Sponsored

Differential oil change

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Did my Diff fluid change this weekend @ 28k mi. Using a Fluid Pump for the bottles made this job a walk in the park.

Used Valvoline 75W-90. Added 1oz of LSD additive to the front and 2oz to the rear.

Front Diff took exactly 1 QT of fluid.
Rear DIff took 1 and 3/4 Quarts of fluid.

Thanks to @JAY for the easy to find post with torque specs for the plugs.

No metal chunks and just a light bit of shavings found as normal.

Diff 1.jpg
Diff 2.jpg
Why would you put additive in the front? Doesn't the Valvoline already include additive?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Did my Diff fluid change this weekend @ 28k mi. Using a Fluid Pump for the bottles made this job a walk in the park.

Used Valvoline 75W-90. Added 1oz of LSD additive to the front and 2oz to the rear.

Front Diff took exactly 1 QT of fluid.
Rear DIff took 1 and 3/4 Quarts of fluid.

Thanks to @JAY for the easy to find post with torque specs for the plugs.

No metal chunks and just a light bit of shavings found as normal.

Diff 1.jpg
Diff 2.jpg
@ErAcEr

Why would you add more additive... The Valvoline has additive in it already..

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
@ErAcEr

Why would you add more additive... The Valvoline has additive in it already..

I thought about that after seeing it stated on the bottle. Figured it wouldn't hurt. Conflicting information and since I had already bought the stuff and had my gloves on. Figured yall would skool me after the post.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about that after seeing it stated on the bottle. Figured it wouldn't hurt. Conflicting information and since I had already bought the stuff and had my gloves on. Figured yall would skool me after the post.
The only issue with using too much LS additive is it can cause the clutch packs to slip and wear faster than normal.

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
There have been some variations between what has been required/needed with different axles/covers/models. The Motobilt covers **appear** to have more capacity than the stock covers due to the shape they have and they are "blown out" a bit versus the very tight contours of the factory covers. If it was filled to the bottom of the fill hole, I am confident you are good.

image_e235d7ee-30a1-4162-aa2c-5796f8fb5ccd.jpg

HI2Lp1.jpg
Old reply, but beware of the non-OEM (flat) diff covers. The ring-gear ridge in there is to facilitate fluid flow to the pinion bearing.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Old reply, but beware of the non-OEM (flat) diff covers. The ring-gear ridge in there is to facilitate fluid flow to the pinion bearing.
Right on both counts, but the Motobilt is not a flat cover. Perhaps, you thinking about a Mag-Hytec or equivalent.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Someone’s been watching the Banks marketing video.
That honestly was one of the most informative video series I've seen. It gave me at least some of the criteria I considered when I chose the ARB rear cover on my Jeep.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Here are the service sheets from DANA. 75w-140 is what I used in both Front and Rear axles when I potted my locker sensors. Which if you have a Rubicon I would highly recommend getting Electronic Potting Compound and sealing up those axle sensors before they fail!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/
I only run Amsoil 75W-140 in my diffs on my 2019 JLUR. I had the gearing changed to 5.13s and the shop said my stock 4.10 gears looked fantastic. I tow and off-road and change the diff fluid every 15K to be safe. Cheap insurance.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
@PiroJeep96

What you do is use 1 quart of the 75W90 and two quarts of the 75w140.

Using 2 quarts of 75W140, do your rear diff first with the 75w140 and you will have some fluid left over.

Now, do your front with the 1 quart of 75w90 and since you will be a tad short of fluid, use the left over 75w140 to fill the diff, till it drips out.

Per Royal Purple, and Valvoline there is absolutely no reason you cannot mix the two product weights together. I spoke with their reps on the phone..

What I do is buy the 4 pack, Valvoline Flexfill 75W140 and singles of the Valvoline 75W90.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KB5LTJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hint: Be sure when you do your diffs (easy to do) to always loosen the fill plug before you drain the diff using the diff drain plug.
Going to be trying that method in the next few days. The Valvoline has arrived!

Mightyoak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler rubicon, 2021 gladiator rubicon
This is exactly what I did this weekend. I had not changed the rear and only mild off road but started reading this thread and knew I needed to get it done right away with over 40,000 miles on the jlu. Luckily no metal chunks. Smelled a little burnt but front and rear all done now and bought Enough to do it again in another 15,000 miles or so. At least they make it easy on these especially with the flex bags.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
This is exactly what I did this weekend. I had not changed the rear and only mild off road but started reading this thread and knew I needed to get it done right away with over 40,000 miles on the jlu. Luckily no metal chunks. Smelled a little burnt but front and rear all done now and bought Enough to do it again in another 15,000 miles or so. At least they make it easy on these especially with the flex bags.
Im almost at 20,000 miles so I think I should change the diff oil too. Did you use thread sealer? Is the Valvoline working well? Does it have enough friction modifier? I worry to much about everything.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Im almost at 20,000 miles so I think I should change the diff oil too. Did you use thread sealer? Is the Valvoline working well? Does it have enough friction modifier?

I worry to much about everything.
Worrier. ;)

I used a length of this PTFE tape on the cleaned threads of the fill and drain plugs, to no ill effect.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I haven't read every single page in this thread yet, is there a write up on how to change the diffs on a JLUR? I haven't changed my dif fluids yet 😬
Sponsored