Differential Oil

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Guys....
No need to remove the Diff covers for this simple fluid swap. Utilize the drain plugs. I recommend using some Thread Tape when reinstalling the drain plugs.

IMO — dump the factory stuff at 2k mis. Then swap again at 20k, then every 20k following (obviously full synthetic)
I would pull the covers on the initial OC if for nothing else but to inspect everything. I do it to also clean out any "goo" which collects at the bottom of the housing. Both of my axles had rubber coated metal gaskets which were reusable.

With that said, as JDLouisville stated, you do not need to pull the covers, there are built-in drain plugs.
Sponsored

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I would keep it "all in the family" and use the Amsoil Slip-Lock, though I am betting you will not need it.
Yeah I ended up buying the Amsoil Slip-lock, obviously it was developed with there own products in mind and should work good.

I ordered it just encase I needed it, instead of having to wait for it to get in, thanks!

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to do mine and got

Valvonline synthetic 75W-90 for the front D30
Valvonline synthetic 75W-140 for the rear D44 w/trac loc (LSD)

I also got a 4oz bottle of the Mopar friction modifier. The Valvoline synthetic has FM in it but I can't seem to get a clear answer if it sufficient or if the Mopar stuff is needed.
Just a follow up on this. I've been using the above setup without issue. I used 2oz (1/2 the bottle) of the Mopar FM in the rear to supplement the unknown amount of FM in the Valvoline. I've put 5k miles on it, including a 2,700 4th of July cross country trip and all is well.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Just a follow up on this. I've been using the above setup without issue. I used 2oz (1/2 the bottle) of the Mopar FM in the rear to supplement the unknown amount of FM in the Valvoline. I've put 5k miles on it, including a 2,700 4th of July cross country trip and all is well.
I just finished up breaking in my gears that I had installed but will be swapping the fluid out hopefully tomorrow. I saw what you’re running and was going to go with it since I have the 30 front/44 rear with anti slip(similar to LSD). Is there only certain brands that are available for the recommendations from the owners manual? I was planning on getting the royal purple brand from my local Napa store. Also, what do y’all do with the used fluids? Is there normally a turn in spot for old fluids? Trying to do everything on my own after the initial free services from the dealership to avoid the service costs that I almost got pushed once($320 per axle on my JK).

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I just finished up breaking in my gears that I had installed but will be swapping the fluid out hopefully tomorrow. I saw what you’re running and was going to go with it since I have the 30 front/44 rear with anti slip(similar to LSD). Is there only certain brands that are available for the recommendations from the owners manual? I was planning on getting the royal purple brand from my local Napa store. Also, what do y’all do with the used fluids? Is there normally a turn in spot for old fluids? Trying to do everything on my own after the initial free services from the dealership to avoid the service costs that I almost got pushed once($320 per axle on my JK).

I bring my used oil/fluids to local Jeep store around the corner from my house, where I buy my cars, they burn the waste oil so it is a win win. I beleive Advanced Auto parts accepts waste oil and fluids as long as no anti freeze is mixed in. Might check with some local garages, they may take it.

Sponsored

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I bring my used oil/fluids to local Jeep store around the corner from my house, where I buy my cars, they burn the waste oil so it is a win win. I beleive Advanced Auto parts accepts waste oil and fluids as long as no anti freeze is mixed in. Might check with some local garages, they may take it.
When I pick up my fluids later today I’ll ask if they do it there. Still surprised that O’Reilly was willing to take my old batteries over autozone(did a dual battery install recently and have been trying to clear up the garage). Thankyou for the info!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just to be crystal clear since there’s tons of discussion, would this work for a Rubicon if I wanted to stay with OEM fluids?
Mopar Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram 2 Quarts SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant OEM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VMTHSXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_TRlrFbEAE1NEH
I think it would be good, but there are excellent choices for much less money, like Valvoline, Supertech, and Mobil 1.

But to answer your question, yes, I'm sure it is excellent gear oil and would serve you well.

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Just to be crystal clear since there’s tons of discussion, would this work for a Rubicon if I wanted to stay with OEM fluids?
Mopar Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram 2 Quarts SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant OEM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VMTHSXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_TRlrFbEAE1NEH
Thats exactly what I bought several weeks ago for my wife's Recon. Although it only has 5,000 miles on it, lots of people suggest changing the rear diff fluid early so that's what I did.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Hmm. I’m about to hit Moab, almost 15,000 miles. Now I have to ask: Should I change my diff oils first? Would be the first time - also some heavy wheeling last month in Colorado.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm. I’m about to hit Moab, almost 15,000 miles. Now I have to ask: Should I change my diff oils first? Would be the first time - also some heavy wheeling last month in Colorado.
Based upon the metal that I had in mine, I would change it. The vast majority of axle wear occurs at 15K or less miles.

24E8Sn.jpg

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just changed mine this weekend around 17k miles. Fluid coming out wasn’t completely black, and didn’t notice any metal flakes. Wiped off a lot of gunk on the drain plug though.

For how easy it is to do, it’s great for peace of mind!

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
This has probably been answered but I can't find it if so haha:
I have a 2021 Wrangler Sport S Ecodiesel so it has,
Dana 44 front no LSD or lockers
Dana 44 rear WITH LSD but no lockers

What is the recommended oil viscosity needed I'm thinking of using Redline brand or royal purple.
p.s. do I need friction modifier with redline or royal purple? synthetic, etc? thank you in advance! and I don't tow but I wheel it hard and am adding weight constantly to the jeep

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Howardlv22

For your JL that you do not tow with.... and your mentioning Royal Purple...

You do not need any additional additives with these..
Dana 44, M210 (Front) 1.2 qts. Royal Purple 75w90 Syn. Gear Oil
Dana 44 M220 (Rear) 1.5 qts. Royal Purple 75w90 Syn.Gear Oil

If you buy from Amazon here is the RP 75W90
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple...8&sr=1-2-526ea17f-3f73-4b50-8cd8-6acff948fa5a

Have 4 bottles on hand, especially if you tend to spill..be sloppy... 8-) You can do with 3 qts if you do not spill / waste... Filling both takes 2.7 qts. total.

You will need Yellow Teflon Tape ... some type of thread sealer that can hand petroleum products.

Hint: Be sure when you do your diffs (easy to do) to always loosen the fill plug before you drain the diff, using it's diff drain plug.

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
@Howardlv22

For your JL that you do not tow with.... and your mentioning Royal Purple...

You do not need any additional additives with these..
Dana 44, M210 (Front) 1.2 qts. Royal Purple 75w90 Syn. Gear Oil
Dana 44 M220 (Rear) 1.5 qts. Royal Purple 75w90 Syn.Gear Oil

If you buy from Amazon here is the RP 75W90
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple...8&sr=1-2-526ea17f-3f73-4b50-8cd8-6acff948fa5a

Have 4 bottles on hand, especially if you tend to spill..be sloppy... 8-) You can do with 3 qts if you do not spill / waste... Filling both takes 2.7 qts. total.

You will need Yellow Teflon Tape ... some type of thread sealer that can hand petroleum products.

Hint: Be sure when you do your diffs (easy to do) to always loosen the fill plug before you drain the diff, using it's diff drain plug.
Awesome yeah my old jeep had a Dana 30 up front so I wanted a good recommendation I appreciate it!
Sponsored