, and he nearly gets thrown over the top. Jeep didn't roll, but she now calls the obstacle "Jamie's Casket", and she's obviously still shook up over seeing her teenage son nearly killed. Not only does she say we're taking the easier line, but she kindly requests nobody try the other one.

Well we all respect her request except for one driver. You guessed it...that guy. And now I can see he has a CB strapped to his A-pillar grab handle, so he definitely heard the instruction not to take the line. But he doesn't care.

Well he doesn't make it, has to back down. He ends up holding us up a full 5-10 mins while the tail gunner helps spot him back down the hill in reverse and we wait for him to catch up. He again cuts a few people off and tries to regain his position on the trail before we finally finish.

Wanna bet if I'm going to send him that footage he wanted?

Don't be that guy...
That guy must have been me, since I had a CB strapped to my A pilar. I had a proper CB but wasn't able to mount it in time for EJS so I thought a handheld would do. You may not have seen it, but everyone in my column swung ouit and went ahead. Once I was the last person, I did the same when there was room to get in. Not sure how you thought I cut you off, maybe you're not used to your vehicle yet.

I won't respond to all your statements, but I'll say one thing, you've earned the Wheaton's Law award for personally attacking someone on a public forum. You're setting quite the example for your kid. :)

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Not sure what one has to do with the other. A lot of fun can be had and/or witnessed with a bunch of Rednecks.
Jerks on the other hand happen to annoy most of us.
Oh, I love to get my redneck on and drink a few beers. But usually a large gathering of drunk rednecks may result in someone visiting a dentist on Monday morning. I want to check out Plant Bamboo, but I think it is a little too wild for me. I'll never forget one night in Suburban where you just heard 4 wheelers running and gunshots all night. I pitched my tent behind my Jeep in-case there was some errant gunfire from the road.

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
That guy must have been me, since I had a CB strapped to my A pilar. I had a proper CB but wasn't able to mount it in time for EJS so I thought a handheld would do. You may not have seen it, but everyone in my column swung ouit and went ahead. Once I was the last person, I did the same when there was room to get in. Not sure how you thought I cut you off, maybe you're not used to your vehicle yet.

I won't respond to all your statements, but I'll say one thing, you've earned the Wheaton's Law award for personally attacking someone on a public forum. You're setting quite the example for your kid. :)
If that’s your jeep in your sig pic, then no, it wasn’t you.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

giphy.gif

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey bud. Was fun hanging out on the trail with u. Please share the footage with me I really do need it for my youtube channel.

✌
Ha! No YouTube channel, just a personal blog. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.