Clicking noise when turning.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
So I only tightened the bottom ball joint nuts and the noise is gone. Factory spec for upper is 55ft lbs and 33ft lbs for the lower. I called dealer and that’s what they told me.

33ft lbs is not that much..in fact I checked passenger said with torque wrench and was already there so I only just snugged it up a tad more. Driver side I used an adjustable box wrench and tightened it since..I wouldn’t go torquing down to heavy on them. We might be just masking another issue with them.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer just called me and mine is now fixed. They were having trouble figuring out the issue so I linked this thread to the service manager I've been working with. Just like another poster said, he said the lower ball joint on both sides turned about 3/4 a turn and was making the metallic pinging noise while tightening it. Once torqued down they drove it and problem is gone. He mentioned they had another Jeep in the shop with the same issue that this fix also corrected. So if you run into this maybe link your dealer to this thread.

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
Got mine back from the dealer as well, had to push checking and tightening the ball joints, but it worked. I really wonder how wide spread this is going to get? Seems a little crazy.

I would guess its effecting a lot more people, that either dont have the windows down much or always have the music up.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I would guess its effecting a lot more people, that either dont have the windows down much or always have the music up.
I'm curious as well.

It's VERY audible with the windows down but with them up, driving, or with music you can't hear it.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would have never heard it had it not been my sweetie telling me it was clicking, I normally back out of the garage and then swing back up so she can get in and that’s when she told me what she heard, so after telling me I rolled down the window and turned off the 747 jet airplane fan and cranked down the tunes and it’s a very dinstincting click so I am now wondering if this will turn into a service bulletin or possibly a recall being it’s the ball joints which to me being loose is a safety concern.

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s

On the bright side, fortunately for me there is this wonderful forums where I am able to diagnose every problem they come across on their Jeeps! Unfortunately for me, I seem to have every one of them. I this case, I also had the clicking noise in my front end. I just noticed it about a week ago and it seemed to get progressively worse, as if something was loosening up. For reference, my jeep isa 2018 JLU Sport. At 1000 miles I upgraded my stock sport tires and rims to 33x12.5x17 tires and a 17x9 rim. The Jeep currently has 2400 miles on it.

So instead of taking the Jeep to the dealer, which I’ve had recent bad experience with in dealing for other issues, I decided to tackle this problem myself.

I did not have a torque wrench, I instead used a box end wrench as well as a 1/2 drive socket wrench and socket. When I took the cotterpin out, they were pretty much ruined, so if you do this yourself you’re gonna need some replacement cotter pins to resecure the crown nut. The nut is 22mm and once the cotter pin is removed, I tightened the nuts down significantly. Probably past the factory specs. The bottom nuts were looser than the top ones, but they all got tightened and the cotterpins replaced.

This would be easier to do with the wheel side removed, because the cotterpin access can be a pain depending on which way the ball joint is rotated.

I attached two videos; one showing the noise that I was hearing, and the second showing the ball joints and explanation. Hopefully you all found this helpful!

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase

On the bright side, fortunately for me there is this wonderful forums where I am able to diagnose every problem they come across on their Jeeps! Unfortunately for me, I seem to have every one of them. I this case, I also had the clicking noise in my front end. I just noticed it about a week ago and it seemed to get progressively worse, as if something was loosening up. For reference, my jeep isa 2018 JLU Sport. At 1000 miles I upgraded my stock sport tires and rims to 33x12.5x17 tires and a 17x9 rim. The Jeep currently has 2400 miles on it.

So instead of taking the Jeep to the dealer, which I’ve had recent bad experience with in dealing for other issues, I decided to tackle this problem myself.

I did not have a torque wrench, I instead used a box end wrench as well as a 1/2 drive socket wrench and socket. When I took the cotterpin out, they were pretty much ruined, so if you do this yourself you’re gonna need some replacement cotter pins to resecure the crown nut. The nut is 22mm and once the cotter pin is removed, I tightened the nuts down significantly. Probably past the factory specs. The bottom nuts were looser than the top ones, but they all got tightened and the cotterpins replaced.

This would be easier to do with the wheel side removed, because the cotterpin access can be a pain depending on which way the ball joint is rotated.

I attached two videos; one showing the noise that I was hearing, and the second showing the ball joints and explanation. Hopefully you all found this helpful!

Great post. Same results from my dealer.

jerseyJL

First Name
vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU rubicon
I love this place. I was able to tighten the ball joint nut on my own and the clicking went away. Bad news is I broke the cotter pin. I’m sure it’s fine for a day or two. Till I can get another. Home Depot didn’t have any. Thank you everyone.

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
I'm getting a similar click. JL sport s, 3 weeks in ownership, at 700km. While in 4 low( so slow speeds), i get a rapid clicking in my steering column sounds almost electrical in nature, yet at the same time these videos are making me think its this. It happens when i'm turning most often, but impacts to the suspension( coming down off a rock) or a rough trail exacerbate the frequency of it happening. 4 high no noise, 2wheel no noise. It really wigs me out, what if something dies while i am in the bush? Ill be taking mine in this next weekend, as they owe me a a detail.

Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Got back from the dealership. They told me the clicking noise was coming from my lift kit...since I put it on myself they wanted to charge me to look at it. I explained to them about this forum page and also that I looked over every bolt that I put on in terms of the lift kit. They didn't give a shit.
I'll be tightening these ball joints down myself...

jerseyJL

First Name
vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU rubicon
Got back from the dealership. They told me the clicking noise was coming from my lift kit...since I put it on myself they wanted to charge me to look at it. I explained to them about this forum page and also that I looked over every bolt that I put on in terms of the lift kit. They didn't give a shit.
I'll be tightening these ball joints down myself...
My dealer told me the same thing and I told them the same as well. Yesterday, I took the wheel off and tightened the lower ball joint nut. I turned it and out 1/2 a turn. As I was turning it, it made the same sound. That fixed the clicking.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
It turns out the ball joint nuts were not tightened enough. Instead of taking it to the dealer and wasting half a day I checked mine and sure enough it was loose.
I tightened it and about 98% of the clicking went away. I also have a knock coming from the rear and the passenger side tire moves slightly when I grab and shake it (driver's side doesn't) so I will most likely get that looked at and mention having the ball joints rechecked.

I can tell you that 33lbs ain't enough. At 33 pounds I was still clicking as I tightened it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

You mention a steering problem with over inflated tires. What were you seeing and what psi are you running now? I randomly gets this "rattle" right up by the wheel, like a piece of plastic is loose. I take the wheel and adjust in and out up and down a bunch of times and sometimes it goes away.

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
You mention a steering problem with over inflated tires. What were you seeing and what psi are you running now? I randomly gets this "rattle" right up by the wheel, like a piece of plastic is loose. I take the wheel and adjust in and out up and down a bunch of times and sometimes it goes away.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

This is the thread that references over inflated tires from the dealer. When I went and installed aftermarket tires and rims and only had them inflated to 36lbs. There is no drift now!

The rattle you’re having, I haven’t had that problem. I would just try finding at what position you can consistently hear the promblem, and then start securing plastic pieces somehow.
Sponsored