OP
OP
blackrock

blackrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bright White
Most of my off-roading is forest service roads or entrances to mines. I have never towed more than a small utility trailer with my ram or hauled anything more than a pallet of sod. I need the truck bed to haul samples of coal/rock/soil I don’t want getting the cab dirty. I would plan to get a bed cover and try to keep the dust to a minimum. Just test drove the JT and it rides very smooth. I was extremely surprised how quiet the soft top was. Seats were very comfortable, don’t love the orange trim details of the Mojave. Automatic trans is definitely an upgrade from my manual JLUR. Just have to decide if I want to get rid of the jeep as a purely fun vehicle and DD the JT
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Every truck in the class has a 5' bed. As already pointed out, full size truck beds are standard at 5.5', with longer ones being optional. I've hauled everything in my JT bed that I used to haul in my Ram, Ford, etc. beds.

As long as you are enjoying yours then all is good. Nothing will ever convince me that anything less than a 6 foot is a standard truck bed. I don't get caught up in the marketing that may have some consumers thinking otherwise.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLUR and had a JTR. Would I buy another JT, yes, but it would have to be diesel. My JT with the 3.6, struggled when pulling our light travel trailer out west. By light, the trailer was under 3200lbs loaded. I do miss the bed of the JT and the towing capacity though.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
As long as you are enjoying yours then all is good. Nothing will ever convince me that anything less than a 6 foot is a standard truck bed. I don't get caught up in the marketing that may have some consumers thinking otherwise.
Just to clarify, you're comparing to your GM Long Bed V6 in your profile?

I've had each of the three bed sizes in full size trucks of each of the big 3 over the past 20 years, my current is a DT Ram CCSB, I don't miss anything other than the ability to run a toolbox on the back, but under seat and underfloor storage makes up for that. Our only superintendents running long beds are the highway guys now, and those are HD diesels.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify, you're comparing to your GM Long Bed V6 in your profile?

I've had each of the three bed sizes in full size trucks of each of the big 3 over the past 20 years, my current is a DT Ram CCSB, I don't miss anything other than the ability to run a toolbox on the back, but under seat and underfloor storage makes up for that. Our only superintendents running long beds are the highway guys now, and those are HD diesels.
I'm comparing every truck I have ever owned. I have been a truck guy since a teenager. I find it very odd that manufacturers have shortened the beds to ridiculously short sizes the offer no real usable cargo capacity or space. All in the name of having huge double cabs.

To be fair I rather enjoy the convenience of throwing a few full size dirt bikes in the back and closing the tailgate.

This shorted bed phenomena seamed to have started with the Honda Ridgeline. then all the manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I'm comparing every truck I have ever owned. I have been a truck guy since a teenager. I find it very odd that manufacturers have shortened the beds to ridiculously short sizes the offer no real usable cargo capacity or space. All in the name of having huge double cabs.

To be fair I rather enjoy the convenience of throwing a few full size dirt bikes in the back and closing the tailgate.

This shorted bed phenomena seamed to have started with the Honda Ridgeline. then all the manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon.
My first truck was a 1990 Ranger and it had a short bed. All I needed it for was dirt bike hauling and pulling a Jetski. Didn't see the need for a full size truck. The Ranger worked great for me.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Most of my off-roading is forest service roads or entrances to mines. I have never towed more than a small utility trailer with my ram or hauled anything more than a pallet of sod. I need the truck bed to haul samples of coal/rock/soil I don’t want getting the cab dirty. I would plan to get a bed cover and try to keep the dust to a minimum. Just test drove the JT and it rides very smooth. I was extremely surprised how quiet the soft top was. Seats were very comfortable, don’t love the orange trim details of the Mojave. Automatic trans is definitely an upgrade from my manual JLUR. Just have to decide if I want to get rid of the jeep as a purely fun vehicle and DD the JT
Sounds like it would fit well for you. Some people are just trolling. Not everybody needs a 25’ long dually diesel truck, nor does that make sense for people that live in a city. I liked the space of my Expedition but didn’t want a Ram or anything that big again because of where I live.
I DD my truck and take it on all our trips. Works pretty well for my use case.
I haven’t towed with it, but I think people get too hung up on horsepower wars. You clearly can tow quite a bit as people show on here. It may struggle going up mountain grades towing but most trucks will.
Until recently the 3.6 with auto would’ve been considered pretty strong. It’s fun to have 400 horsepower but you also don’t really need it.
I was trying to wait for the diesel and bought my gasser right before they announced them. Now, I’m pretty happy with it because I don’t think I’d treat it well. I take multiple very short trips around town.
So unless I was just doing long drives to get the EGR up to temp I would be worried about problems anyway.
I don’t feel like I am missing any power.
I put reliability above all else, I know most haven’t had issues with their diesel but I’m just going through my thought process if that helps anybody.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first truck was a 1990 Ranger and it had a short bed. All I needed it for was dirt bike hauling and pulling a Jetski. Didn't see the need for a full size truck. The Ranger worked great for me.

That's cool. You actually had a 6' bed on that truck which was good for it's size.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put reliability above all else
Paul, If that was the case then Wranglers are probably not the best choice. Just sayin'....

Some people are just trolling. Not everybody needs a 25’ long dually diesel truck, nor does that make sense for people that live in a city.
Depends on what it's being used for. The local Rolling Coal crews around my area are getting them just for flash and not function. For pulling a fifth wheel triple axle toy hauler to the desert races every weekend it makes perfect sense.

The whole point of a Jeep Wrangler is to downsize. With the recent introduction of the JT Gladiator they are getting larger. IMHO, still not large enough to consider it a truck.

In all honesty it's what makes you happy and serves your purpose that really counts. I went back and forth trying to think up of what my next vehicle is going to be. I have settled on keeping my truck and getting something smaller for my wife and I. Thus the standard 2 door Wrangler rubicon

If I ever do replace my truck it will be with another truck with at least a 6.5' standard bed. That's just me though.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Currently considering trading my Ram 1500 and 2020 JLUR in. Would consolidate down to a JT Mojave. I LOVE my JLUR, sky one touch top is one of my all time favorite features. I need a truck for work and have the ability to trade in the jeep for essentially what I bought it for. Thoughts? Anyone here made this move? If so how is it working for you?
I traded my JL with JT Mohave m/t. No regrets.

Last edited:

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
The JT is not a truck. In fact anything with less than a 6' bed is not considered a truck. The JT was introduced as a marketing ploy to meet he demand of those who are overloading their vehicles for the "overlanding" craze that has taken over the world.
It's best in class. Less than 6ft? There have been plenty if mid size trucks with 5 foot beds. It wouldn't make sense to make it a 6 foot bed on an offroad midsize truck. It's good for what it was made for. Full size trucks are not as good on trails due to their size.

This post makes 0 sense.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's best in class. Less than 6ft? There have been plenty if mid size trucks with 5 foot beds. It wouldn't make sense to make it a 6 foot bed on an offroad midsize truck. It's good for what it was made for. Full size trucks are not as good on trails due to their size.

This post makes 0 sense.
Hmm JT over 137" wheelbase compared to my 119" and over 44' turning diameter compared to my 40' is better on the trails? :LOL::CWL:

Let's roll into Big Bear and navigate up to Holcomb Creek Trail East to Yellow Post 34 and see who has to back up first to make the turns!!

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now all my weak arguments aside, If you are looking for a capable rig for more stable high speed desert and on road comfort this might be a great choice.
Sponsored