Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I see 8th on my Sahara with 3.45 gearing and 35s sometimes. Pretty sure your big bad Rubicon should too.
Same here with my Sahara running 35’s ... originally 8th was all the time but when I added bigger tires and different wheels along with a steel bumper and winch 8th gear disappeared but I do see it running flat, I honestly don’t miss it and my hwy mileage runs 18-20 so not terrible
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
On the 6 speed manual, I rarely get past 4th gear. 6th is unusable.
And I thought it was just me. Same here. On the highway I rarely go past 4th gear in my manual. I rarely drive over 70.
but never feel the need to even go into 5th.

OP
OP

exlax66

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
just wondering what are the RPMs @68 and 7th? And then, if it goes to 8th, @what speed @RPMs? Is it on a totally flat road with no incline?
If I remember correctly in 7th gear I think it is around 2500-2600 RPM at 70 mph.

OP
OP

exlax66

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
I see 8th gear every day on flat roads at around 55 mph or faster. But, I drive like a sane person with plenty of time to get to my destination unlike the majority of people who drive like it's a race.
Yeah I have tried to put on the cruise and even shift it manually to 8th gear but if there is any wind at all it wants to down shift again as soon as I move it back to automatic mode.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
If I remember correctly in 7th gear I think it is around 2500-2600 RPM at 70 mph.
thats a little bit closer to 4th or 5thin the manual then. It would seem that gearing is pretty closely matched as far as overdrive goes

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Every time I drive it. Around town doing 40-50, on the hwy and in 4lo between obstacles. I’m regeared, 5.13, and on 37s with the 3.6.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I did a little bit of experimenting yesterday driving across Oklahoma on I-40.
I have a JLU Sport V6, clean outside (nothing added that would create more drag). I have Rubicon tires and springs so I'm essentially the same as a Rubicon except for the final drive ratio. On flat ground it will maintain 8th gear at 75 mph on the interstate. A slight uphill and it will downshift. I tried manual mode for the first time, and forced it into 8th gear. It would hold 8th gear even on slight uphill sections but with the cruise on it might not maintain 75 mph. At one point it had dropped slightly below 70mph. So with the gearing I have 8th gear (0.67:1) will barely overcome the normal drag on the vehicle, with a combined ratio of 2.31. The Rubicon has lower differential gearing so should stay in 8th gear a reasonable amount.

In 7th gear (0.84:1) where it wants to run with slight uphill, I have combined ratio of 2.90. The Rubicon with 4.10 final drive, in 8th gear (0.67:1)), has combined ratio of 2.75. So the Rubicon in 8th gear is very close to the Sport in 7th and should handle most highway conditions like that.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gear-ratio-chart-for-jl-wrangler.1781/

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I have tried to put on the cruise and even shift it manually to 8th gear but if there is any wind at all it wants to down shift again as soon as I move it back to automatic mode.
Same here, we recently took a trip to the Gulf Coast ( Padre ) and on the way back it was super windy and we drove head on into pretty stout wind and even in manual with it in 8th gear with cruise on we lost ground so let it do it’s thing and ran 6th gear a lot with avg MPG at 16-17 but to be honest the wind was like 20-25 mph and tossed my Jeep around a lot

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
8th gear all day at 45 mph.
3L torque.