Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I love the look of the nerf steps so much but every step-related thread highlights how you lose clearance with them, lol.

Steps of some sort are a non-negotiable for my wife/kids, so I'll definitely have a decision. I don't dislike the Westin step look.
Sponsored

CamperShamu

First Name
Shamu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR(ordered), Tesla 3, BMW m240i
No problem at all! Another thing worth mentioning, is I added extra grab handles above the doors for another grabbing option for my little Mrs. She never uses them, and says the a-pillar grab handle is in the perfect spot for her.

The 1st couple times that she climbed in, it was awkward for her. She was stepping up with her left foot to get in the front passenger side, and having to shuffle about to slide in. I showed her how much easier it is to step up with her right foot, so her left can seamlessly swing in.
Mike, A somewhat related question if you donā€™t mind, how does your wife feel driving the Jeep? I am in the same situation with my wife in terms of height(sheā€™s 4ā€™10) and she can barely reach The pedals On a wrangler.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Mike, A somewhat related question if you donā€™t mind, how does your wife feel driving the Jeep? I am in the same situation with my wife in terms of height(sheā€™s 4ā€™10) and she can barely reach The pedals On a wrangler.
She's only driven it a few times because she originally had an interest in a 2 door Rubicon back when Punk'n was still an available color. Otherwise, the Jeep is mine and she has her own vehicle.

At first she was pumping the seat height all the way up, which made her have to slide the seat all the way forward. She did that to maximize her view over the hood and in front of the Jeep. This caused her feet to hover over the pedals, so not having her heels planted made it tiring to hold her leg out. It also takes away finer control over the throttle, especially through the bumps and dips.

I explained that she didn't need to sit so high, and losing a couple degrees of view in front of the grill was worth being able to rest her heel while on the throttle. With the seat all the way down but still fully forward, her heel was lightly touching the floor. A little padding under the floor mat would've made it perfect and allowed her to fully relax her leg. She found it a whole lot more comfortable at that point, and she didn't feel that her view was impeded at all with the seat all the way down. Also worth noting for reference sake, she has a 26" inseam.

If your wife is pumping the seat all the way up out of habit, try lowering it. That will have a far more drastic affect on reaching the pedals than it'll have on negatively affecting the vantage point from the seat.

CamperShamu

First Name
Shamu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR(ordered), Tesla 3, BMW m240i
She's only driven it a few times because she originally had an interest in a 2 door Rubicon back when Punk'n was still an available color. Otherwise, the Jeep is mine and she has her own vehicle.

At first she was pumping the seat height all the way up, which made her have to slide the seat all the way forward. She did that to maximize her view over the hood and in front of the Jeep. This caused her feet to hover over the pedals, so not having her heels planted made it tiring to hold her leg out. It also takes away finer control over the throttle, especially through the bumps and dips.

I explained that she didn't need to sit so high, and losing a couple degrees of view in front of the grill was worth being able to rest her heel while on the throttle. With the seat all the way down but still fully forward, her heel was lightly touching the floor. A little padding under the floor mat would've made it perfect and allowed her to fully relax her leg. She found it a whole lot more comfortable at that point, and she didn't feel that her view was impeded at all with the seat all the way down. Also worth noting for reference sake, she has a 26" inseam.

If your wife is pumping the seat all the way up out of habit, try lowering it. That will have a far more drastic affect on reaching the pedals than it'll have on negatively affecting the vantage point from the seat.
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. So far she has given up the few times I have rented a wrangler over the years. Iā€™m picking up my first one this weekend(despite her reservations šŸ˜…) and will try what you suggest. Letā€™s see how it goes.

ā€˜The one thing that somewhat worked for her before when we rented wranglers was having a pillow on her back that moved her forward and she was able to make that work. Apparently what is missing for her is the ability to tilt the seat forward to make her feet reach.

Incidentally she fits perfectly fine on a Bronco(we test drove a badlands last year with 8 way power adjustable seats). No issues. I was one of those reservation holders who gave up after all the crap from ford. Hoping this works out somehow as she is pumped to go wheeling. If it doesnā€™t, will have to look at the bronco again in a few years.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I forgot to mention 5ā€8
Get steps. Why have to stretch and strain just to get in your rig? You get no extra points for being uncomfortablešŸ˜. Decent steps will make life easier, and if you get the right ones they will still protect your rig.

Sponsored

saturnfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRX, ARMADA, SEQUOIA
Old post but wanted to give credit to the folks with all their pics and insights.

This helps us made the decision to get a step for access in/out. We have a 392 on Order and this will be my wife's Daily. She is 5'1". My 2 teen girls are ~5'2" and ~5"3" and my youngest is still in a booster seat.

My wife could not get into our TRX w/o the step and she still thinks it is a bit tall. I am leaning toward the Go Rhino bed lined step. It prevents the door dings and is enough height for them.
Is it pretty easy to take on and off the rockrails that come standard on the 2024 392's? Not that she will be hitting those trails. 99% it will be a daily driver and maybe a few trips to the beach and Texas parks. (easy trails)

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Is it pretty easy to take on and off the rockrails that come standard on the 2024 392's?
I think it took me about 10 minutes to get the factory rock rails of my 392 when I switched to the RSE Step Sliders. Just a few nuts on the stud that go through the body seam and 3 bolts up on the floor.