Clicking noise coming from front end while turning at low speeds

ChargedUpJL

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe Rubicon, 2019 Grand Cherokee
Bought a 2021 4xe Rubicon about 6 weeks ago, and recently it started making a clicking/ticking noise when I'm turning at low speeds. Anyone else have experience with this issue? I took it to the dealer yesterday and their tech said it is coming from the front axel, and I'll probably have to turn the car over for a month or more, but they won't know for sure until getting it in for an appointment. I've seen posts that range from issues with the axel/ball joints, to simple fixes like tightening loose crown nuts.
Sponsored

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had the same issue with mine. I tightened the castle nuts on the ball joints. I tightened the uppers and lowers, but the lowers seemed to be the real culprit. I actually heard the same clicking/popping as I was tightening them, so I know it was coming from the ball joints.

Tightening them fixed about 99% of the clicking. I've heard it maybe once or twice since, but I used to hear 3-4 clicks or more every time I turned.

OP
OP

ChargedUpJL

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe Rubicon, 2019 Grand Cherokee
Thanks for that! Ended up taking to the dealer and they confirmed it was the same problem with loose castle nuts. Thankfully had it back same day vs. the original estimate that it could be a month if there was an issue with the front axel. Seems like someone working in QC at Jeep should been notified...

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I was one of the early people to have this issue and it was also the ball joint.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I have this issue as well. Tightened my lower drivers side castle nut and most of the clicking went away, however I now hear it every now and then on the passenger side. I’m just going to go around and tighten them all now. Almost have 3,000 miles on the Jeep

Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Add me to the list. My dealer just took care of this same issue today on my 4xe.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I have this issue as well. Tightened my lower drivers side castle nut and most of the clicking went away, however I now hear it every now and then on the passenger side. I’m just going to go around and tighten them all now. Almost have 3,000 miles on the Jeep
Me too. Due for my first (free, but likely aggravating) oil change and tire rotation. Going to have the ball joints checked too. If they quote me a month for repair, I'll do it myself. What torque did you shoot for when tightening?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Me too. Due for my first (free, but likely aggravating) oil change and tire rotation. Going to have the ball joints checked too. If they quote me a month for repair, I'll do it myself. What torque did you shoot for when tightening?
I forget the torque figure officially, but it's pretty vague. When installing it's something like torque to X amount, and then advance to the next slot in the castle nut. So since the nut is already torqued, tightening it to the next slot on the castle to eliminate the noise should do the trick.

This concern has been popping up since 2018 on here, and I experienced it myself on my 2019 JLR. It might come back eventually as the ball joint wears with mileage and you can likely tighten it a little more down the road, but at the end of the day the stock ball joints aren't all that great and have a plastic carrier insert. For unrelated reasons that kind of suck, I ended up getting a spicer Ultimate Dana 44 axle earlier this year which came with Dana Spicer HD greasable ball joints with no plastic inners, and they've never made a peep. Got a few buddies on these upgraded ball joints too with good results.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I forget the torque figure officially, but it's pretty vague. When installing it's something like torque to X amount, and then advance to the next slot in the castle nut. So since the nut is already torqued, tightening it to the next slot on the castle to eliminate the noise should do the trick.

This concern has been popping up since 2018 on here, and I experienced it myself on my 2019 JLR. It might come back eventually as the ball joint wears with mileage and you can likely tighten it a little more down the road, but at the end of the day the stock ball joints aren't all that great and have a plastic carrier insert. For unrelated reasons that kind of suck, I ended up getting a spicer Ultimate Dana 44 axle earlier this year which came with Dana Spicer HD greasable ball joints with no plastic inners, and they've never made a peep. Got a few buddies on these upgraded ball joints too with good results.
Thanks for the info. I can look up the torque spec...was just being lazy. I'm guessing it's around 40 ft-lbs. Good to know there's a greaseable option out there. Makes sense the plastic is settling-in and causing the loose joint.

comagt

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking noise coming from front end while turning at low speeds 1630354520439

From another thread with same issue. I also have the noise it but may have to check it myself, as my local dealers aren’t interested in helping any time soon. They also want me to go a week with no vehicle…
Sponsored