Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Randy:

I've read from those in the know that if FCA had made the ESS button remember its on/off state between cold cranks (i.e. latching) that the EPA would not allow the vehicle to participate in the manufacturer's fleet of vehicles by which overall MPG is measures, and CAFE standards are applied. Those standards have huge penalties associated with manufacturers not following them.
Really? My BMW remembers my choice. Maybe they can afford the penalties. :)
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Really? My BMW remembers my choice. Maybe they can afford the penalties. :)
Glad you asked. Actually, it seems that vehicles with latching ESS buttons can be included in test results, but with stricter parameters:

"Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the Environmental Protection Agency. If the vehicle’s stop/start system is nonlatching and automatically turns on whenever you start the car, the EPA’s fuel-economy test results will be calculated only when the system is engaged. But if a vehicle’s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicle’s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when it’s off. The EPA then averages the two tests for a resulting fuel-economy rating found on the car’s window sticker—which is certain to be lower. "

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you asked. Actually, it seems that vehicles with latching ESS buttons can be included in test results, but with stricter parameters:

"Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the Environmental Protection Agency. If the vehicle’s stop/start system is nonlatching and automatically turns on whenever you start the car, the EPA’s fuel-economy test results will be calculated only when the system is engaged. But if a vehicle’s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicle’s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when it’s off. The EPA then averages the two tests for a resulting fuel-economy rating found on the car’s window sticker—which is certain to be lower. "

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/
Good info. Thanks!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
IF you are not using o

@Headbarcode
@Resin Addict

I ran with the Tazer JL and then the Tazer JL Mini.... I sure enjoyed fooling with the Tazer JL units.

I enjoyed my back and forth's with Joe @ ZAutomotive, and fellow Tazer Jl user's here.

At the start the Tazer JL, in it's fledgling stage was challenging.... never a dull moment lets say.

Anyway, the Tazer JL has come a long long way and I have no reason to knock it... sway people away from it. IT is a terrific addition to the JL...

But.... I found myself over time, not using the features that the Tazer JL offered me.... SO, I sold my Tazer JL Mini, for pretty much what I paid for it... and then went with the SmartStopStart unit which is also a terrific unit...

I should mention that the SmartStopStart unit was the very first to market in regard to a unit that dealt with the JL's ESS... Next in line in regard to this ESS thing.... after many months, was the Tazer JL...

After that came the SuperChips programmer that still to this day has a lame approach to disabling ESS.... requires that you disconnect a plunger in the engine compartment... you got to be kidding....

Then, came the Chinese knockoffs, etc...
My buddies girlfriend recently got an ocean blue Sport S, and was complaining about ess. I got her the smartstopstart unit as a happy new car gift, and now she's happy and my buddy is getting tired of hearing how great I am. Hahaha

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
My buddies girlfriend recently got an ocean blue Sport S, and was complaining about ess. I got her the smartstopstart unit as a happy new car gift, and now she's happy and my buddy is getting tired of hearing how great I am. Hahaha
Less buttons pushed on the jeep more of your buttons she can push oh yeah...LOL.

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
I had a 2014 BMW and it didn't remember the previous ESS setting. I had to turn ESS off with each start. It's only saving grace was that the ESS button was next to the Start button.
Unfortunately not so in the RHD JL. I put up with it for a few months, but after a couple of times with the engine stopping just when I was about to launch into traffic, I decided enough was enough.
I fitted the Smart Stop Start several months ago and haven't looked back. Gone are the frustrations of forgetting to turn off ESS, and in the very few cases where it might be useful, I can simply turn it on.
I removed the unit when the car went for service to avoid any complications, and the ESS went back to it's horrible 'normal'. Following service, I simply reinstalled the ESS. All good again.
Worth the money in my books.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
My wife's BMW (2017) remembers the ESS setting, for about two weeks, then she needs to reset it. On my 2019 JL I put the SmartStopStart on it the first week I had it and I'm totally sold on the product. It just works. (But I do take it off whenever I bring the Jeep by the dealership for service or warranty).

Best,
-Tim

Sponsored

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
My wife's BMW (2017) remembers the ESS setting, for about two weeks, then she needs to reset it. On my 2019 JL I put the SmartStopStart on it the first week I had it and I'm totally sold on the product. It just works. (But I do take it off whenever I bring the Jeep by the dealership for service or warranty).

Best,
-Tim
I also have the SmartStopStart and love it. Worth the cash. I have also never removed it when servicing the vehicle by the way. So I am assuming it does not show up on their OBD.

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
I did the cheapest and easiest fix for the ESS, disconnected one of the hood latches and never think about the ESS again. I love it!!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I did the cheapest and easiest fix for the ESS, disconnected one of the hood latches and never think about the ESS again. I love it!!!
@DaveMNH

Hope others here reading this do their homework, before following your lead. There are inherent issues ... ongoing, sometimes intermittent when you disconnect the one plunger.

Suggest anyone that wants to deal with ESS, to either push the button or spend the $ and purchase a device like the SmartStopStart or a Tazer JL. You'll be able to resell such a unit when you eventually sell your JL... FORGET doing the plunger disconnect or taking the plunger and lying it on it's side so it is not in play..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I also have the SmartStopStart and love it. Worth the cash. I have also never removed it when servicing the vehicle by the way. So I am assuming it does not show up on their OBD.
@znakos

Yuo would be prudent to remove the SSS, before your Service Department visit... Dealer's WiTech, will send info about the installed SSS unit and more if the SSS hardware is installed. SSS, leaves no history to send FCA, so as long as you remove the SSS itself, before your Service Dept. visit, you will always be aok..

A post I made a while back:

"I have run both the Tazer JL Mini and now the SmartStopStart unit. BOTH are terrific.

My dealer knows about and is not concerned that I run a SmartStopStart. They do ask that I remove it before I bring the JL in ... which is a rare day in hell, lets say..

Dealer did voice concern and worry for me though, with the Tazer JL Mini. They made it known to me that when they hook my JL to their WiTech computer, that FCA is then thrown into the mix... and even if they the dealer, didn't care, that if there is a major issue with my JL, that FCA could dig deep into what the WiTech reported to them in regard to a programmer in the mix, and then I could have an issue lets say.

With the SmartStopStart unit the issue/concern I just mentioned is not a concern... if you remove the SSS the WiTech, FCA sees nothing... sees no history, as deep as they may search, in regard to the SSS."

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
Wait a sec... so this auto stop/start can’t be turned off completely? My last car had it and it was a simple memory feature and the auto stop/start would be disabled for good. Me personally i cant stand auto stop/start.
Sponsored