Dead Battery

Adventurer62

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
We are towing our 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara behind an RV. We have a Blue-Ox light kit installed and an after-market trailer light kit installed with a for towing with the jeep. Seems we can go about 5 hours without needing to jump the jeep when we get there. After 5 hours we need to jump, after 2 days the battery is down to 3.4 volts and needs a serious jump. I do not have a battery maintainer installed but am considering it. Any suggestions or experience with this issues? Also the GPS died when the battery died and wont reset; the compass is off by 180 degrees and the GPS thinks i'm 5 states away.
Sponsored

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
We are towing our 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara behind an RV. We have a Blue-Ox light kit installed and an after-market trailer light kit installed with a for towing with the jeep. Seems we can go about 5 hours without needing to jump the jeep when we get there. After 5 hours we need to jump, after 2 days the battery is down to 3.4 volts and needs a serious jump. I do not have a battery maintainer installed but am considering it. Any suggestions or experience with this issues? Also the GPS died when the battery died and wont reset; the compass is off by 180 degrees and the GPS thinks i'm 5 states away.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
The standard way to keep the battery alive is to have a wire between the two - battery to battery. Then the Jeep battery will have the same voltage as the RV. Any dealer that sets up a flat tow shoud be able to do the change. It also is a simple DIY deal as well.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We are towing our 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara behind an RV. We have a Blue-Ox light kit installed and an after-market trailer light kit installed with a for towing with the jeep. Seems we can go about 5 hours without needing to jump the jeep when we get there. After 5 hours we need to jump, after 2 days the battery is down to 3.4 volts and needs a serious jump. I do not have a battery maintainer installed but am considering it. Any suggestions or experience with this issues?
As written, your post suggests that the lights are being powered via a total-loss connection to the Wrangler's main battery. If so, you might consider replacing it with a battery designed for deep cycling.

It's surprising that the existing battery (presumably the OEM AGM unit?), having been recurringly drained well below 9 volts, is capable of restoration with any jump starting. That's killing it on the installment plan.

Sponsored

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Never had this problem with my 18 Rubicon, I have towed it 45,000 miles as long as 9 hours non stop. Something is not right.