TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Following is the exact quote from the instructions that ship with each kit. Not sure how we can be any more clear on what our recommendation is:

Step 2: Install the Mount into the Jeep
Remove the trim screw as shown in Figure 1 using a T20 Torx screwdriver. Using a 3/8-16 tap, thread the boss for the short bolt provided in the Cool Tech kit. (Note: Although we prefer you to create these threads using a tap, some owners choose to install this self-threading bolt using a 9/16” socket attached to an electric hammer/driver drill.)
I nearly tried installing the self-tapping bolt by hand as well... but it was this specific instruction that sent me off to my local Home Depot. I may have spent $20 on the tap and handle, but it made the installation super simple.

Some things just aren't worth trying to short-cut.
Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Let's do this. I'll give 25% off to the first person to order with intention of validating fitment with soft top. If it fits, you got a great deal and if it doesn't fit I'll issue a full refund and a return shipping label.

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Let's do this. I'll give 25% off to the first person to order with intention of validating fitment with soft top. If it fits, you got a great deal and if it doesn't fit I'll issue a full refund and a return shipping label.
I am game, just show me the way to do the order. Your link. PM me if you want.

Sponsored

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I’m game let me know if the first person does not work out! I just need to know how to place order!

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
mikej - Thanks for your feedback and install pic. We also recommend the 3/8-16 tap - readily available from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The "boss" that you will tap does not require any pre-drilling. Trying to get the supplied "self tapping" bolt to go by hand will not work, however, we have seen shops install with a drill hammer/driver. Our preference is the tried and true tapping method although it takes a few more minutes.

Ron-H - Good point about the Halotron agent. As you point out it is not corrosive like the more common (less expensive) agents. H3R makes a 3" diameter HG250R - available on Amazon for $186 whereas the more common MX250 is ~$85. Decisions, decisions....
Will the 3" mentioned above fit your mounting kit? If not, what size Halotron should I be looking for that would fit? Thank you very much!

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks to Brew211, we now have confirmation that our mount will work for both Hardtop and Soft tops. When the Soft top is in the up position, there is plenty of clearance. When the soft top is down there is still clearance but you can make contact due to side to side flexibility of the top. It shouldn't be an issue at all as the mount is very rigid.

Attached are a couple of pics Brew211 sent us.

IMG-1385.jpg

IMG-1386.jpg

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CoolTech , thanks for the shout-out!

I installed a 3lb extinguisher on your mount and it works perfect on both my soft top and hardtop. The extinguisher needs to be rotated about 45 deg in the mount so the soft top braces won't hit the extinguisher lever when retracting the top to the down position. Once in the down position the bracing does rub and slide on the lower part of the extinguisher (below the bottom extinguisher mount as seen in the photo below) but it does NOT harm the bracing as there plenty of 'play' in the soft top. The soft top lockout lever still works and the top does not have any movement when locked out. I am 100% confident the little contact the extinguisher has with the soft top bracing will not be a problem. I would recommend this product to my friends.
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1429.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
@CoolTech , thanks for the shout-out!

I installed a 3lb extinguisher on your mount and it works perfect on both my soft top and hardtop. The extinguisher needs to be rotated about 45 deg in the mount so the soft top braces won't hit the extinguisher lever when retracting the top to the down position. Once in the down position the bracing does rub and slide on the lower part of the extinguisher (below the bottom extinguisher mount as seen in the photo below) but it does NOT harm the bracing as there plenty of 'play' in the soft top. The soft top lockout lever still works and the top does not have any movement when locked out. I am 100% confident the little contact the extinguisher has with the soft top bracing will not be a problem. I would recommend this product to my friends.
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1429.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg
Is that just a standard 3lb or one of the h3r ones? Was curious if only the h3r extinguishers fit

Sponsored

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I put in a non-H3R extinguisher and fits great. I believe its any 2" extinguisher.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that just a standard 3lb or one of the h3r ones? Was curious if only the h3r extinguishers fit
Non H3R halotron extinguisher. Any one will work, it just has to be 3" in diameter.