Sponsored

Do the Rubicon's rockrails need to be removed to install Mopar "Production" Side Steps?

Byrd746

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just replaced the "regular" Rubicon rails with the Mopar Rails with step assist. Took me a few hours ONLY because the weathertech mudflaps I had installed have a "cup" that fits over the normal rails and I had to do some cutting for the flaps to fit over the step assist rails. If you don't have mupflaps removal of rails and installation of the new would be about 30-45 minutes. It is 3 large bolts and 6 smaller nuts per side then the rails come right off. A second pair of hands would be helpful but it is sola-able if you can lift 30 lbs. comfortably.

That said the Mopar rails with steps are heavier for sure and seem like they would provide decent protection. I haven't off-roaded either set so take my observations as that. The step is adequate for an average sized foot and does not reduce clearance.

Cheapest price I found was here.
Did you buy yours from the vendor you linked? If so, any issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Found some pics in this phone. Let me know if below helps. If you want I can still take some pics tomorrow and also put my foot on the steps to show better perspective. I was swapping tops in the pics since I got the dual top group.

20200606_123536_IMG_0519.JPG

20200725_123733_IMG_0637.JPG

Those are really nice

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Those are really nice
Are you planning on wheeling your Jeep or you are just getting a Rubicon for its looks? I got my Rubicon for looks and go off the beaten path rarely. I plan on not doing any mods to my Jeep and largely keep it factory stock.

I still bought the Mopar Rock Rails with Side Steps as I like the better strength of materials. These are Metal while the steps you showed earlier are plastic. For folks like me, the metal steps should be optional but a very good choice. Its not like the end of the world if you get the plastic steps instead. However If you want to Wheel the Rubicon then the Metal Steps are a must have IMHO.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Are you planning on wheeling your Jeep or you are just getting a Rubicon for its looks? I got my Rubicon for looks and go off the beaten path rarely. I plan on not doing any mods to my Jeep and largely keep it factory stock.

I still bought the Mopar Rock Rails with Side Steps as I like the better strength of materials. These are Metal while the steps you showed earlier are plastic. For folks like me, the metal steps should be optional but a very good choice. Its not like the end of the world if you get the plastic steps instead. However If you want to Wheel the Rubicon then the Metal Steps are a must have IMHO.
I primarily got the Rubicon for the looks. However, I would like to take it wheeling on some nice trails. I don't plan on doing any hardcore rock climbing. The feedback I have received here has been super helpful. I think I'm gonna look into the metal ones. I'd hate to lose the protection the rock rails provide, even if I may never need it. Thanks again!
Sponsored