Not open for further replies.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Hello all, was just sitting this afternoon and thinking about a situation we had this past weekend at the Jeep Safari.

My son and I went down on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, the last day of the event, we were signed up to run "Fins n' Things", a Badge of Honor trail.

It quickly became apparent that many of the people on this particular trail group were newbies. Most had never been to Jeep Safari (myself included), several had never even been Offroad before. As we started rolling, people were on the CB's asking if they should be in 4LO, or 4Hi, and if so, how to get the jeep into 4lo and 4hi. No big deal, we all start somewhere.

Anyway, as we're lined up to leave from the air-down spot, we are told to go out in the order that we were lined up in while airing down. I'm near the back of the first "column" of jeeps, and we're pulling out when the guy at the front of the second column decides he doesn't want to wait, he darts out, cutting me in line, and nearly clips my front end as he cuts me off. I figure that maybe he didn't hear the trail leader's instructions (several had no Com's for this run).

Well when we make a stop part way in, he gets out to shoot the breeze with everyone. Seems like a nice enough guy, maybe a little odd, but nice enough. He's from PA, and is on a several week long road trip out west. He even sent me his contact info and asked me to send some footage my son had captured of him going down an obstacle just in front of me. Apparently he's a budding travel blogger/ YouTube Vlogger and he'd like the footage for his trail report.

Well it quickly becomes apparent that we're not making good time as a group. We decide to split into a faster and slower group. He and I both decide to go in the faster group, and again, he cuts me off as we're leaving.

Several people in the faster group need to hit the road to make it home on time, and so we're trying to sort of hustle. My son and I plan to ride an MTB trail before heading home, and we see the window to do that rapidly closing, we're now in a bit of a hurry too.

Well the group leader would take all major obstacles first; then pull her jeep up a ways from the obstacle, and people would do the obstacle, then pull in behind her while she spotted those that needed spotting, then she'd run back up to her Jeep, climb in, and we'd continue on.

This guy decides at every single obstacle, that he needs to get out, video/photograph everyone coming up the trail. But when she heads back to take us further down the trail from one particular obstacle, he doesn't want to get back in his friggin' jeep. The slower group is just down the trail, and he wants to photo them too. Several of us shout to him that we're moving, but he just keeps snapping photos.

Eventually I just go around him, he sees me do this, and starts sprinting back to his Jeep. The person behind me waits and lets him go, and now instead of being just in-front, he's just behind me. This seems to really bug him.

A little further down the trail, there's an unsanctioned "short cut" which he uses to break ahead. He waits for everyone else to pass, until I'm going by, at which point he darts out in front of me again. I don't know if he was pissed that I pulled around him, or maybe he's really concerned that he was supposed to maintain his spot in line.

Well we come up on a section of trail with a super steep climb. There are two options, a harder and a slightly less hard line. Trail leader comes over the CB and tells everyone that we're going to take the easier of the two lines. Apparently a year or two earlier, she was leading a group; and someone let their teenage daughter try the more difficult line, she lost her nerve and nearly rolled. Leader's son was a mid-gunner (as a teen), and tried jumping on the rock slider to weigh the jeep down, and he nearly gets thrown over the top. Jeep didn't roll, but she now calls the obstacle "Jamie's Casket", and she's obviously still shook up over seeing her teenage son nearly killed. Not only does she say we're taking the easier line, but she kindly requests nobody try the other one.

Well we all respect her request except for one driver. You guessed it...that guy. And now I can see he has a CB strapped to his A-pillar grab handle, so he definitely heard the instruction not to take the line. But he doesn't care.

Well he doesn't make it, has to back down. He ends up holding us up a full 5-10 mins while the tail gunner helps spot him back down the hill in reverse and we wait for him to catch up. He again cuts a few people off and tries to regain his position on the trail before we finally finish.

Wanna bet if I'm going to send him that footage he wanted?

Don't be that guy...
Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Hello all,
Don't be that guy...
I am glad you are 'that guy' who knows how to properly use paragraphs. Interesting chain of events and easy to follow the way you wrote it up.

I'm sure you were very frustrated but you handled it very well. Do you have any footage of him being a jerk player that you could send him to post on his blog??

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I am glad you are 'that guy' who knows how to properly use paragraphs. Interesting chain of events and easy to follow the way you wrote it up.

I'm sure you were very frustrated but you handled it very well. Do you have any footage of him being a jerk player that you could send him to post on his blog??
That would be hilarious, but no. We were pretty much done filming by that point.

Sponsored

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
One reason I donā€™t want to groupsā€¦ But if you have footage of the guying being a jerk, I would upload it as example of what not to do and tag him.
So donā€™t be that guy, but do be that guy. šŸ‘šŸ˜‰

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Hello all, was just sitting this afternoon and thinking about a situation we had this past weekend at the Jeep Safari.

My son and I went down on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, the last day of the event, we were signed up to run "Fins n' Things", a Badge of Honor trail.

It quickly became apparent that many of the people on this particular trail group were newbies. Most had never been to Jeep Safari (myself included), several had never even been Offroad before. As we started rolling, people were on the CB's asking if they should be in 4LO, or 4Hi, and if so, how to get the jeep into 4lo and 4hi. No big deal, we all start somewhere.

Anyway, as we're lined up to leave from the air-down spot, we are told to go out in the order that we were lined up in while airing down. I'm near the back of the first "column" of jeeps, and we're pulling out when the guy at the front of the second column decides he doesn't want to wait, he darts out, cutting me in line, and nearly clips my front end as he cuts me off. I figure that maybe he didn't hear the trail leader's instructions (several had no Com's for this run).

Well when we make a stop part way in, he gets out to shoot the breeze with everyone. Seems like a nice enough guy, maybe a little odd, but nice enough. He's from PA, and is on a several week long road trip out west. He even sent me his contact info and asked me to send some footage my son had captured of him going down an obstacle just in front of me. Apparently he's a budding travel blogger/ YouTube Vlogger and he'd like the footage for his trail report.

Well it quickly becomes apparent that we're not making good time as a group. We decide to split into a faster and slower group. He and I both decide to go in the faster group, and again, he cuts me off as we're leaving.

Several people in the faster group need to hit the road to make it home on time, and so we're trying to sort of hustle. My son and I plan to ride an MTB trail before heading home, and we see the window to do that rapidly closing, we're now in a bit of a hurry too.

Well the group leader would take all major obstacles first; then pull her jeep up a ways from the obstacle, and people would do the obstacle, then pull in behind her while she spotted those that needed spotting, then she'd run back up to her Jeep, climb in, and we'd continue on.

This guy decides at every single obstacle, that he needs to get out, video/photograph everyone coming up the trail. But when she heads back to take us further down the trail from one particular obstacle, he doesn't want to get back in his friggin' jeep. The slower group is just down the trail, and he wants to photo them too. Several of us shout to him that we're moving, but he just keeps snapping photos.

Eventually I just go around him, he sees me do this, and starts sprinting back to his Jeep. The person behind me waits and lets him go, and now instead of being just in-front, he's just behind me. This seems to really bug him.

A little further down the trail, there's an unsanctioned "short cut" which he uses to break ahead. He waits for everyone else to pass, until I'm going by, at which point he darts out in front of me again. I don't know if he was pissed that I pulled around him, or maybe he's really concerned that he was supposed to maintain his spot in line.

Well we come up on a section of trail with a super steep climb. There are two options, a harder and a slightly less hard line. Trail leader comes over the CB and tells everyone that we're going to take the easier of the two lines. Apparently a year or two earlier, she was leading a group; and someone let their teenage daughter try the more difficult line, she lost her nerve and nearly rolled. Leader's son was a mid-gunner (as a teen), and tried jumping on the rock slider to weigh the jeep down, and he nearly gets thrown over the top. Jeep didn't roll, but she now calls the obstacle "Jamie's Casket", and she's obviously still shook up over seeing her teenage son nearly killed. Not only does she say we're taking the easier line, but she kindly requests nobody try the other one.

Well we all respect her request except for one driver. You guessed it...that guy. And now I can see he has a CB strapped to his A-pillar grab handle, so he definitely heard the instruction not to take the line. But he doesn't care.

Well he doesn't make it, has to back down. He ends up holding us up a full 5-10 mins while the tail gunner helps spot him back down the hill in reverse and we wait for him to catch up. He again cuts a few people off and tries to regain his position on the trail before we finally finish.

Wanna bet if I'm going to send him that footage he wanted?

Don't be that guy...

This is exactly why I have less than zero interest in taking trails with a large group during an overcrowded event like the EJS.

I can find plenty of traffic jams and pig-headed jerks on the roads nearby. No need to foul up my off roading time with them on a trail.

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Iā€™m known to call people out on their crapā€¦ Itā€™s gotten me in trouble a time or two.
Yeah happens to all of us. šŸ‘ Does sound like ā€œthat guyā€ ruined a perfectly good drive for everyone, though.

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Huh - this is why I don't want to be a sheep and follow along like a duckling in a line on some official, guided trip. If you don't want to deal with that, roll solo, roll with friends, run in small groups.
yes, this will probably be our only guided run we do. It definitely was a bit frustrating having our pace tied to the slowest person in the group. We didnā€™t have as much time in town as we would have liked because both trails went several hours longer than expected.

Still, we did meet some legitimately cool people out there too.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Honestly, I'd have forgone the mountain bike trip and hung back a bit. I try not to let one discourteous person ruin my trip. I go out to Suburban Estates in Holopaw a bunch. It is full of drunk rednecks, I just keep my distance from the jerks.

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Honestly, I'd have forgone the mountain bike trip and hung back a bit. I try not to let one discourteous person ruin my trip. I go out to Suburban Estates in Holopaw a bunch. It is full of drunk rednecks, I just keep my distance from the jerks.
that wouldā€™ve been my choice too, but my son was looking forward to mountain biking more than anything else. So I didnā€™t want to have him miss out on that.

I will say though, heā€™s 15 and he had a blast. Heā€™s a self described ā€œWW2 history nerdā€ and he brought along some ducks and ducked every single Flat fender jeep he saw. After this weekend he now wants to save up and buy himself a TJ next year. So Iā€™ll count that as a win.

Maybe next year Iā€™ll have a trail partner to go with, and wonā€™t need to rely on large group rides in order to not wheel alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.