First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
I’m going to upgrade to chromoly shafts both front and rear while changing gears to 5.13’s in a few weeks.

I had my mind set on a 1 piece setup, either RCV or the Yukon Gears setup. I was set on deleting the FAD trying to eliminate another potential failure point.

After multiple conversations with multiple shops I think I’m going with the RCV setup. Is RCV the right choice? Thoughts?

Question is, do I delete the FAD or keep it and run the 2 piece setup?
Sponsored

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Depends on how much you drive the jeep on the road system...I kept mine for the benefits on the highway...RCVs for the win.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
Xtremetj

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Depends on how much you drive the jeep on the road system...I kept mine for the benefits on the highway...RCVs for the win.
I don’t drive it much at all except to the trails and around town occasionally just to drive it. Otherwise it’s not a daily driver at all. only out about 4,500 miles a year on it. Which leads me to lean towards the 1 piece shaft.

Last edited:

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I originally had the 1 piece RCV’s and swapped to the 2 piece. When I had the 1 piece in, you could actually “feel” the drag on the motor when running down the freeway. I’m running a heavy Adams 1350 front driveshaft and it was enough drag on my anemic 3.6l motor that I could feel it struggle to accelerate/maintain highway speeds. I could also feel the driveshaft vibrating at highway speeds due to 6.5° of camber combining with the 3.5” lift. The shaft was balanced by Adams and the Jeep was never offroad, so I certainly didn’t knock off any balancing weights. After the shafts were swapped out to the 2 piece, the vibration was gone and it was very noticeable that the Jeep would accelerate easier to highway speeds. There’s quite a bit of rotating mass with the whole front driveline fully connected, especially with that heavy Adams shaft. Every little bit helps when we are asking these motors to push a heavy brick at 75mph.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 2 piece RCV and it’s held up well. I live in Arvada so I’m likely wheeling similar trails. Install was pretty straight forward. If you do it, purchase the RCV tube seals as well

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’m 99.9% positive you’ll never break a two piece rcv where a one piece would’ve held up. I’m all about the two piece, you can get vibration with a one piece depending on the caster. Not worth the negatives for the small strength gain

Brett

OP
OP
Xtremetj

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the input guys. I think you’ve convinced me the 2 piece shaft is the way to go. At this point I think I’ll change my order in the morning. The Jeep drives so good right now the last thing I want to do is end up vibrations.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 99.9% positive you’ll never break a two piece rcv where a one piece would’ve held up. I’m all about the two piece, you can get vibration with a one piece depending on the caster. Not worth the negatives for the small strength gain

Brett
agreed

7500 miles on my two piece shafts and i'm glad i went that route. but as listed before, the only benefits are on road.

OP
OP
Xtremetj

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank guys! I really appreciate it. I’m worse than my wife making up her mind about something for the house. I’m a wreck and don’t know what to do... lol

I’ve called more shops than you can imagine and every one of them says go 1 piece. They say that’s what they almost always do.

I’m trying to understand the drag mentioned above. Can it be any different than a TJ or JK? They didn’t have a FAD, it was a 1 piece shaft design. If you go aftermarket with an Ultimate Dana or Dynatrac axle they come with 1 piece and have eliminated the FAD.

What to do... what to do. I’m still 3 weeks out so the shop said think about it and let them know next week one way or the other to ensure they have to parts. Whichever I decide.
Sponsored