Sponsored

TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Well, last February I had my defrost button solder fail as so many have. They "fixed" 3 times before they ultimately replaced the back windshield.
Warranty over May 2021
Now Jan 2022- Same thing. Button solder failed and wire hanging down. I am hoping that even though my warrany was up in May, bc there was a documented problem requiring a new windshield, that they'll take care of this as well. We shall see...
Here's how someone fixed his after failed repeated attempts by the dealer:

Rear window defroster unsoldered?
Sponsored

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
This has been happening to me since I bought my Rubicon in 2018. It's now happened to me 7 times. Out of the 7 times they replaced the glass 3 times and it falls off 2-4 weeks later. It's clearly a flawed design on the 2018 and up jeeps. I've been fighting with Chrysler for months because they keep charging me deductibles. The only way they will service this as recalls is if everyone starts open Chrysler service tickets. Lets get it started. This will be my last Jeep if they don't recall it and keep giving me the run around This is my 2nd wrangler and a grand Cherokee in the past - Never had this problem with any of the others.

The best part is, when I told the Chrysler lady this is known big issue sine they released the JL, she told me she doesn't believe anything on these threads. She'll believe it when Chrysler does a recall. Great customer service over at Chrysler.

RobertoWildBunch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am on my 3rd window of which this one was fishbowl glass and not privacy glass like I had before and now I no longer have a warranty. It is the incidental things that make me never want to buy a Jeep product again ever again! New window is pointless!
Dealer epoxy is pointless!

I’m literally going to try my own epoxy / solder combo with a touch of crazy glue

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I am on my 3rd window of which this one was fishbowl glass and not privacy glass like I had before and now I no longer have a warranty. It is the incidental things that make me never want to buy a Jeep product again ever again! New window is pointless!
Dealer epoxy is pointless!

I’m literally going to try my own epoxy / solder combo with a touch of crazy glue
I’m on window 4. I’ve had it fixed about 6 times in between windows. The last one I had to open a complaint with Jeep and fight for the replacement to be under warranty. The one I have has lasted about a year and has a warranty for 2. Crossing my fingers.

I'm stunned they haven’t figured out a solution by now.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! I sure didn’t know there was a TSB on this issue.

This past summer I noticed the wire hanging down. I had repaired other in the past with a soldering iron which is NOT a good way to go. So I did find that Permatex makes a Electrically Conductive Epoxy and I went to a Parts Store and bought some.

I followed the instructions to a “T” and two months later it’s still holding.

This is not too important to me because I rarely drive my Jeep in the Salty Winters around here. But in the fall with a lot of dew and like this morning, FOG, it does help.

Sponsored

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Guys, I think I found a permanent fix: soldering the button on a cooper heatsink 1 cm x 1 cm (Amazon). Use the thickest one, solder the button, then glue the heatsink on the window. the bigger glued area increases the mechanical resistance to torsion.

heatsink final.jpg

Heatsink 2.jpg

heatsink close.jpg

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Guys, I think I found a permanent fix: soldering the button on a cooper heatsink 1 cm x 1 cm (Amazon). Use the thickest one, solder the button, then glue the heatsink on the window. the bigger glued area increases the mechanical resistance to torsion.

heatsink final.jpg

Heatsink 2.jpg

heatsink close.jpg
Hi

Any chance for some links to supplies??

Just to give some of my background with this issue....

Driving a 2021 4 door Wrangler Sahara High Altitude 4XE.....loving the ride all the time!!!

Anyways, maybe a year ago I had the rear defroster cable issue. Button came off. Dealer service department (Koons, Tysons, N Virginia) was very receptive and took it in for a repair. I think they have a 3rd party contractor to fix this. ANyways, issue fixed. Literally a few weeks later, off it comes again. Now its time for a glass replacement. Took like 2 weeks to get the part (was when the shoetgae of all parts was hitting), glass has been replaced, and no issues since.

So early December, I notice the wire dangling. Off it comes again. In to the dealer again, Im being told they can do the "solder" fix or whatever, but if this comes to glass replacement again it will not be covered. Notable to mention Im at 37K miles but I did opt for the Mopar maximum care extended warranty plan (since the 4XE was new, I wanted some piece of mind!). Of course I was told this was a bumper to bumper extended plan, which obviously is not true since the plan details that certain things are not covered such as glass. Now one can claim that the glass is fine, and that the issue is with the wire, the connector button, shitty attachment job at the factory whatever. I've seen those coiled wires and thought that maybe Jeep shold have gone for that, maybe less tension. Notable to mention that I don't recall even using the rear defroster recently at all so I'm skeptical of the connection-point-overheating theory.

Certainly not being piqued from this issue alone, but maybe this will steer me toward looking for a new vehicle.

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hi

Any chance for some links to supplies??

Just to give some of my background with this issue....

Driving a 2021 4 door Wrangler Sahara High Altitude 4XE.....loving the ride all the time!!!

Anyways, maybe a year ago I had the rear defroster cable issue. Button came off. Dealer service department (Koons, Tysons, N Virginia) was very receptive and took it in for a repair. I think they have a 3rd party contractor to fix this. ANyways, issue fixed. Literally a few weeks later, off it comes again. Now its time for a glass replacement. Took like 2 weeks to get the part (was when the shoetgae of all parts was hitting), glass has been replaced, and no issues since.

So early December, I notice the wire dangling. Off it comes again. In to the dealer again, Im being told they can do the "solder" fix or whatever, but if this comes to glass replacement again it will not be covered. Notable to mention Im at 37K miles but I did opt for the Mopar maximum care extended warranty plan (since the 4XE was new, I wanted some piece of mind!). Of course I was told this was a bumper to bumper extended plan, which obviously is not true since the plan details that certain things are not covered such as glass. Now one can claim that the glass is fine, and that the issue is with the wire, the connector button, shitty attachment job at the factory whatever. I've seen those coiled wires and thought that maybe Jeep shold have gone for that, maybe less tension. Notable to mention that I don't recall even using the rear defroster recently at all so I'm skeptical of the connection-point-overheating theory.

Certainly not being piqued from this issue alone, but maybe this will steer me toward looking for a new vehicle.
I trully believe that it’s both an issue of mecanical sheering resistance and overheating due to the small contact pactch with the window. It literally took me 30 min to do the fix, and this thing is not going anywhwere. Yesterday I fixed the two heating lines close to connector that wwere damaged by the dangling connector, so I disconnected the cable from the window. Felt solid like a rock. and FYI, the defogger was barely doing its job when working, but now it works great - heats faster than before, so I think this is also a bonus from my fix - there is a much bigger conductive surface to the grid.

One guy in the thread used a penny - I guess it should work if it’s 100% copper... Here’s the link to the heat sinks:

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-100pcs-Thermal-heatsink-Cooling/dp/B07XW9FBDN/ref=sr_1_37?crid=1Z0F3I5S57JNI&keywords=copper+heatsink&qid=1703871336&sprefix=Copper+heatsink,aps,197&sr=8-37&th=1

Jeep Wrangler JL TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass 1703871796436

and the conductive adhesive to glue the whole thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Defroster-De...rds=Defogger+tab+repair&qid=1703871440&sr=8-3

Jeep Wrangler JL TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass 1703871775174

For the rest, just solder the button on the heatsink, then glue it To the glass. Just follow the instructions to the letter for the adhesive.
Sponsored

Last edited: