JLUR

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Did you have the steering box adjusted yet? Here is an excellent video about the adjustment:

Are you saying that 1/8" turn to point should fix most all? What does this do to the box?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Are you saying that 1/8" turn to point should fix most all? What does this do to the box?
It adjusts the lash between the sector gear and ball nut. The sector gear is cut on a taper. The screw pushes it down so the wider end of the gear teeth are more engaged, reducing lash.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It adjusts the lash between the sector gear and ball nut. The sector gear is cut on a taper. The screw pushes it down so the wider end of the gear teeth are more engaged, reducing lash.
Dannko: It is best to have the dealership make this adjustment vs doing it on your own.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I don’t think there is a better video to explain the issues and sequentially go through all potential fixes. Ultimately thefix required adding castor, which requires modification to the lower control arm and a JK adjustment cam, and adjusting the steering box lash. He also had an awesome trick to adjust the steering box regardless of whether the Allen screw is stripped!

Once again...pretty pissed that FCA went out of their way to make it near impossible to make simple adjustments that would be required throughout the life of the vehicle...

Cheers

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I don’t think there is a better video to explain the issues and sequentially go through all potential fixes. Ultimately thefix required adding castor, which requires modification to the lower control arm and a JK adjustment cam, and adjusting the steering box lash. He also had an awesome trick to adjust the steering box regardless of whether the Allen screw is stripped!

Once again...pretty pissed that FCA went out of their way to make it near impossible to make simple adjustments that would be required throughout the life of the vehicle...

Cheers
It is a good analysis and review and logical approach to solving mechanical factors effecting steering. finally after several months of discussions JeepInformant does a through job of looking into the mechanical factors.
And I suppose FCA lifetime warranty would be cancelled if they found out you made this mod to enable castor adjustment. I also guess that Jeep will not permit dealers to do the same under the factory warranty even if no other fix for the steering problem works.

Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I’m not sure I understand the method he used to turn the Allen screw. Is he just tightening the nut down more which also places then Allen screw down farther into the gearbox?

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dropped my JL Rubicon off this morning to my local dealer to fix my wandering speedometer issues.

They have known about my steering issues since I bought it new in April. Wandering on the road, and dead spot of about an inch in each direction from dead center (basically all the issues everyone has been talking about).

The Lead Tech working on my JL today found a new TSB that came out last night and applied the update to mine.

He explained it to me that the hydro-assist was turned down from 0 to -8 in my Rubicon.

I got in and immediately noticed that the steering was a little more difficult to turn, but not bad. I would say if is was 100% before it might me 150% now.

My dead spot is GONE, and it drives straight! Feels like any other SUV or truck that I have driven.

I do not have a TSB number, and it is not listed on my paperwork.

I wanted to let everyone know if you are having the steering issues to get it to your local dealer and have them apply/flash the steering update.
That’s great!

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I’m not sure I understand the method he used to turn the Allen screw. Is he just tightening the nut down more which also places then Allen screw down farther into the gearbox?
No, it's not a simple set screw. It has a button thing on the end that slots into the sector shaft. It will not unscrew from the steering box cover. He backs the jam nut out until the set screw stops, then turns it a bit more. I would highly recommend a bit of heat before turning it to break the Loctite. A micro butane torch works good for this.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
No, it's not a simple set screw. It has a button thing on the end that slots into the sector shaft. It will not unscrew from the steering box cover. He backs the jam nut out until the set screw stops, then turns it a bit more. I would highly recommend a bit of heat before turning it to break the Loctite. A micro butane torch works good for this.
Ahh thank you! He’s using the “button thing” in the sector shaft to exert the force needed to move the set screw and break the red locktite.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.....And I suppose FCA lifetime warranty would be cancelled if they found out you made this mod to enable castor adjustment. .....
It would only cancel warranty on directly related components. So it could potentially affect coverage on steering or front suspension. All engine and transmission items would still be covered. There's no such thing as a blanket void for warranty as many dealers/manufactures want you to think. It's protected under federal law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

As for making caster adjustment. Instead of using a caster bolt, wouldn't the same result be able to be achieved by using an adjustable lower control arm, such as that found on the EVO budge boost (stage 2 or higher)?
Sponsored