Death wobble or Bump steer

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Appreciate all of your responses. I have some fox shocks going in next week as well as other goodies. Full alignment and re torque will be performed as well. Hoping one of the two fixes the issue.
Don't forget to bakance all tires.
As others have nebtioned, this is not bump steer nor DW.
Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Any thoughts on where I should start? Metalcloak 3.5 GAMECHANGER lift. Fox ats steering stabilizer. Dynatrac ball joints put in a couple of months ago along with Rcv shafts, and Reid steel knuckles. Everything seems to be tight and nothing has come loose.

Can being out of alignment cause this? PSI on tires currently at 28. 39 KM3s.

That is DW, PLEASE, do yourself a favor and save a whole bunch of $...

At the FIRST sign of DW, get to the nearest Parts store that has a SS in stock, change in the parking lot

DW is a CANCER and the longer you drive with it the more damage it does and like Cancer its Malignant, it damages your suspension. Maybe right here and now its just a weak or leaking SS and a new one will solve the issue, but the longer you wait the more damage you will incur...

DW: Start at the simple.

Inspect front shocks for leaking and do the bounce test, push down on front of fenders and let go, if the Jeep bounces the shock is going bad.

Check PSI in tires, they should equal and with enough psi to properly drive.

Check your caster and cross caster you should be 4.5-6.5. I would try 5.5 if you are at the outer or lower end and try for the middle to see if you are better or worse.

Track Bar, OEM or ? ensure its tight and if adjustable do your alignment and make sure its centered afterward unless its OEM.

How long did it start after your mods?

Last edited:

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Everything has been addressed that can be addressed. This IS DW. SS has NOTHING to do with it! Start from step 1 and work you way through every bolt. Steer your wheel left and right parked while you check every bolt and joint something is loose. Also 2 key points ball joints can be to spec and look seated but there can be a gap on top between the knuckle and joint this can be eliminated by adding a small washer. Also which is probably your issue if not alignment lower TB bolt hole or lower DL bolt hole. They can wobble out of round and bolt is to spec but not tight. You can get a relo bracket and turn it into a high steer or weld a small plate front and back and drill another hole, I've don't both.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Hey brother, it’s cold AF up there, I think your rig is just shivering 🥶 ……. That looks like a toe issue, of course I’m just spitballing like everyone else, hard to diag via the web, lol….if it’s not already, try 1/16” toe in….
Hahah yup single digits yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion Roky!!! Long time! Hope all is well.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Current set up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Death wobble or Bump steer 04461498-3FE2-472D-9F5F-2DC24AF7A7D1

Jeep Wrangler JL Death wobble or Bump steer B283C888-1B2B-4694-B356-A9FDF378BBC2

122A5304-160F-41BC-9883-3A361AABBD95.jpeg

6FC10234-F8EF-4C96-B776-D371BEC3BC91.jpeg

862CFDAD-E1AF-4E4C-A9C0-1A5A864DC56E.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
We still can’t seem to find the problem with the DW…. :headbang:
Everything has been loosen and retightened To spec. Adjusted caster to 6.5, then to 7 degrees, back down to 5.7. then toed in, then toed in a little more to factory specs, it got worse. now toed back out, caster back at 5.7 degrees. adjusted steering stabilizer adjustment to hard, then to soft, now back to hard setting....still there. Re-balancing tires again to see if it was off from last time. We shook the vehicle in all directions to check for play in the ball joints and tie rod ends and everything seemed good.

we are seeing play in the output shaft of the gear box.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Update: After idk how many alignments (probably like 7), we decided to remove the Fox ATS SS and replace it with the factory SS on the factory location and DW disappeared. I know many keep mentioning that the SS is just a bandaid, but what if the SS is an essential component to the JLs, especially now with the electronic steering…

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Still running the stock SS and is it working out? I was thinking about getting the Fox ATS but now you have me worried. Currently running the steer smarts SS.
Sponsored