First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
I've always wanted to mount a fire extinguisher on to the Jeep's roll bar but just can not seem to find the wright looking one especially one that will use the Quick Release type that comes with the Extinguishers. I don't like complex or bulky contraptions or Velcro. This was the reason I decided to fabricate a mount that can work with the single quick release strap that are typically included with ABC and Automotive type extinguishers.

Here is my DIY write up on fabricating a mount for a standard 2.5 lbs automotive fire Extinguisher.

It is not necessary to Weld or use a stainless plate. The quick release extinguisher bracket could be fasten directly to the "L" bracket directly using screws or rivets.

Originally, I was going to use 6061 aluminum but decided to go with stainless steel as they are easy to weld and the "L" shape brackets are readily available on Amazon. Aluminum L bracket would be much thicker and bulkier.

Here are the parts:
Amerex B417TC Extinguisher (Amazon)
2x L Brackets rated at 36 lbs. (Amazon)
2x Stainless steel M8x20 screws. (Amazon)
4x 3/16 Rivets. (Lowes)
Rivet gun, can be obtain from Amazon or Lowes.
Stainless sheet plate. I used 1/16" but would recommend to use 1/8". 2.5" x 6" (OnlineMetals.com)
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar L1010412.JPG

Start by boring out the 2nd hole from the inside on the longer side of the "L" bracket with 5/16" Cobalt Drill. Make sure to use a Cobalt drill bit when drilling stainless steel.

Locate the rear 8mm screw holes on the rear roll bar of the Jeep. Test fit the "L" bracket and make sure they are parallel with each other. See picture:
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar Brackets

It is not necessary to weld or use a stainless plate. The quick release bracket can be fastened directly on to the "L" bracket with screws or rivets.
Optional:
Test fit the 2.5"x 6" stainless plate with the fire extinguisher on the roll bar to determine the right location. Once the optimal placement is determine, use C-clamps to hold everything together as a complete assembly.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar L1010417.JPG

Optional:
Use MIG or TIG to weld the plate to the "L" brackets. Be careful not to warp the plate when welding. After everything cools, cut and trim the "L" bracket of excess metal. Here is a picture after welding the plate and trimming it. I used a grinder with a cutting wheel to cut and trim excess metal off the bracket.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar L1010422.JPG

Test fit again on to the roll bar with the included fire extinguisher quick release bracket and mark the holes.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar L1010426.JPG

Next attach the quick release bracket to the plate. I choose to use aluminum rivets to fasten the quick release bracket on to the stainless plate but it could also be fasten with screws. Make sure to choose 4 holes that are spaced farthest apart from each other to add better stability. I drill the holes with Cobalt 3/16" bit because I will be using a 3/16 rivet. Here is what it looks like after riveting the entire assembly together.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar Rivets

Now attach the entire assembly back on to the roll bar and install the fire extinguisher. Here is what the finish product looks like.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar L1010430.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar L1010431.JPG

The hard top does fit over with plenty of space.

Here is the link to the video:

Good luck.
RT
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
May I ask why the passenger's side? Seems you need to run around from the driver's side to retrieve it. I mounted mine using existing holes (via a make up plate and a couple spacers) in my JT.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar IMG_20210209_103054

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
May I ask why the passenger's side? Seems you need to run around from the driver's side to retrieve it. I mounted mine using existing holes (via a make up plate and a couple spacers) in my JT.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Fire Extinguisher stainless mount on rear roll bar IMG_20210209_103054
Good point. I has been mounting them on the passenger on both my UTVs because I can just reach back to grab them. On the Jeep however, its a bit too far to reach from the dirver's seat. I probably should move it to the driver side.

RT
Sponsored