First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I just noticed this hanging wire on the passenger side near the rear window defroster. It looks like it broke loose from rear window defroster border. Any idea how I could reattach it?
Jeep Wrangler JL Detached Defroster Wire thumbnail_IMG_6031

Jeep Wrangler JL Detached Defroster Wire thumbnail_IMG_6030
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
When mine came loose like that I just popped the button out of the connector and held the button against the glass with pliers. I then pressed against the button with my soldering iron and pulled the trigger and watched for the solder to melt, when it did I released the trigger and kept the pressure on the button until it cooled. Popped the connector back on and done.
Gregj

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same picture on my Jeep.

Greg above here used one method, but you have to be very careful not to apply too much heat. I do believe that most of these are “COLD” Solder joints which is a Quality Assurance issue. Either the Machine doing it or the laborer doing the soldering is not watching for solder flow.

Another method is using an Electrically Conductive Epoxy to adhere it back on. I do wonder it it would allow enough amps to do the trick in getting the defroster to work….

Permatex makes a Defogger Tab repair kit, which is part number #21351. I have used something like this to repair the lines themselves on the window. My local Advance Auto sells this.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the same picture on my Jeep.

Greg above here used one method, but you have to be very careful not to apply too much heat. I do believe that most of these are “COLD” Solder joints which is a Quality Assurance issue. Either the Machine doing it or the laborer doing the soldering is not watching for solder flow.

Another method is using an Electrically Conductive Epoxy to adhere it back on. I do wonder it it would allow enough amps to do the trick in getting the defroster to work….

Permatex makes a Defogger Tab repair kit, which is part number #21351. I have used something like this to repair the lines themselves on the window. My local Advance Auto sells this.
I'm guessing this solder is a low temperature alloy. Old standard 60/40 tin/lead solder is 361F melt. Some of the lowest melt solders flow at around 120F. Something around 200F would work.
Amazon.com : low melt solder

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
If you’re under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them fix it so you have a record. I’ve had mine fixed twice and they said the next time they’ll just replace the whole thing. The dealer had a new kit that came out and it worked fine. Mopar parts has that kit for sale and it is the only one they recommend for repair.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Dealer fixed it 3 times with some kind of epoxy and it always ended up loose. So they changed the backglass. They fixed that one 3 times and the last time I smelled burning and the back glass exploded.

After 2+ months without my Jeep because glass was B.O during Covid, I retieved my Jeep, brought it to an aftermarket glass shop, they had a backglass within a day and the problem never happened again.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
The post is soldered to the grid, then the grid applied to the glass. Nothing really special or different. It's been done that way for years. They don't apply a grid and then solder the post on.

I've found that the wires on these are greatly stressed because they are TOO TIGHT when you open the glass. I ended up working the wire out a bit on ours to give some slack, otherwise the wire was actually holding the glass from going all the way up by a good inch!!

Ours was so tight it compressed the window seal when the glass was up, so I worked and worked and got some more wire from above the headliner to at least make it so the seal wasn't compressed.
Literally, when we got it, the glass didn't go all the way up - that means the pressure of those lift cylinders was pulling on that wire!!

Before (this is what causes at least some of those to bust loose!) ->

Jeep Wrangler JL Detached Defroster Wire 20230210_102255

Jeep Wrangler JL Detached Defroster Wire 1686332702189

After (this example is not ours, but this is what ours looks like after I looked at this one and pulled the wire to give it some slack) ->

Jeep Wrangler JL Detached Defroster Wire 20230213_085043_HDR

Last edited:

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Dealer fixed it 3 times with some kind of epoxy and it always ended up loose. So they changed the backglass. They fixed that one 3 times and the last time I smelled burning and the back glass exploded.

After 2+ months without my Jeep because glass was B.O during Covid, I retieved my Jeep, brought it to an aftermarket glass shop, they had a backglass within a day and the problem never happened again.
The grimlings are after you. Try and get some good karma somehow.

JerseyJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler rubicon extreme recon
Had this happen to my 22 JLURXR. Took it to the dealer under warranty. They used an epoxy that is electrically conductive to secure back on. If your out of warranty you can buy the stuff on amazon.

Sponsored

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
Super common issue. Dealer has a kit (and associated TSB) to fix it. Only covered under basic warranty, though. It's hit or miss if the epoxy kit actually keeps it attached. Usually if it falls off again we just replace the whole window

BBC54

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Rubicon 4xe
Dealership repaired mine twice before they just replaced the rear glass which solved the problem. All under warranty.
Sponsored