Sponsored

FAD Delete

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Any seen a Front Axle Disconnect delete yet? Solid shaft replacement? Etc?
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That type of stuff is coming, but it'll be a while. The aftermarket is trying to catch up. There's not much of anything out there for JL yet.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
My plan is to run it until it becomes an actual problem. I like the idea of it and keeping wear/ tear down on the front end. Ring gear/ driveshaft/ isn’t spinning. Only the stub shafts.

I don’t see a reason to remove it. None of my buddies ever had issue with the vacuum version on their rigs back in the day. Just a simple shift fork and huge spline collar. No big deal.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I can't visualize in my head how the differential could remain still and not spin with the driver side axle shaft being one solid piece. Seems like the spider gears or something would have to be spinning constantly which would be even worse for the diff. I'm going to have to find a model online that helps visualize this.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Necrothreading via search.....

Who's running FAD delete?

I'm seriously considering it...any problems on the highway? I've presently got the MetalCloak front CV d/s and just wondering about noise/harmonics.

I'll have to go take a drive in 4hi at highway speeds to get a feel for it. I've already got a Tazer so the electronic side is easily handled

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

I'm seriously considering it...any problems on the highway? I've presently got the MetalCloak front CV d/s and just wondering about noise/harmonics.

I'll have to go take a drive in 4hi at highway speeds to get a feel for it. I've already got a Tazer so the electronic side is easily handled
I have the rcv with fad delete. No vibes or problem for me. Roky does too with aftermarket driveshaft and his is just fine as well

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

I run the UD44 which has no FAD. No issues at any speed. Disabled the electronics side with the tazer. No issues with that either.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I run the UD44 which has no FAD. No issues at any speed. Disabled the electronics side with the tazer. No issues with that either.
Pardon my ignorance but the UD44 does not have lockouts at the wheel hubs, I'm assuming?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Pardon my ignorance but the UD44 does not have lockouts at the wheel hubs, I'm assuming?
Nope, it just has the same unit bearings as the regular 30/44. I wish they had put some lockable hubs on it! That would have been sweet. It did come with new chromoly shafts w/ 1410 U-joints.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Alright, I appreciate the replies from everyone thus far.

I'm having a hard time seeing any downside to a FAD delete on the JL (mileage doesn't much concern me and alleged wear on front end parts doesn't make sense to me as the rear has to spin 100% of the time)

I run around with my '11 SuperDuty hubs locked 95% of the time so I can have 4wd at a moment's notice (fortunately it didn't get the shitty vacuum "auto" hubs!), even on long road trips

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
When ready I’m going old school. FAD delete with lock out hubs. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: D60

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When ready I’m going old school. FAD delete with lock out hubs. Best of both worlds.
How are you planning to get manual lockouts?

But yeah, definitely best of both worlds. Too bad old stuff is now an "upgrade"

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

Teraflex made a conversion for the JK 44. Not sure about the quality of it or if they’ll make JL version.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon

I spoke with Dynatrac at the off road expo and they said I could do it now but have to change knuckles ? I’m going to wait a little bit and see what develops in the aftermarket. I might just pop the housing out have them change the long side tube to solid and 1 piece axle add lockout hubs. But I’m also thinking about maybe just changing the whole axle assembly and selling the factory Rubicon front. Dynatrac not cheap. You’re totally right it’s sad that we have to use old stuff and old ideas. I want the same set up my 79 bronco had LOL
Sponsored