My Steering Issues Have Been Fixed!

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
It would only cancel warranty on directly related components. So it could potentially affect coverage on steering or front suspension. All engine and transmission items would still be covered. There's no such thing as a blanket void for warranty as many dealers/manufactures want you to think. It's protected under federal law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

As for making caster adjustment. Instead of using a caster bolt, wouldn't the same result be able to be achieved by using an adjustable lower control arm, such as that found on the EVO budge boost (stage 2 or higher)?
I thought that was settled in another thread; while the factory warranty is as you say, the lifetime "warranty" is not considered the same at all and is not covered by that ACT because it is technically not a warranty. I am pretty sure the mopar lifetime "warranty" can be completely cancelled if the dealer chooses to report a significant modification and if FCA chooses to enforce the contract clause prohibiting any modifications the vehicle was not designed for.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I thought that was settled in another thread; while the factory warranty is as you say, the lifetime "warranty" is not considered the same at all and is not covered by that ACT because it is technically not a warranty. I am pretty sure the mopar lifetime "warranty" can be completely cancelled if the dealer chooses to report a significant modification and if FCA chooses to enforce the contract clause prohibiting any modifications the vehicle was not designed for.
I wonder how they prorate the refund of a lifetime warranty? What is the expected “lifetime” of a Wrangler?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
What is the expected “lifetime” of a Wrangler?
Roll of the dice , friend .

The old mechanical Jeeps in West Virginia would be maintained forever , because the shady tree mechanics knew their stuff .

The new electronic Jeeps in Cali have the disadvantage of moron dealer techs who cannot be expected to know .

skybolt551

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
OK guys I've been working on these things along time . Here's what you do about the steering problems. I just bought a 2018 JL with steering problems.
1) reduce the tire pressure to about 35 lbs helps a little
2check sway bar attach points for bad welds very few have had this
3 loosen and re torque control arm
4check all ball joint nuts for proper toque 70 # per Chrysler spec you can move the nut to fit the carter pin this helps a little
5 TSB # 08-092-18 Flash PCM if your VIN number is not included call JL help they will tell the dealer to do it this sometimes fixes the problem.
if these things do not fix the problem... you need to have the steering box adjuster increased by 1/8 turn in, the Jeep dealer will not want to do this you have to start calling up the Jeep chain of command. This will solve the problem. There have been several people have to get to the vice president of Chrysler Jeep to get it approved. The new steering box does not solve the problem. If Jeep will not do it you can have it done but it could void your warranty.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
OK guys I've been working on these things along time . Here's what you do about the steering problems. I just bought a 2018 JL with steering problems.
1) reduce the tire pressure to about 35 lbs helps a little
2check sway bar attach points for bad welds very few have had this
3 loosen and re torque control arm
4check all ball joint nuts for proper toque 70 # per Chrysler spec you can move the nut to fit the carter pin this helps a little
5 TSB # 08-092-18 Flash PCM if your VIN number is not included call JL help they will tell the dealer to do it this sometimes fixes the problem.
if these things do not fix the problem... you need to have the steering box adjuster increased by 1/8 turn in, the Jeep dealer will not want to do this you have to start calling up the Jeep chain of command. This will solve the problem. There have been several people have to get to the vice president of Chrysler Jeep to get it approved. The new steering box does not solve the problem. If Jeep will not do it you can have it done but it will void your warranty.
Hope this helps
However, adjusting the steering box lash does not work on some steering boxes, at least some prior to the AD revision. I have not heard of lash adjustment failing on the AD revision yet.

Sponsored

skybolt551

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
However, adjusting the steering box lash does not work on some steering boxes, at least some prior to the AD revision. I have not heard of lash adjustment failing on the AD revision yet.
Lash adjustment works great on the AD revision but it doesn't always come that way.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh, so they're offering lifetime conditional service, not warranty. If it's a service plan offered in addition to the standard warranty, then they probably can void it. It's a bit shady calling it a warranty though.
When I bought mine, my dealer offered lifetime warranty but I had to have all my service done there for it to be valid. I didn't pay much attention because I'm not paying dealership prices for service (I do my own) so I figured that offer wasn't going to apply to me anyway. I assumed this was an offer by that dealership, but it sounds like this is the same conditional service plan offered to all Jeep owners under the guise of "lifetime warranty". Nice :mad:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Oh, so they're offering lifetime conditional service, not warranty. If it's a service plan offered in addition to the standard warranty, then they probably can void it. It's a bit shady calling it a warranty though.
When I bought mine, my dealer offered lifetime warranty but I had to have all my service done there for it to be valid. I didn't pay much attention because I'm not paying dealership prices for service (I do my own) so I figured that offer wasn't going to apply to me anyway. I assumed this was an offer by that dealership, but it sounds like this is the same conditional service plan offered to all Jeep owners under the guise of "lifetime warranty". Nice :mad:
You are right. It’s a Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan Lifetime Maximum Plan. Nowhere in the brochure do they call it a “warranty”. This is sold as an extended warranty against manufacturer defects.

But this is different than a maintenance plan which covers scheduled service like oil changes, etc. not covered by warranty, also offered by FCA and third party plans.

Sponsored

Mark7411

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Not sure on version number. If there's a way to find it, let me know and I'll post that up.

Basically, ANY update of your PCM should fix you up if you've got the steering issue because the calibration that's on the Jeep when it leaves the factory is wrong. So when they do the flash for your VIN, by default it changes the calibrations to where they should be, one of which is the steering.
Does this also go for the 2019 Sport Jl. I noticed loose steering.

Mark7411

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Same question, I've had mine a week and I have noticed the steering "wanders" quite a bit, I was hoping that was corrected in the 2019 model.
Just spoke with the Jeep dealership and they told me that there is an open recall for the steering dampener. Not sure if it’ll fix this problem though

Gradofan

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2dr
Just spoke with the Jeep dealership and they told me that there is an open recall for the steering dampener. Not sure if it’ll fix this problem though
I did... it doesn't...

Gradofan

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2dr
Dannko: It is best to have the dealership make this adjustment vs doing it on your own.
The dealership will not adjust it - I tried to get them to do it, and they took me out to the shop and showed me they were unable to do so. Though, they did not us a heat gun to melt the locktite on the screw to allow them to adjust it - because the TSB from FCA tells them not to adjust it.

Wish FCA would issue a revised TSB to allow them to tighten up the steering box - the wandering will not be eliminated until they do so.

Or - IF YOU KNOW WHO TO CONTACT AT FCA TO ALLOW THIS ADJUSTMENT BY THE DEALER - I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate that information....
Sponsored