Discreet air compressor install - 4xe

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Can you see it?

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0890

Disclaimer: I got the idea from here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/arb-single-compressor-mounting-options.12647/

I wanted onboard air but did not want it in the cabin or under the seat. I already have an amp and a CB mounted under my seats. We also cannot mount it under the hood by the driver wheel in the 4xe, so Grimm mount is not an option. After a lot of research and giving up on mounting a dual ARB air compressor, I settled for the single one because it is smaller, lighter, and easier to handle. I stumbled upon the forum post above and wanted to try the same.

The process was very straightforward. The mount that comes in the box is like it was made to be mounted behind the taillight. The taillight clears without any issues, too.

1- take the air compressor mount apart.
2- Mount behind the taillight.
3- Put the air compressor back on.
4- Wire to the battery or aux switch (I ran mine to aux 2).
5- Run the hose coupling anywhere in that area (I ran mine up by the hard top harness port cover - pics below).
6- Admire your work.

It sounds easier said than done, mainly because it is a very tight space, and a lot of patience is needed. That said, I would do it all over again. I can't think of putting anything else in that space, and mounting the air compressor there clears up more room in the cabin for other stuff. It is also very easy to get access back to it for maintenance.

The air compressor is well protected. It is not in the cabin but is also not exposed. I did not run the air intake up like in the post above. I did not find a reason for that. The taillight area is open to the wheel well and is already very well-ventilated.

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0855

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0854

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0858

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0880

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0885

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0886

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0888

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0889

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0890

Jeep Wrangler JL Discreet air compressor install - 4xe IMG_0906
Sponsored

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Awesome work! This will be on my list once I finish the trailer and have time to work on the Jeep again.

Thanks for taking the time to share a full write up!

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Awesome mod, very clean and professional looking. Has anyone tried this with any other pumps? I have a smittybilt and would be curious if anyone thinks mounting it in the same spot would be possible.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
Love the stealth install! If only I could do this on my Gladiator

Sponsored

jinxxxxx

First Name
eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Love the installation. Where did you pull power from ?

OP
OP
unknownsolo

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Love the installation. Where did you pull power from ?
Thank you. Got power from aux connections under the hood. You can drop the cables down, fish them through the body all the way to the front, take the cables back up to the aux switches, and enjoy. That was actually the easiest part of this whole install.

The hardest part was working on the mount because there isn't a lot of space.

jinxxxxx

First Name
eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Thanks. That will work because I did get the aux switches. Any problems with heat or noise ? Or is it too soon to tell?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Very slick! I love the fact that it doesn't use any space at all on the inside.

OP
OP
unknownsolo

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Thanks. That will work because I did get the aux switches. Any problems with heat or noise ? Or is it too soon to tell?
I live in WA, it doesn't get too hot here, so I am not sure, but I can't imagine it being any worse than under the hood. If you look behind your taillight, that area is actually open to the wheel well and is ventilated, I doubt it will overheat in there.

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'm so doing this on my 4xe. I had an ARB single mounted to the firewall with the ACM mount on my '18 JLUR and have been looking for a good place on my 4xe since I bought it in November. The spot that I was going to use is in the under floor tub... but this is better!

OP
OP
unknownsolo

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
I thought about the cargo tub, too, but I have my tools there, and I wanted the air compressor out of the way, and completely hidden somewhere. This has been working for me really well. Solid build you even forget it's there, and you don't need any additional mount hardware.

One advise is prep prep prep. It's easy and the install is straight forward but is very time consuming due to the limited space. It took me like an hour and a half to tighten two bolts. It's smooth sailing afterwards once you get the hang of it. Mounting was the most time-consuming part. Wiring to the aux switches was the easiest part (at least for me).

Once I had everything mounted, I decided to add rubber washers to help dampen the noise, so I had to undo the mount. That alone took all afternoon.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
do you have any pictures showing how you bolted the mounting plate down?