Could this have solved steering issues?

Rubitex18

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So I was just scrolling YouTube as I anxiously await my JLUR to leave the factory and came across this video from Jeep Informant.

Now, I already knew what issues to look for when my Jeep arrives but this gives me an idea of what direction to go if there is a lose steering feel when mine gets here (may not notice since I’ve dealt with it on my lofted JK for so long. Lol). I would probably opt for adjustable control arms instead of caster bolts though.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Personally, I wouldn't touch any hardware until you've gotten a few thousand miles on it, and you've tried having the PCM/vehicle calibrations updated.

I think too many people are jumping the gun on this one. And, I agree, there is no way in hell I'm taking a cutting tool to welded bracketry on a brand new Jeep. Adjustable control arms are the way to go if you really want to mess with your caster.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Good advice--

There are many variables in your JL steering--some can cause excessive play and wandering-

Ball joint low/no torque/toe-in minimum/high front tire air pressure/steering box defects--

It just ain't simple nomo !

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Oh look...another steering issue thread...

Yeah, if you're going to start cutting up your Jeep, then you should go ahead and cancel your order or get a new vehicle. Are people really not considering their warranty when doing this stuff? Sorry, but it's getting ridiculous.

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
I just added the Yeti Smart steer adjustable track bar and It made a huge difference with my mopar lift and 35's I can drive down the road with one finger and not wandering or anything. The steering feels way tighter too.

Sponsored

PunknZ

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I just added the Yeti Smart steer adjustable track bar and It made a huge difference with my mopar lift and 35's I can drive down the road with one finger and not wandering or anything. The steering feels way tighter too.
For a newbie what does a track bar do?

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
For a newbie what does a track bar do?
It centers the axle from side to side. When using the Mopar lift your axles are not center they are shifted a little

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Their website doesn't show they have one available for the JL. How did you get one?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It centers the axle from side to side. When using the Mopar lift your axles are not center they are shifted a little
I think I understand. When lifting the jeep 2” you basically need a longer track bar otherwise the stock trackbar is pulling the axle toward the driver side because it’s too short. You also need to lengthen the steering drag link to center the steering wheel.

Why would the mopar lift not include a longer trackbar or relocation bracket?

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
Their website doesn't show they have one available for the JL. How did you get one?
I got mine from a buddy that owns a shop he stated that they will be on their website soon.

Sponsored

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
I think I understand. When lifting the jeep 2” you basically need a longer track bar otherwise the stock trackbar is pulling the axle toward the driver side because it’s too short. You also need to lengthen the steering drag link to center the steering wheel.

Why would the mopar lift not include a longer trackbar or relocation bracket?
not sure why they didn't have one in the kit

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
So I was just scrolling YouTube as I anxiously await my JLUR to leave the factory and came across this video from Jeep Informant.

Now, I already knew what issues to look for when my Jeep arrives but this gives me an idea of what direction to go if there is a lose steering feel when mine gets here (may not notice since I’ve dealt with it on my lofted JK for so long. Lol). I would probably opt for adjustable control arms instead of caster bolts though.
How ironic, this is the video I suggested be posted in my return email yesterday for confirming my new membership ! ! !
Hi to all . . . I am Lou (Lou2.0) and have been actively researching (here & just about everywhere else) all the ups-n'-downs with the JL, oh, perhaps from the very outset. Along with the RAM 1500 DT (at 5th GEN.), which has/had(?) been my 1st choice, I am now leaning toward the JL.(?) Decisions decisions !

Thinking about this video a lot since yesterdays viewing and seeing the Software Fix(s) attempts by FCA and I can't help but wonder? The video shows - Obviously - the need for some mechanical changes to a Part or 2; and at the very least some minor Adjustments in the "weak links" in the build -- bushings, thread counts, bolt diameter ? THESE are all things FCA MUST acknowledge as possibilities, at the very least, IMHO, for Safety is THE most important outcome!
Sure, perhaps a Software "fix" MAY temporarily give a False Impression - wa-la, done, but IT alone can not fix Physical Faults with Mechanical Problems, period . . . irregardless of THIS or any other "problems" in the World. Eventually these PARTS only get more wear & tear!

So, I know FCA (and every other Corporation) has a "bottom line" and "Money" more often than not, Unfortunately," seems to take precedence over "doing the right thing"! I want to believe that the new mgmt. at FCA will eventually (sooner rather than after someone gets hurt or dies) get to the "Right Solution"!

Just a quick note about me, since I am already "here" -- I am a Retired (2004) Navy enlistee (E6) from the "East Coast" who has relocated (after retirement) to Washington State -- long story, perhaps another time. Currently loving my WK2 75th Trail Rated Laredo, which replaced my 2003 RAM 1500 SLT Hemi. Oh, Lou is my name and fly fishing is my "game" - FlyFinaticLou is what my friends refer me as, lovingly I hope! Ha !
Sponsored